Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 12:55 AM
Large Rat

Default So...apparently NPCs only take exact change.

I've never played EQ before, I'm slowly picking my way through the game, doing all the quests I can (even though obviously some aren't worth it -- I'm not super interested in power leveling at the mo' so it's no biggie). I was doing the Wolf Hide Armor quests with goold ol' Baobob Miller. Did the belt, worked fine. Surprisingly it sold for more than the 5 gold required to make it, so that was nice.

Tried doing the boots. He asked for a medium-quality wolf skin and 15 gold. Well, I didn't have 15 gold on me at the time, but I did have 1 platinum and 5 gold. Gave him it all, and he said, "Great. Now I'll just need the rest of the items." Or however he phrased it.

I had to quit playing shortly thereafter. I'm hoping that if I go back and give him ten actual gold pieces before the (weekly?) server reset, the quest will complete. I have more pelts, but I don't thrill at wasting platinum as a new player.

I mean, I'll bring 25 gold and another pelt so if he doesn't do anything after the ten gold, I can just wholly give him another pelt and money. And hopefully he'd accept that. Still. Lesson learned.

Anyway -- can someone confirm for me that indeed, NPCs who you have to give money for for quests require exact change? The quest didn't just bug out, it's that the code was specifically looking for 15 gold and a medium wolf pelt, and it ignored the platinum?

Also: when is the server routinely reset? Or whatever it's called when everything gets refreshed (all the vendors have random junk that was sold to them cleared, the many, many corpses littering newbie zones get despawned, etc.). I wanna make sure I hop back on and give Baobob another go before the refresh, because I'm sure he won't remember that I already gave him a pelt and five gold after a refresh.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:21 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Hey there - unfortunately I think you'll need to redo the quest. This being an old game, there are lots of things that aren't very user friendly... that quest is one of them.

NPCs don't really have a "memory" in EverQuest beyond a few seconds (minutes?) So they won't remember you handed this stuff in previously.

I'm sure it's difficult to eat a loss like that early on. Just remember it's not much gold in the long run... you'll be earning much more than that in a few levels.
Old 11-28-2017, 02:30 AM
Planar Protector

Mobs require exact money. Jboots quest for example needs specifically 3250 gold.

NPC's have infinite memory with item turn ins as long as no server restart / earthquake. I believe some people used to troll MQ's by turning in the 'easy' item and just leaving it on mob for MQ seller to turn in.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:33 PM
Large Rat

Well, I went back, gave him ten gold, nothing. I had some spare pelts so I experimented. I gave him just the medium pelt, then just 15 gold. Nothing. Gave him 15 gold and a medium pelt at the same time, and it worked just fine. Figured I'd check just to be sure. I'll recoup the money eventually. So it indeed appears you have to give NPCs exactly precisely what they ask for, how they ask for it. Now I know.
Closed Thread