Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Old 11-09-2022, 03:54 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Wizard Post 50

I have been bouncing back and forth between alts when not playing with friends and have been trying to figure out if there is one I could stick with for a bit.

I would be playing my alt at the end of the night so looking for something chill which would probably consist of mostly solo play but could be up for grouping if in the mood. I then remembered my Wizard that is lvl 51. When I did play him, I really had fun grouping with friends (cc with root, stuns, etc) but I also recall how chill he was when I was soloing. There were a bunch of solo camps/named mobs I could just root and nuke and then chill and watch a show in between the respawn timer.

I have seen a lot of post for quadding 51+ and have a pretty good idea the places I would go if I wanted to do that. I am just wondering if there are many safe camps where you solo root/nuke and just chill out until it respawns?

Also wondering from anyone what they think of the class come lvl 60. I don't see myself raiding but would be up for grouping. When not doing either of those things do you still find the class enjoyable solo wise at 60 and have things to do?

Just looking for some feedback, especially solo(root/nuke) play 51+ as if I decided to play my wizard again, I would have to take some time and re-gear him as he only has a temp staff and pegasus cloak on him
Old 11-09-2022, 03:57 PM
Planar Protector

Wizard at 60 is essentially a raid-only class.

Can they group? Sure.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:00 PM
Banned

during live i recall exclusively quad kiting (if not random Kael Raids & Chardok) in the old world until quitting EQ @ 58 during PoP

i vaguely recall dabbling in ToFS but not entirely sure I was soloing Tserrina or via group
Old 11-10-2022, 01:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnCanuck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I have been bouncing back and forth between alts when not playing with friends and have been trying to figure out if there is one I could stick with for a bit.

I would be playing my alt at the end of the night so looking for something chill which would probably consist of mostly solo play but could be up for grouping if in the mood. I then remembered my Wizard that is lvl 51. When I did play him, I really had fun grouping with friends (cc with root, stuns, etc) but I also recall how chill he was when I was soloing. There were a bunch of solo camps/named mobs I could just root and nuke and then chill and watch a show in between the respawn timer.

I have seen a lot of post for quadding 51+ and have a pretty good idea the places I would go if I wanted to do that. I am just wondering if there are many safe camps where you solo root/nuke and just chill out until it respawns?

Also wondering from anyone what they think of the class come lvl 60. I don't see myself raiding but would be up for grouping. When not doing either of those things do you still find the class enjoyable solo wise at 60 and have things to do?

Just looking for some feedback, especially solo(root/nuke) play 51+ as if I decided to play my wizard again, I would have to take some time and re-gear him as he only has a temp staff and pegasus cloak on him
I main a wizard and I raid pretty often...I would say it's really not that great of a class outside of raiding. They're dope in raids, great DPS if they're supported.

Grouping is fine if you have like, a Velk robe where you can just chill and nuke for free every mob and then burn mana on bad situations. If you have an enchanter or a bard, you can just lean on Ice Spear whenever its up and cruise control at 70dps being super mana efficient. But if you _don't_ have C2 / bard mana / both, you dry up pretty quickly at the pace most groups pull. You can feel fairly inadequate pretty quickly.

Solo farming is doable but not like pet classes. Anything you have to kill nearly everything on the way to is a pain in the ass. They don't feel good farming for things, there's a lot of down time. And finding the wizard self invis vs undead is kinda rare, I don't think I've seen anyone selling them on green so that can be a barrier to getting to certain places unless you invest in pots.

You can farm low level content very easily with AOEs, but you're pretty limited on what you can solo that's actually worth a lot.

I wouldn't recommend it as a class if you don't intend to raid. Grouping isn't that enjoyable/good, solo farming is, I would say, easily the worst of all the casters besides maybe clerics.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnCanuck [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am just wondering if there are many safe camps where you solo root/nuke and just chill out until it respawns?
Everfrost - Dom, Bandl, Lish McMarrin. All level 40, easy to single pull. Can afk easily.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:32 PM
Aviak

Wizard was my main back when I played from 1999-2001. This time around I got a Necro and Enc to 60.

Honestly, like everyone else has said, outside of raiding, Wiz are pretty lacking.

If you want to just root, kill stuff and chill, I'd suggest a necro. You can root rot things if that's your jam, plus so much more when you want to do something else. They're actually great for farming low level stuff, great for soloing, great for exploring dangerous areas, surprisingly good for groups, and okayish if boring on raids.
Old 11-10-2022, 02:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranceminus [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and okayish if boring on raids.
Necros can do a lot on raids.
Old 11-10-2022, 03:19 PM
Banned

any bone walkers B)
Old 11-10-2022, 04:35 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
any bone walkers B)