Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 07:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgellan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, dunno where you are, but I give entry level jobs to University or Community College grads, not guys with one cert under their belt... I've worked in industry as well as government, it's the same. No shortcuts, get at least a 2 year Community College certificate so you know more than one thing badly.

Regards,
Mg
This is a very interesting perspective. I've found that most places hiring programmers are deathly afraid of a fresh college grad with zero experience. Almost always someone who has certs or actual experience is preferred. Obviously this is exempt from work programs offered through colleges, but that is usually cheap unit test labor.

Unless of course you are talking about working for the government. A great opportunity for a new programmer, but a huge pay cut after you've reached your 2 and 5 year mark compared to the market of a big city.

Oh ya, make sure to record the date that you get payed to be a programmer. A clock starts ticking. After 2 years you're worth double and at 5 it doubles again.
Last edited by Naethyn; 02-07-2017 at 07:05 PM..
Old 02-07-2017, 07:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The best way to learn how to code is to use it to solve a problem. Creating a solution to solve a problem is the best driving force to learn that I know of.

I recommend staying away from a formal education. It is one of the few high paying fields out there that you will see college education or years experience.
I agree with the first part but every gov't or security sensitive programming job I've seen wont even look at you without a degree. At least all the places around here (New Mexico.)
Old 02-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Planar Protector

The thing is a computer science degree really shows employers you are a problem solver. Anyone can learn to code, not everyone can use code to solve problems.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:20 PM
Fire Giant

A computer science degree that will only be used in a tiny amount of areas. A college degree proves you can commit to something and follow through, and I could say the same about an Eagle Scout. The problem is CS doesn't actually provide any benefit unless you are in a specialized area (read: not actually making money - usually working for government)

There are two types of programmers. The 8-5 crew who is there to do a job (government), and then there is the guys who would be doing this anyways and mine as well get payed for it.

PS. check it for yourself: https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=softwa...r&l=new+mexico
"Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (related field) or equivalent work experience"
Old 02-07-2017, 07:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naethyn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A computer science degree that will only be used in a tiny amount of areas. A college degree proves you can commit to something and follow through, and I could say the same about an Eagle Scout. The problem is CS doesn't actually provide any benefit unless you are in a specialized area (read: not actually making money - usually working for government)

There are two types of programmers. The 8-5 crew who is there to do a job (government), and then there is the guys who would be doing this anyways and mine as well get payed for it.

PS. check it for yourself: https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=softwa...r&l=new+mexico
"Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science (related field) or equivalent work experience"
Odd because all the employers I talked to face to face require a degree. This included every state/federal gov't jobs as well as all the good paying research and development jobs. I graduate next semester so I've kinda looked around into this.
Old 02-07-2017, 07:27 PM
Fire Giant

I'm saying that state and federal jobs require a college education. It is the places actually making money (big websites, b2b services, app developers) that don't care at all about college education and would rather have someone with minimal experience on the job instead almost every single time.
Old 02-07-2017, 08:55 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Let's consider C# and Java from the perspective of making a game as a hobby. For those two, the main options are: Unity3D that focuses heavily upon C# and LibGDX that goes with Java. On that note, there is also Unreal for C++ usage, but I am only giving it slight attention in this message post.

In the beginning, the choice begins with what language you prefer. The three engines I listed have similar performance, and they start out free. It is common to begin with 2D graphics as you learn. I suspect that is a reason why so many Indie games look like they originated from the Super Nintendo / Sega Genesis era. If you even care about that, check out Steam maybe.

Unity3D supports more platforms than LibGDX in the area of gaming. In my meager opinion, LibGDX allows for more code control. From a professional view, Java on its own innately supports more platforms. However, stuff like Mono is allowing C# to catch up a bit.

I am not aware of how sensitive C# is to reverse-engineering. As of the time of this posting, the best protection of code in the wild for Java seems to involve a client to server relationship similar to Diablo 3. That alone isn't enough of course. As examples, Spine and Minecraft employ that tactic with whatever measures of success.

As a final note, mixing Blender and Manuel Bastioni's work can be fun. I am using some of the stuff as a reference for my 2D hobby. Also, Krita rocks if you can draw. It can go well with GIMP, depending on how you use it.
Last edited by shatterblast; 02-07-2017 at 08:57 PM..
Old 02-08-2017, 02:31 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgellan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
As for bullshitting your way through interviews, I'm a programmer with 30 years experience and now at a Director level, so I'm the guy across the table from you at an interview. It will take me 10 seconds to figure out if you're full of shit. In fact I've probably made you write a test before you ever get to sit at the table.
im learning this more the rule and not the exception. know your shit
Old 02-08-2017, 05:28 AM
Banned

yea def dont try to pull the wool over a programmer they already nihilists as it is, dont push em.

I think one of the best things you can do if you are interested in programming but dont know where to start is go to your local city college and take an Intro to C++ class to familiarize yourself with the basics. Then figure out what you're interested in and research languages that are the leading industry of your choice's flavor of the month.

Lots of ppl are using python in AI tech right now for example, idk if its going to stay that way, it may, it may not, but whatever. but if that's what you were interested in trying out in the imitate future spend like 2 years at city collage and try to get a job in tech. Tech is nuts they programmers like crazy.

Or decide to just go all in and do get a degree if you cant quite figure out how to forge your own path.

But dont try to BS your way into any jobs and take it all seriously cus like everyone agrees, they'll catch you and have no remorse when they throw your resume in the garbage.

Also if you dont want to take a class, find an intro to c++ book that schools use and just read/work through the whole thing. Youll be suprised at what you can accomplish after even just that.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:09 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angushjalmur [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
make a dinky rpg and look up how to do shit as you go

experience is better than studying
Seriously though, looking stuff up is studying. It's more than memorizing whatever for some test. It's about knowledge, understanding, and maybe even "wisdom" if you go that far into it.
Last edited by shatterblast; 02-09-2017 at 01:12 PM..
Closed Thread