Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Old 12-02-2022, 02:51 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imago [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ranger isn't going to tank anything 50+ well, especially Velious era. A BIS 60 Ranger *might* be able to tank open world Kunark dragons with the right healers. Otherwise, your best bet is speed bumping and praying your next tank can rip threat off you by the time Weapon Shield is done.

That being said, HP > AC. Don't know much about whether it's ineffective past a certain threshold, but I wouldn't count on any kind of AC changing a flurry proc from quadding 900s to 700s.
thats not true, they make great tanks for VP for instance with good enough gear, ive tanked them several times.

edit: they can tank hot good with gear as well
Old 12-02-2022, 03:33 PM
Fire Giant

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
thats not true, they make great tanks for VP for instance with good enough gear, ive tanked them several times.

edit: they can tank hot good with gear as well
I feel like a ranger tanking hot would be awful, ac definitely helps a ton there/nod
Old 12-02-2022, 03:47 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allishia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I feel like a ranger tanking hot would be awful, ac definitely helps a ton there/nod
idk ive done it fine, sorry you dont got ranger tank
Old 12-02-2022, 03:52 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is that classic or a "feature" of p99?
It should depend what you're testing it on. The appropriate level where you should see a difference on a ranger would be a place like Sebilis or Velks. If you're trying to tank Vindi with a ranger, no, the difference is too large to see the AC impact. Basically, you should see a notable difference when you're within similar windows of attack vs ac. And steep falloffs before and after (always getting hit vs never getting hit).

Think mobs trying to hit you way above your level, vs while levelling up, vs after you've levelled past them.
Old 12-02-2022, 03:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripqozko [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
idk ive done it fine, sorry you dont got ranger tank
nobody sorry they dont got ranger tank in hot

hope this helps
Old 12-02-2022, 04:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
nobody sorry they dont got ranger tank in hot

hope this helps
sorry you got no guild to do it with, hope that helps.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:28 PM
Planar Protector

A ranger is a tank that has the snap agro of a knight, and the damage somewhere not too far below a monk with gear being equal. (Obviously it's easier for a monk to get gear that dramatically increases their damage than a ranger, such as the monk epic).

In appropriate gear, this makes them ideal tanks for group content up to and including Seb. A warrior tank brings damage, agro, and sturdiness, but not snap agro. A knight brings snap agro and studiness, but not damage. A ranger brings snap agro and damage, but not sturdiness. A monk brings damage, middling sturdiness, and middling agro with no snap agro.

Rangers also make ideal leveling tanks 1-50.

Obviously you'll want the mobs to be slowed, and it's easy with rangers to slow right off the bat. It doesn't take a warrior or a knight to survive slowed mobs, and having ranger damage over knight damage over the course of a session is a dramatic increase in efficiency. I've been a ranger tank in many a good group like this on P99.

Just don't go trying to tank raid mobs, especially post-Kunark. Can you do it? Sure. Should you? Ehhh...
Last edited by Lune; 12-02-2022 at 05:31 PM..
Old 12-02-2022, 05:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A ranger is a tank that has the snap agro of a knight, and the damage somewhere not too far below a monk with gear being equal. (Obviously it's easier for a monk to get gear that dramatically increases their damage than a ranger, such as the monk epic).

In appropriate gear, this makes them ideal tanks for content up to and including Seb. A warrior tank brings damage, agro, and sturdiness, but not snap agro. A knight brings snap agro and studiness, but not damage. A ranger brings snap agro and damage, but not sturdiness. A monk brings damage, middling sturdiness, and middling agro with no snap agro.

Rangers also make ideal leveling tanks 1-50.

Obviously you'll want the mobs to be slowed, and it's easy with rangers to slow right off the bat. It doesn't take a warrior or a knight to survive slowed mobs, and having ranger damage over knight damage over the course of a session is a dramatic increase in efficiency. I've been a ranger tank in many a good group like this on P99.

Just don't go trying to tank raid mobs, especially post-Kunark.
Ya they are fine in group content especially with slowed mobs. But hot is different, I would hate being a cleric healing ranger through those spikes. I've seen semi raid geared warriors get hp chunked in hot /nod.
Old 12-02-2022, 05:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allishia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ya they are fine in group content especially with slowed mobs. But hot is different, I would hate being a cleric healing ranger through those spikes. I've seen semi raid geared warriors get hp chunked in hot /nod.
I've seen ya tank, I'd take the ranger
Old 12-05-2022, 05:50 PM
Sarnak

the decompiled eqmac client (PoP) has these values...

Class Soft Cap
Warrior 430
Pal, Sk, Clr, Brd 403
Rng, Shm 375
Dru, Bst, Rog, Casters 350
Monk 315

(shields directly increase soft cap)

Over-cap Class Returns @ 60 Returns @ 65
Warrior 20% 33.3%
Knights 16.7% 25%
Bard 12.5% 16.7%
Rng, Bst 10% 14.3%
Mnk, Rog 5% 8.3%
Others 5% 5%

unknown whether or not p99 uses these values (probably not), made up their own, or got them from trilogy or titanium decompile

but to the person saying 120-130 AC is probably flat out wrong
Last edited by surron; 12-05-2022 at 05:54 PM..