Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 05-11-2021, 05:44 AM
Planar Protector

Default Emissary of Thule (59 nec pet) should quad extremely infrequently

Lots of evidence that this pet did not quad on a regular basis, to the point where lots of people (including myself) doubted he could even quad at all.

My theory is that the pet seldom succeeded at his offhand double attack roll due to a low skill level.

Evidence from in era:

Quote:
I am pretty certain that the Spectre pet does not Dual Wield. Most I have ever seen it hit is triples. It does certainly not both dual wield and triple attack since that would mean that it gets occasional quintuplets (5 hits at once).

Never ever seen it do more than 3 attacks at once. My bet is that they removed dual wield from the spec and replaced it with gay triple attack skill, making our pet, not a warrior, but more like a shadowknight without spells.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020713...E+PET+GUIDE+**
Quote:
The Specter pet needs to have the peridot cost removed, it's max damage increased, it's quad attack fixed [it does quad attack just not very often], given a special attack and for the love of all that is unholy SHUT IT UP! That moaning drivers me crazy, I end up turning off my speakers when I use it.

All in all I still use my Monk Pet when grouping. Just get it a couple HP/AC buffs, turn it's taunting off and go to work. Best Pet overall.

---

The 59 pet is retarted. It doesn't dual wield, which translates into pathetic damage output compared to the 56 pet. Its hps are ok I guess, but it REALLY needs to hit harder and dual wield. If the top pet hit for 61 and had a higher dual wield skill then the 56 pet it would be a truely awesome pet.

---

59 pet against a lower level mob would get outdamaged by a 49 level pet. The 59 pet DOES NOT DUAL WIELD!! The times you see 4 hits are reposites. Watch the 49 pet hit and then the 59 pet. It is obvious that it isn't dual wielding. If the 59 pet had a stun proc and actually dual wielded, it would be an awesome pet.

---

The 59th lvl pet does in fact Quad attack. I have done several logs and have seen a "few" instances of this. And no they where not reposites as the pet was not hit during, before or after the quad attack.

It just does not double attack very often. Probably 50% less then the Monk pet and that is where the major damage loss is at.

---

59 pet does not dual wield. Look at the time stamp for the supposed quads and you will see they are diff. Lag etc. can make 2 successive rounds of attack look like one. Look at any pet from 39 to 56 and then the 59 pet. You will soon realise it isn't dual wielding. I wish it did.....

---

Yes I did look at the time stamp [I printed out the log to review it over a 2 hour period]. Trust me it does dual wield, just not very often. If I remember I will post one such log part tonight when I get home. But if you do a search you will find other logs showing it quad attacking.

https://web.archive.org/web/20010624...iscussions#top
Quote:
The spectre pet dual wields???? Show me some proof of this then. I have looked at many logs on my friends computer that we did and the spectre did not repeat NOT dual wield.

If the spec dual wielded it would have many rounds of quad attacks. Look at the 49,53,56 pet. They dual wield and it is very evident just looking at the melee text. Unless the pet changed within the last month it doesn't dual wield period.

---

lmao..guy, get a clue.the dual wield skill of the 59 pet is BUGGED..repeat after me:..BUGGED.it has a LESSER number of quad-attack-rounds then the 49, 53 and 56 pet.

---

the damage output of the monk pet is MUCH more then the 59 pets damage.the 59 pet is only a very small upgrade to the 49 pet (the main difference are few levels and around 400 hps)..even abashi said, that this pet isnt a real zpgrade to the 49 pet, because he feels, that the 49 pet is too strong and the 59 pet has "pay" for its look.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020110...:)&whichpage=1
And from this thread in June 2002, just after the May 2002 high end nec/mage pet upgrades, we have people discussing the spec pet (in the context of how it was and how it was changed):

Quote:
I believe that the spectre has been given a "quad attack" ability, that well, basically is completely inferior to double attack and duel weild. I know warriors with the triple attack ability get triples very rarely because it requires you sucessfully rolling a double attack and then stacking a third attack on that. Because pets are now nearly immune to ripostes in a pet on pet duel the rapid attack of the monk compared to the spectre would not hurt as much anymore.

---

I'm telling you the spectre pet has been FUBAR since day one. It has some wierd problem with dual wield and its hps are too low for the mobs you fight. The damage raise in its hits were nice, but more needs to be done. I hate to ask for more after all they have done lately, but I hope they get it right the first time.

