Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 02-11-2023, 06:47 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New duo looking for recommendations.

Hey everyone! Recently my gf and I decided to give p99 a go after talking about the nostalgia of eq. She had an enchanter maxed (luclin) back when she played so she wants to go with one. I had a ranger that I played with friends, it was recommended to me. I never loved the class just the entire world. We were also all twinked because of my friend's dad.

Long story short I'm not exactly sure what is want to be to do with her. I've searched for good partners but it seems like it's less geared towards leveling and more 60 camping. We're also starting fresh so we will be naked and poor. We also would like to group when we can so not strict duo.

Saying that I like having versatility in a class and I like being active. I tried a bard and while it's got cool stuff it didn't speak to me... Maybe too busy lol. In general, I like casting with maybe some melee. Classes that didn't seem interesting to me were Cleric, monk, paladin, ranger, rogue, warrior, and wizard. One's I think might like would be bard (maybe im too low), druid, magician, necro, shadow knight, and shaman.

I'm not too worried about race(hate trolls and ogres) because I think I've got the memory to get anywhere. iksar might suck running back and forth for spells/training but it's doable.

Sorry for the long post, we're having fun so far just reliving the newbie areas. Excited to be back and start the grind! Thanks in advance.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:10 PM
Fire Giant

If she wants to play an Enchanter, both Necro and Shaman would make good duo partners along the way, as well as at 60. The other classes you mentioned interest in would be decent as a duo, but somewhat less effective than the Necro or Shaman. Both of those classes are pretty active as well, although don’t really melee, since you mentioned it. Paladin and Enchanter is also pretty solid, but you mentioned not having interest there. Druids another option, but heals won’t keep up with pet health later on, and groups are somewhat prejudice against Druids.

It goes without saying however that a Cleric/Enchanter duo is probably the best duo in the game. Cleric is boring though imo.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:41 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks for the reply. Yeah cleric or pure healers have never really interested me in any game. I like the idea of both of those... mainly, Shaman is going to have a lot of utility from buffs, heals, and SoW. Necro is interesting too, I remember them being THE solo class back when I played. I didn't realize that they seem to have a lot of utility in their kit too. I think I'm going to try Shaman first and go from there.
Old 02-12-2023, 12:08 PM
Planar Protector

Welcome back!

Ench and Cleric is really good.

Ench and necro likewise, double charming and a summon pet for certain fights/grinds. Snare is always handy.

Druid/ench is also not bad. Even if just for ench support (snare/heals/DS) you get a ton of mobility. Can literally just start the game with a "where should we go today?"
Old 02-12-2023, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

I will say sometimes Enchanters and Shaman's when joining other groups will sometimes step on each others toes a little bit, but Shaman's a good duo with almost every class really. But yeah necro with enchanter is fantastic too. Really sticking a pet class into a group is amazing because you eliminate the chance of pet xp penalty. Two pet classes go really well together. Here is one additional tidbit:

Magicians and enchanters get along super well because Enchanters lack burst artillery, and magicians lack control, and the enchanter and mage remove each others pet penalties. Necro is kind of the same thing.
Old 02-13-2023, 12:27 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks for the replies! I ended up rolling a Necro named Diablist on green along with Kelcia. We're low but if anyone has any alts we'd be happy to make some friends!
Old 02-13-2023, 09:39 AM
Planar Protector

the answer is necromancer

superb duo w/ enc (arguably best leveling duo in the game)

get used to charming early
Old 02-18-2023, 01:21 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
the answer is necromancer

superb duo w/ enc (arguably best leveling duo in the game)

get used to charming early
best leveling duo depends more on zone than class imo but necro and enchanter is strong in a lot of places.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:25 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valakut [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
best leveling duo depends more on zone than class imo but necro and enchanter is strong in a lot of places.
nah it really doesnt - even with no undead around to charm a necro complements a leveling enchanter perfectly, even better than cleric

@OP - just play necro