Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 05:02 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atamen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rathe Council was grueling. The sheer amount of focus it took everyone in the raid to exert for the 2 hours it took to setup the encounter was incredible.

All it took was 1 missed heal on the groups tanking the non mezzables or one enchanter or bard getting a badly timed mez resist and it was game over, total wipe and the encounter blown until it popped back up a week later or whatever it was.

In fact, 3 out of the 4 elemental plane bosses in POP were highly stressful due to the stakes, and the uniqueness of the encounters.

There are some aspects of wow raiding that make it difficult, but for my money nothing compares to some of those raids in PoP and later expansions. They were just cruel.
That's not true, you could wipe on rathe council all day and keep attempting it, if you killed the 12 and then failed avatar of earth then you'd have to wait for respawn but no one failed AoE he was the joke part of the fight

Xegony had no timer
FR had a really long timer and then 24 hr on the mob that started the script if failed

Corinav and RZ were 2 that had very tight timers and was 3 days to wait if you failed
Old 12-04-2014, 05:08 AM
Fire Giant

Also wow raiding is way more difficult than eq it's not even a discussion

You need basically need 1 good player from every role in EQ which equates to maybe 10 good players in a raid of 40 and you will kill 90% of bosses without breaking a sweat at a competitive level in eq, unless every single player is pro you won't kill a single thing in a game like wow at the top end pve level
Old 12-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Kobold

I think currently wow is a lot harder in terms of fight mechanics. Timesinks do not equate to difficulty, they are just a matter of patience. Pop had some hard raids like rathe and coirnav. Layer expansions like dodh and tbs had tough end zones. Eq raids wre largely about controling mechanics over a long period and wipes tended to be gradual breakdowns. I raided wow a bit in cataclysm and in all honesty it was way harder than anything I had encountered in eq from classic to voa. Mechanically the fights were very reactive. One fuck up and you are dead and the consequences of that death were more sever with the smaller raid sizes.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Planar Protector

Never raided in WoW, but it's hard to believe anything would take less skill than EQ raiding, at least in the era we're in on P99. I mean, shit dies within 30 seconds of spawning here, with the biggest challenge being who can tag the mob first. The only skill here is convincing 30 unemployed people to not seek gainful employment and to leave their EQ client at server select with 8 toons ready to go depending on which mob pops.

Later expansions in EQ were far more challenging, but early EQ was pretty easy. Even PoP was fairly easy really. Coirnav was on the path to difficult encounters, but it was artificially difficult due to the lockout on failure. Took our guild like 3-4 attempts to do rathe. It was more about planning than anything. DoDh, TSS (prenerf), and TBS are where EQ raiding really got difficult. Of course those are about 8 expansions too late for this server.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Planar Protector

IMO, Wow uses bigger numbers to impress. EQ is lower numbers closer to 0 which means corpse art. WoW is easier than EQ but it is still a good game. Obviously the earlier on in (or start of) a game is usually when the thrill is fresh. I guess that's the same thrill we all try to seek each time we log in 'again' perhaps?
ehh...
54 Wiz LFG PST
Old 12-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Sarnak

Everyone is saying "EQ just takes numbers" but nobody is mentioning organizing a raid force of ~70 people with ZERO voice chat and how difficult that is

Leading the charge to bring back the classic feature /guildwar
Old 12-04-2014, 01:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolshed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Everyone is saying "EQ just takes numbers" but nobody is mentioning organizing a raid force of ~70 people with ZERO voice chat and how difficult that is
I found voice chat to be more of a distraction than anything. We didn't use voice chat in my guild and we did pretty well. Some people just can't stop themselves from talking. There's a significant portion of the population that has a pretty low threshold of when to turn thought directly into speech.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Kobold

Eh voice chat overrated. Our guild had server firsts from mc - aq without vent or coms
Old 12-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolshed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
lol
Old 12-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

how hard is it to tell me to autoattack and use their spells?