---

Also I just did some math on quad hit vs double attack/duelweild. If it works this way as I've hypothesized:

Quad attack ability (spectre)
swing, then roll for Double atk
if pass roll:
swing, roll for trip attack
if pass roll:
swing, roll for quad atk
if pass roll:
swing

versus

Double attack/DW ability (monk)-
swing, then roll for Duel weild, concurrently roll for double atk on main hand
if duel weild passes, roll for double attack on offhand.

according to my math the monk will get approximately 3/7 or ~40% more swings over time. This goes for other pets including the 49 pet, making 49 pretty much just as good of a tank.

https://web.archive.org/web/20020711...&TOPIC_ID=4442
Last edited by Dolalin; 05-11-2021 at 05:59 AM..
Old 05-11-2021, 06:17 AM
Planar Protector

One more, a post made after the May 2002 pet buffs but which quotes pet stats from the necro.eqclasses.com forums from before the pet buff patch, mentions DW on the 59 pet being 'bugged':

Quote:
Posted - 07/25/2002

Possible that the numbers are a bit off now but hope it helps. had to dig deep to find it.
Spell Name Lvl Lvl & HP range Max Damage New Skills

Cavorting bones 1 1-2 / 15-30 10 punch None

Leering corpse 4 3-5 / 60-100 12 punch None

Bone Walk 8 7-9 / 150-200 14 punch

6 bash
Bash attack

Convoke Shadow 12 8-12 / 175-200 16 punch

6 bash
Magical Attack

Restless bones 16 12-16 / 250-300 20 punch
8 bash
7 kick
Kick attack

Animate dead 20 16-19 / 300-375 22 punch
8 bash
8 kick
Double attack

Haunting corpse 24 18-22 / 600-700 26 punch
8 bash
8 kick
Double attack
None

Summon Dead 29 22-26 / 700-775 28 punch
9 bash
9 kick
Double attack
Duel wield

Invoke shadow 34 26-29 / 775-850 33 punch
12 bash
12 kick
Double attack
Double wield
None

Malignant Dead 39 29-33 / 850-1000 39 punch
15 bash
15 kick
Double attack
Double wield
None

Cackling bones 44 33-37 / 1100-1300 47 punch
19 bash
19 kick
Dual attack
Dual wield
Life tap
Life tap (15-20)

Invoke death 49 37-41 / 1700-2350 55 puch
25 bash
25 kick
Dual attack
Dual Wield
Life tap
Life Tap (20-30)

Minion of shadows (rogue pet) 53 36-43 / 1100-1400 57 punch
Life tap
Backstab
Dual wied
Dual attack
Life tap (30-40)
Backstab (110 to 165)

Servant of bones (monk pet)56 37-44 / 1400-1700 59 punch
Dual wield
Life tap
Flying kick
Dual attack
Life tap (40-50)
Flying kick (up to 71)

Emissary of Thule (spectre pet)59 40-45 / 2400-2700 57 punch
Dual wield (bugged, not working correctly)
bash 40
kick 40
Life tap
Dual attack

-Avrorr De`Morte
-45th lvl DE Necro
-House of D'Inex
-Ayon Ro Server
http://www.magelo.com/eq_view_profile.html?num=284110

https://web.archive.org/web/20020820...?TOPIC_ID=6419
Old 05-11-2021, 12:33 PM
Planar Protector

Just for completeness, Alan (Absor) made some posts in Dec 2000 about the 59 spec pet, which I would take as confirmation that it was intended to dual wield:

Quote:
Quote:
Lady_Melkore wrote: "So the specter level 59 necro pet will be duel weilding/double attacking?? Is that what i heard"
Spectres come with a big ol' two-handed scythe… Yet somehow they will still be dual wielding. Don't ask me how…

Alan

---

Quote:
Some questions on level 59 Necro pet relating to recent pet code enhancement.

Recently pets were enhanced with regards to their ability to dual wield. All pets of sufficient level will now dual wield upon being summoned, whereas before they required two weapons to do so. I am curious about how this enhancement will affect the level 59 Necro pet.
Actually, I did answer this one, but I'm sure it got buried in all the hoopla.

The spectre will dual wield.

Alan

http://web.archive.org/web/200012021....asp?land=1152
On the balance I'd say this throws some cold water on theories that it triple attacked with a 2h. Dual wielding with a low double-attack skill (maybe as low as 150) seems like the most likely explanation.
Last edited by Dolalin; 05-11-2021 at 12:38 PM..
Old 05-12-2021, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Hmm, from a post by Torven on eqemu forums (from research done on the old mac server for TAKP):

Quote:
I updated my pet data spreadsheet with the avoidance skill data, which is located here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...Zu1xUHSgsZL9U/

The following are simple skill formulae that match the data:

---

Necro (not Emissary of Thule)
Riposte = min(level * 5, 200)
Block = min(level * 5, 200) add 25 for PoP pets
Parry = min(level * 5, 175)
Dodge = min(level * 5, 175)

Emissary of Thule - this had atypically low skill levels
Riposte = 150
Block = 0
Parry = 200
Dodge = 225

http://www.eqemulator.org/forums/sho...5&postcount=12
Last edited by Dolalin; 05-12-2021 at 04:57 PM..
Old 05-12-2021, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

I found an EoT log from p99 in 2015 and I do see quite a few quads. Unless those are all somehow ripostes, I'd say this is more quadding than it should be doing:

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...6&postcount=15