Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Get the torch first if you can. Chain summon PL yourself to 50 ezpz
Serious question, when I chain cast fire pet he doesn't cast his damage shield in time before engaging. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of using the fire pet? Am I doing something wrong?
Old 03-22-2016, 12:27 PM
Sarnak

When you summon your new fire pet you'll need to back the pet off and kite the mob for a few seconds until you see the pet cast its damage shield, then you'll be good to send the pet in again.
Old 03-22-2016, 06:10 PM
Planar Protector

I found spamming /pet back followed by /pet attack meant he would still get most of his swings in but would cast the fire shield almost as quick.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:38 PM
Fire Giant

Wizards:
Pros: Great travel ability, great burst DPS, useful on raids, easy epic.

Cons: Very gear dependent, hard to find groups, lots of down time, need to be able to kite to solo effectively

Comments: Wizards aren't for everyone but I know a lot of people who really enjoy their wizard. They are a class that peaks on single targets and winds up sitting a lot more than nuking. They are much like warriors in that they are very gear dependent. They need a very large mana pool to be a successful at soloing or grouping. You can get the whole quad kite to 5% health, but if you are OOM then GL finishing it off =) And they really start to shine with epic and a mana robe, but those aren't easily obtainable. Basically this is a class that requires a certain type of player that is willing to stick it out.

Mages:
Pros: Can solo and group easily. Can farm straight forward camps efficiently, some cool novelty spells. Good DPS. Getting loot on raids that is mage spefic is easy because there are few raiding mage mains.

Cons: Can be a boring class at times. Gets abused for CoTH on raid scene. Not great raid DPS till epic pet. Hard epic quest. Horrible CC abilities.

This is a very fun class. Great at soloing for XP or easy farming where pulling is not an issue. As a mage you will be good DPS and with pretty nice nukes and the best pets in game. The different pets also offer a fun way to switch up your play styles. The best part is your DPS is not directly tied to your mana pool like the wizard. Also once you have epic pet you will wreck things. Take time to look up the stats on that pet, it will blow your mind. That being said, the epic is not easy by any means and has some huge bottle necks that require a raid force. In the end though, this is a chill class that has a good utility at all levels of gameplay. And like one poster said, people always end up remembering how awesome mages are in a group after you group with them.

Conclusion: INT casters have taking a major down turn because of the advantage given to melee first in Kunark and reinforced in Velious, so if you're looking to min/max or be that pivotal class on a raid these are not the classes for you. But that also means a lot of good caster gear can be bought on the cheap side. If I had to pick i'd pick a mage. EQ for me is rooted in the social experience and wizard is simply too isolating of a class. Good luck with the choice!
Old 03-26-2016, 10:56 AM
Planar Protector

^ Aren't mage nukes only like 10% below Wiz nukes? Wouldn't that make them a good burn dps class too?

I'd also add one small side benefit to mage, their damage shield is a nice buff to throw on newbies for some good karma or helping a friend get through those first 10 or 15 levels.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Fire Giant

yea the highest lvl mage nuke does a little over 1k dmg
Old 03-26-2016, 11:15 AM
Fire Giant

problem with mages is they are all fire and magic nukes, wizards get lures too which means they can't be resisted.
Old 03-26-2016, 01:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naerron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
problem with mages is they are all fire and magic nukes, wizards get lures too which means they can't be resisted.
Non lure wizard spells 50+ also get a slight resist mod (fire/ice at least) How much this helps? /shrug. Really have to look at mage v. Wiz nukes on a case by case basis.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:33 PM
Fire Giant

I meant in the raid scene. As a mage I often help more by doing rods and keeping my pet alive than running in to nuke
Old 04-11-2016, 07:52 AM
Sarnak

I played a wizard to the high 50's in the live days and just dinged 36 on my wizard here on p99 last night before bed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As a lot of folks are saying, mages are a blast. I used to borrow my friends 55 mage to farm plat and just crush lower level dungeons/guards/creatures etc with zero effort. The pets are great, do good damage, tank well, and proc a lot. Mages are fun and you can play mage more constantly (less sitting around doing nothing).

Wizards are hard. The early levels are brutal and you just suck and die a lot and watch the pet casters run around on ez-mode (not really, but relative).

Wizards are good second charcters. When you can get your int to 200 at level 16 and quad with SOW potions....it is a lot better twinked and the second time around.

I'm a solo person. I soloed 1-36 on my wizard, 1-45 on my shaman, 1-31 on my nec. I did group with my shaman just for dungeon adventures, but if I'm just going to be killing things outdoors I can do it on my own pretty quickly and well on most classes. Even my warrior solos blues and the downtime isn't bad because troll + ikky regen BP.

Quadding makes up for a lot of the mana regeneration...you can kill 1.5 mobs per mana bar, or you can kill 4 while quadding. It is pretty sweet. When you start getting Pillar and Column line of spells you can do this, you don't have to wait to Cobalt Scar to slaughter things as a wizard [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

It is worth noting that SOW 10 shots are only 50pp per if you have a shaman make them, the trivial level is very low.
Last edited by Skinned; 04-11-2016 at 07:57 AM..
Closed Thread