Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:26 AM
Kobold

Default Favorite Solo Classes?

I have a warrior and a necromancer, I think the necro is pretty cool as far as my solo experience goes but I'm not a huge fan of the warrior after 20+ levels. What is a really powerful and self-sustained solo class? or your favorite?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:38 AM
Planar Protector

Enchanter is prty crazy fun if done properly.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:50 AM
Planar Protector

if you like actually playing nothing beats a bard...nothing.

you can tell a horrible bard for a good one after about 30 secs of watching them.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:54 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if you like actually playing nothing beats a bard...nothing.

you can tell a horrible bard for a good one after about 30 secs of watching them.
What do you mean "actually playing"? How did you know I sit around for 20 minutes at a time getting not much done on a warrior? Because that's literally what happens.. Lol.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if you like actually playing nothing beats a bard...nothing
Running in circles around a giant group of monsters, staying just out of their hit range by staring at the bottom of the screen like you have OCD and continually looping and spamming a damage song? Yeah, that really sounds like "actually playing" a game.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Sarnak

Play what you enjoy, but Enchanter tops the cake for me. So much utility. Charm soloing is incredibly uber for leveling and for farming names. It is also a strategy that takes skill to execute, so it is a welcome challenge in even a 15 y/o game. When you're tired of soloing, a group will eat you right up. Just put that LFG tag up. Enchanter duo with a Cleric is also one of the most fun experiences I've had in game as a Cleric. It is VERY powerful. The last I duo'd was in Sebilis, and we each likely walked out with ~5k pp in just about 2 hours. We weren't there for the pp, it was a nice bonus to the amazing exp.

To charm solo efficiently as a chanter you have two options. The first is to purchase/loot a Goblin Gazughi Ring. The second is to pass on the ring and play a Dark Elf for the Hide skill. This is to break charms instantly, which is more helpful than using up a gem slot with an invis spell.
Old 05-12-2014, 06:57 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuranthium [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Running in circles around a giant group of monsters, staying just out of their hit range by staring at the bottom of the screen like you have OCD and continually looping and spamming a damage song? Yeah, that really sounds like "actually playing" a game.
Yeah if anything the bard sounds rather prone to abuse and easy advancement. Actually fighting things would be preferable. Starting to think Ench or SK I think.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:03 AM
Fire Giant

Enchanters can solo very well, look up some charm kiting guides/videos. They are also enjoyable in a group setting being able to control big pulls and support melee/casters.

Bards are really fun too, in the fact you can pull the entire zone and kill it, they level quick too because of this. You'll get people bitching at you here and there which is also why you'll see some hate for the class on the forums.

It's always fun to see people go from 60 to 0 on bitching when you ask them if they'd like to group up for a pull or two.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:20 AM
Planar Protector

Chanter is tops when it comes to soloing, imo. MR debuff, charm, haste, slow, runes, stuns, mezzes, lulls, mem blurs, ivu and invis, bind sight, these things all make crawling through the nastiest dungeons and killing the toughest names possible. It takes some practice to know when to use which of these tools, and to be able to use them well, though. Stuff like illusions and faction spells are awfully nice for a solo character in a distant land too. And enchanters have even more tools than these that are sometimes useful when solo, like animations!

Necros are strong soloers also. Imo with more finesse and effort they can accomplish most of the same stuff an enchanter can... they just don't get to be quite as direct about it. They've got sweet utility too, with intra-zone evacs, a 93% xp rez, corpse summons, etc.

Shamans are the direct, brute-force soloers. They're exceedingly powerful, although without a HUGE bankroll they don't have the potential of a chanter or necro. Their need for finesse comes in when trying to split a camp of high-level mobs, because the shaman's only CC is roots... although clickies refreshing spell gems nowadays makes a shaman's ability to CC with roots significantly better than it was before. Slow, malo, torpor, canni, these are the foundation of a shaman solo.

Every class can solo for XP at some speed or another. Every class can farm plat at some rate or another. But these are the three real solo classes if you are considering not only leveling up and farming seafuries/droga, but also making plat by soloing the highest-level named NPCs in places like the depths of sebilis or howling stones or the hole.

Velious is expected, by a lot of people, to weaken the relative power of enchanters because of higher-level NPCs (which are much more difficult or impossible for a chanter to stun, mez, or charm) and a lot of higher MR NPCs (which make everything for an enchanter harder) and NPCs just generally doing a lot more damage to players than stuff in classic or kunark does. This stuff will probably affect necromancers too, since even though they have non-MR spells, they still rely heavily on snare, root, mez, and/or fear to pull and kill things and wearing cloth (though they can kinda heal themselves). Shamans are the least affected by these changes because they kill with poison/disease/frost, have the biggest MR debuff, have a great heal, and will benefit the most from Velious gear upgrades... although I personally expect enchanters (and necros, I just don't have experience with one at 60 yet) to be very powerful in Velious still as long as they are a bit more careful about the zones/NPCs they mess with and understand that they WILL die sometimes.
Last edited by Tecmos Deception; 05-12-2014 at 07:25 AM..
Old 05-12-2014, 07:39 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Chanter is tops when it comes to soloing, imo. MR debuff, charm, haste, slow, runes, stuns, mezzes, lulls, mem blurs, ivu and invis, bind sight, these things all make crawling through the nastiest dungeons and killing the toughest names possible. It takes some practice to know when to use which of these tools, and to be able to use them well, though. Stuff like illusions and faction spells are awfully nice for a solo character in a distant land too. And enchanters have even more tools than these that are sometimes useful when solo, like animations!

Necros are strong soloers also. Imo with more finesse and effort they can accomplish most of the same stuff an enchanter can... they just don't get to be quite as direct about it. They've got sweet utility too, with intra-zone evacs, a 93% xp rez, corpse summons, etc.

Shamans are the direct, brute-force soloers. They're exceedingly powerful, although without a HUGE bankroll they don't have the potential of a chanter or necro. Their need for finesse comes in when trying to split a camp of high-level mobs, because the shaman's only CC is roots... although clickies refreshing spell gems nowadays makes a shaman's ability to CC with roots significantly better than it was before. Slow, malo, torpor, canni, these are the foundation of a shaman solo.

Every class can solo for XP at some speed or another. Every class can farm plat at some rate or another. But these are the three real solo classes if you are considering not only leveling up and farming seafuries/droga, but also making plat by soloing the highest-level named NPCs in places like the depths of sebilis or howling stones or the hole.

Velious is expected, by a lot of people, to weaken the relative power of enchanters because of higher-level NPCs (which are much more difficult or impossible for a chanter to stun, mez, or charm) and a lot of higher MR NPCs (which make everything for an enchanter harder) and NPCs just generally doing a lot more damage to players than stuff in classic or kunark does. This stuff will probably affect necromancers too, since even though they have non-MR spells, they still rely heavily on snare, root, mez, and/or fear to pull and kill things and wearing cloth (though they can kinda heal themselves). Shamans are the least affected by these changes because they kill with poison/disease/frost, have the biggest MR debuff, have a great heal, and will benefit the most from Velious gear upgrades... although I personally expect enchanters (and necros, I just don't have experience with one at 60 yet) to be very powerful in Velious still as long as they are a bit more careful about the zones/NPCs they mess with and understand that they WILL die sometimes.
Thanks for the elaborate post, I am probably just going to continue on the two characters I already have, I am just really frustrated with understanding the map dimensions especially trying to get to Omen from Cab. Removing the map system is probably a nice feeling for old players but I am not one of them. I just tried making a pvp wiz for red and the difficulty of something as simple as finding my trainer was sort of obnoxious. The struggle is real but I must continue, lol.