Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 03:41 AM
Orc

Ehh I was running 4 pc's by 2001 anyway so.. lol.

If anything the lack of boxing is what makes this server less classic. I honestly wish someone would rip off p99's code and release it publicly. I'd love to see an exactly copy that allowed boxing, I might still play if that existed. I just have too much going on in my life to wait around with thumb up my ass LFGroup/LFPort/LFCleric/LF whatever for hours. No boxing actually just ends up making the game rather boring at times, and forces you to waste time afk waiting on stuff to do. I mean hell the only reason to level a druid is to PL 1-40 and port. Generally just ended up pl'ing afk friends then we'd swap and they'd pl me in return while I went out. Lack of boxing if anything makes the game less social, not more so. If we could actually play together with an out of group alt buffing, or log a cleric alt, all my friends wouldn't have quit from boredom waiting on those 1 or 2 extra people to round out the group. Lack of boxing just means 1-50 is spent afk getting a PL. Only to hit 50+ and spend hours trying to fill 2-3 slots in Karnor's/Seb and generally getting sick of it without ever having really played.

The other truth is about 1/2 the player base are boxed characters anyway. The trick is simply to never play them at the same location. Hell as long as a caster is sitting it's pretty much assumed he is doing his job. Why do you think people take so long to respond to tells? Lol. No one is going to admit to it... but a hell of a lot of them run 2-4. I'm not just blowing smoke either, you'd be amazed how many people openly admit stuff in voice chat that won't on boards/in game due to banning fears.
Last edited by Jhaerik; 11-23-2017 at 04:01 AM..
Old 11-24-2017, 07:32 AM
Sarnak

Yeah boxing STARTED gaining minor popularity in 2001, by 2002 a lot of people had buff or rez bots.

Getting away with boxing on p99 though is probably about as rare as having lots of computers was during real velious? At least to hear you tell it jhaerik. I think it's much rarer than that, although I did once see someone who was clearly afk practicing spells and/or buffing in response to /say
If you want to play with bots and boxes you can always play p2002 or live servers.

I do sort of miss MGB, if p2002 actually had a player base I might play on it. P99 is trying to be unique though, and everywhere else allows boxing, might as well be unique and not allow it here.

Your logic sounds reasonable, but historical evidence suggests that boxing now absolutely does harm socialness. I think the reason you don't think this to be true is that in 2001 boxing didn't harm socialness, because a) technical limitations and b) there weren't any other more popular MMORPGS competing for that attention.
Using a box for 1minute a day just to port/rez/buff in 2001 didn't harm social aspects that much. In 2017 though people setup complicated /tell triggers and mirror keystrokes and all sorts of stuff and actively play entire groups alone (very common on daybreak TLP servers). P99 rules on this matter might seem strict but, given well... how many people you seem to think are "getting away" with breaking that rule, they have to be strict to catch anyone at all!
Last edited by dbouya; 11-24-2017 at 07:37 AM..
Old 11-24-2017, 07:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbouya [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah boxing STARTED gaining minor popularity in 2001, by 2002 a lot of people had buff or rez bots.

Getting away with boxing on p99 though is probably about as rare as having lots of computers was during real velious? At least to hear you tell it jhaerik. I think it's much rarer than that, although I did once see someone who was clearly afk practicing spells and/or buffing in response to /say
If you want to play with bots and boxes you can always play p2002 or live servers.

I do sort of miss MGB, if p2002 actually had a player base I might play on it. P99 is trying to be unique though, and everywhere else allows boxing, might as well be unique and not allow it here.

Your logic sounds reasonable, but historical evidence suggests that boxing now absolutely does harm socialness. I think the reason you don't think this to be true is that in 2001 boxing didn't harm socialness, because a) technical limitations and b) there weren't any other more popular MMORPGS competing for that attention.
Using a box for 1minute a day just to port/rez/buff in 2001 didn't harm social aspects that much. In 2017 though people setup complicated /tell triggers and mirror keystrokes and all sorts of stuff and actively play entire groups alone (very common on daybreak TLP servers). P99 rules on this matter might seem strict but, given well... how many people you seem to think are "getting away" with breaking that rule, they have to be strict to catch anyone at all!
I don't think it's common here at all. I have seen maybe 3 situations where I thought I might be seeing someone box over the coarse of 5 years off and on.

Most people come here to enjoy "classic" EQ and that usually includes avoiding boxing, and I honestly believe the staff is diligent in catching boxers.
Old 11-24-2017, 12:40 PM
Large Rat

I am home for the holidays and trying to play with my brother, but I can't seem to make an IP exemption request. When I try to make a new thread in the Petition / Exploit section it does not appear and says I have made 0 threads. Am I doing something wrong or do I just have to wait? Thanks!
Old 11-24-2017, 02:00 PM
Server GM

Kseaq, I merged your petitions, you had 4 of them :P They all were stuck in the filter.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:24 PM
Sarnak

Just a side note, in velious I did 2 box on one computer and it was not a power rig. I am not arguing for a removal of the exemption, just saying it was totally possible and yes people will lock down spawns. I locked down Lodizal with a 60 war and a 50ish cleric for a couple weeks. While I would like to have a port/rez account I can understand the aversion to 2 boxing and can respect that. It would be too tempting not to abuse.

I just wanted to dispel the myth that 2 copies of EQ couldn't run on the same box. You just needed to have 2 separate folders for the game. I have never owned 2 computers simultaneously.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:22 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Kseaq, I merged your petitions, you had 4 of them :P They all were stuck in the filter.
I'm not Kseaq, but did you guys do ip exemptions recently? I've had a petition up for a couple weeks.

No rush but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss this round. The wife is going to get pissed at me.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:38 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm not Kseaq, but did you guys do ip exemptions recently? I've had a petition up for a couple weeks.

No rush but just wanted to make sure I didn't miss this round. The wife is going to get pissed at me.
Also wondering about this... I put my petition in 15 days ago.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:22 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Yeah, I'm hoping to get one as well. Me and my wife have to take turns playing but it would be really nice if we could play together.
Closed Thread