Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reguiy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's a different between classic gameplay and classic features. I'm all for classic gameplay, however, there are certain updated client features which make things work more smoothly without compromising the integrity ofclassic gameplay. For instance, no one needs to type out 30 characters in chat in order to give someone the stats on the item they just looted. That's just silly.
It's not silly at all. Classic EQ was designed with all of those little incoveniences in mind. By speeding things up with things like item linking, no night blindness, custom ui's etc you trivialize a time element that the content was designed for. During "classic" here we still had things like maps, spellsets and more hotkeys than we ever had during actual classic. If you don't think those things don't allow players to inhale the content than was ever possible in real classic you are simply in denial.

And advocating for such things is just short of advocating for translocators, returning items on incorrect npc turnins, etc. None of it is classic and all of it, including the nonclassic things that are still present, contributes to the monty haul mentality that persists on the part of many here.

If non classic things that one person finds trivial, like UI conveniences are allowed, then another will want something else. If you can insist on keeping item linking, then someone else can insist on keeping spell sets and in game maps. Or 12 hotkeys. Or custom chat channels. etc etc. And it will never end.

The point of the server is to be classic. Not classic-ish. And that's where the line needs to be drawn.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekapaug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not silly at all. Classic EQ was designed with all of those little incoveniences in mind. By speeding things up with things like item linking, no night blindness, custom ui's etc you trivialize a time element that the content was designed for. During "classic" here we still had things like maps, spellsets and more hotkeys than we ever had during actual classic. If you don't think those things don't allow players to inhale the content than was ever possible in real classic you are simply in denial.

And advocating for such things is just short of advocating for translocators, returning items on incorrect npc turnins, etc. None of it is classic and all of it, including the nonclassic things that are still present, contributes to the monty haul mentality that persists on the part of many here.

If non classic things that one person finds trivial, like UI conveniences are allowed, then another will want something else. If you can insist on keeping item linking, then someone else can insist on keeping spell sets and in game maps. Or 12 hotkeys. Or custom chat channels. etc etc. And it will never end.

The point of the server is to be classic. Not classic-ish. And that's where the line needs to be drawn.
Gonna call bullshit on that. As an easy target, your complaint about the speeding up with no night blindness: Halflings get xp bonus, no nightblindness, and better stats for druid/cleric, with the only disadvantage being the horrible background music in Rivervale that even the classic client allowed you to turn off without giving up useful aural feedback.

What you're calling "design" is a semi-random, barely half thought out, don't actually have more than the faintest clue how players will behave, aggregation of goodness and mediocrity and crap that happened to work out okay because some of the good bits fit together very well. That doesn't make the bad good, it doesn't turn piles of steaming dung into steak dinners, it just means that there was enough good to outweigh the bad.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekapaug [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think a lot of the EQC people who are now all beyond the custom content server overlook this. Some of them are saying things like, "I rushed through the content on P99 because I knew where everything was." Let's ignore the "I have to finish this!" type of mindset, where you have to get to max level as soon as possible.

A lot of these guys don't seem to realize that you also had a lot of things that made it easier to devour the content faster: item linking, no night blindness, more hotkeys and spellsets. As you said, the time element that the content was designed for was trivialized. It wasn't a classic experience; it couldn't have been.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Gonna call bullshit on that. As an easy target, your complaint about the speeding up with no night blindness: Halflings get xp bonus, no nightblindness, and better stats for druid/cleric, with the only disadvantage being the horrible background music in Rivervale that even the classic client allowed you to turn off without giving up useful aural feedback.

What you're calling "design" is a semi-random, barely half thought out, don't actually have more than the faintest clue how players will behave, aggregation of goodness and mediocrity and crap that happened to work out okay because some of the good bits fit together very well. That doesn't make the bad good, it doesn't turn piles of steaming dung into steak dinners, it just means that there was enough good to outweigh the bad.
WTF are you even talking about?

This discussion isn't about how classic EQ was designed. If you have a problem with halfings having infravision and an exp bonus but other races not, I may or may not disagree with you but we aren't here to "fix" classic EQ beyond any changes that actually occurred during the classic era. Take all that up with Brad McQuaid.

It's about non classic features being available here. As others have said, if you don't want to play on a classic server, there are other EMUs. The stated mission of this server is to recreate classic EQ. Not, classic-ish but with changes and features that came later that people happen to like. Something is either classic and appropriate for this server, or it is not, meaning it is not appropriate for this server.
Old 09-23-2013, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
WTF are you even talking about?

This discussion isn't about how classic EQ was designed. If you have a problem with halfings having infravision and an exp bonus but other races not, I may or may not disagree with you but we aren't here to "fix" classic EQ beyond any changes that actually occurred during the classic era. Take all that up with Brad McQuaid.

It's about non classic features being available here. As others have said, if you don't want to play on a classic server, there are other EMUs. The stated mission of this server is to recreate classic EQ. Not, classic-ish but with changes and features that came later that people happen to like. Something is either classic and appropriate for this server, or it is not, meaning it is not appropriate for this server.
Wow, do you even read your own posts?

Quote:
It's not silly at all. Classic EQ was designed with all of those little incoveniences in mind. By speeding things up with things like item linking, no night blindness, custom ui's etc you trivialize a time element that the content was designed for...
I'm not complaining about halflings, I'm complaining about the illogic of the arguments in your posts.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
It's not silly at all. Classic EQ was designed with all of those little incoveniences in mind.
Absurd. The things you attribute in this post as "Classic EQ" are a mix of failed intent and hardware limitations.

I've heard of rose-colored glasses, but dude you're wearing full-on goggles.

Also, a dude.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Kobold

There is no way that every single thing that made classic EQ what it was is a direct result of design and planning. There were tons of instances where things were not though of by the developers/designers at the time and were later fixed or removed completely.

That said, whether or not changing them for this server or keeping them classic despite their consequences in the modern era is an entirely different debate and one that devs/staff seem to mostly handle on a per issue basis.

Personally, if it were technically feasible I would love to have everything 100% classic, but know that will never be the case.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Aviak

Wait wait wait... Item linking is a time sink that affected classic progression?!?!? Is that really what I'm reading here?

I'm all for the purist classic EQ... But don't be so stupid to think that the to sit takes to type out stats somehow affected my leveling in 1999.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:00 PM
Planar Protector

People be going crazy. Even if they implemented the classic UI its likely over 50% of players would just press F10 and switch out.

Nobody wants hardcore "classic" really. It might be fun to try for an hour, but people are lazy. Laziness = 80k cleric MQs, and MQ sales are rife. Keep the status quo.
Old 09-23-2013, 01:01 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borador [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wait wait wait... Item linking is a time sink that affected classic progression?!?!? Is that really what I'm reading here?

I'm all for the purist classic EQ... But don't be so stupid to think that the to sit takes to type out stats somehow affected my leveling in 1999.
I mean, it's not much, but you did just admit that it does take time. So it obviously affects something.
Closed Thread