Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 01-13-2023, 08:26 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default New guy

Howdy. I'm just starting out and I rolled a Ranger, from what I've read I'll regret that here.
I started on live in 03 when I was 37 and I've been there for 19 years. I finally got bored enough to try something new. You can probably thank Michael's Shenanigans for that, or hate him for it.
Anyway, hello.
Old 01-23-2023, 08:36 PM
Aviak

Welcome back ! Rangers are cool , maybe just not quite what many would roll for a first char. That said , if you're having fun , good enough !
Old 01-24-2023, 03:52 AM
Fire Giant

All melee chars are pretty gear dependant, that's why a lot of people like to start with a caster. That said, pretty nice gear can be attained pretty cheaply nowadays. Most important for a ranger are of course weapons and armor. For less than 100 plats you can get a full set of banded armor, that's "good enough" for a long time. For another 100 plats you can get pretty decent weapons, but supply varies. You should check east commons often when you have the plats.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:36 AM
Sarnak

Which server are you on?
Old 01-24-2023, 11:44 AM
Planar Protector

If you're in it for the long haul, start as a caster. They're cheaper to gear. Level up, learn the zones, and make enough money to twink out a melee.

Enchanter has the most earning potential but is also the highest skillcap.

Necro / mage is fine. Very beginner friendly.

Druid can make money via porting...so you don't have to spend as much time leveling...its just kind of boring.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:23 PM
Banned

My first character was a Rogue.

I was ultimately okay, but it took me forever to get to 60 because Rogues cannot solo at all.

Rangers are in a similar boat. Mainly because they're a Melee class. Melee classes, although good, aren't exactly solo-friendly. Especially when not geared, which a starting character won't be.

Another thing to keep an eye on is that since you are a Ranger, you may be expected to pull. Luckily, pulling with a Ranger is easy if you use Harmony. But pulling for a group will require some dungeon/zone knowledge.

However, if you let your group know you don't know the zone well, they will be happy to show you around. I have never had any bad experiences when I mention that.

But Rangers are a blast to play. Ultimately play what you find fun.

But if you get bored of playing the Ranger, I'd recommend playing a character that can make some cash for the Ranger. Like a Necro or Druid.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:44 PM
Aviak

Personally I think people worship gear a little too much. So often I swear it seems like they believe you can't play the game without a fungi and about 300k worth of twink gear. The advice always seems to center around oh don't start what you want to play, just make a chanter/necro make 300k plat, buy all the best of everything you can buy so you'll never earn an upgrade again unless you raid, then play the class and burn through all the levels as fast an efficiently as possible and never pay attention to the world around you.

That's fine if people want to play that way but really I rarely twink a character. I typically start a new character with no help(even melees like warriors), make all my own money on that character and just play the game. I get groups, solo, seek out places I haven't been and drops I haven't camped and just take my time. What I'm saying is enjoy your Ranger, you'll be fine. If you're having fun with the class then play it. Understand the limitations, although that's mostly just that there's a few casters that have trouble getting groups, and otherwise have fun.
Old 01-24-2023, 12:50 PM
Banned

True, and part of the fun is earning your own gear as you go.

Which is why when I 'twink' an alt, I typically only do Fungi + Haste item + weapon and maybe some HP rings. Everything else I get as I go.
Old 01-24-2023, 03:09 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Blue

I am on the Blue server. I've had every class under the sun on live. I have been devoted to each of them at the time they held my interest. I don't recall where I read that rangers don't do so well on emu servers, it was probably just an opinion I should not have paid attention to. I have not found my Ranger to be a liability in any way and I'm sure I won't. I found a great guild and they have donated gear to me that should hold me for quite a while.
Old 01-24-2023, 10:24 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luthiencor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I am on the Blue server. I've had every class under the sun on live. I have been devoted to each of them at the time they held my interest. I don't recall where I read that rangers don't do so well on emu servers, it was probably just an opinion I should not have paid attention to. I have not found my Ranger to be a liability in any way and I'm sure I won't. I found a great guild and they have donated gear to me that should hold me for quite a while.
It's probably related to min/max type discussions vs the reality of just having fun with this game. In terms of absolutes there's not really a situation a ranger would be in that a monk or rogue wouldn't be better. In terms of solo there's better classes at that etc. The reality of the world, though, is no one cares. No one is concerned with actually min/maxing to that degree and these discussions are more theoretical than practical.