Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 01-23-2023, 04:04 PM
Planar Protector

That type of debate tended to come up more often in the tank discussion than the shaman threads. I don';t recollect you hanging out in those threads all that much until more recent years. Bash resistance is (mostly) universally recognized as a useful trait for a high-end soloist shaman.

Knock against the ogre perk is it's heavily limited towards the soloist and all-or-nothing in nature. Only works if you're getting hit. Look at the wife: Last time we went to West Wastes this past week, we killed, I dunno, maybe a dozen or so nest dragons including a plus-6. She never got bashed even once--the ogre racial would've been utterly worthless even if she had it. P99's community mostly veers towards either solo or raiding; only a minority of people have a permanent long-term duo like we have. Hence we're something of an exception to the norm. For most folks I'd call the ogre trait the best for an established 60 shaman, just like everyone else.

Danth
Old 01-23-2023, 04:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That type of debate tended to come up more often in the tank discussion than the shaman threads. I don';t recollect you hanging out in those threads all that much until more recent years. Bash resistance is (mostly) universally recognized as a useful trait for a high-end soloist shaman.

Knock against the ogre perk is it's heavily limited towards the soloist and all-or-nothing in nature. Only works if you're getting hit. Look at the wife: Last time we went to West Wastes this past week, we killed, I dunno, maybe a dozen or so nest dragons including a plus-6. She never got bashed even once--the ogre racial would've been utterly worthless even if she had it. P99's community mostly veers towards either solo or raiding; only a minority of people have a permanent long-term duo like we have. Hence we're something of an exception to the norm. For most folks I'd call the ogre trait the best for an established 60 shaman, just like everyone else.

Danth
That may be it. I don't view/participate in tanking threads as often.

I agree FSI is limited to when you are getting hit. In general I believe racials only matter when you are soloing, and most people make Shamans with soloing as part of the equation.

Once you get into duo/group/raid situations, racials don't really matter anymore, unless you are doing the duo challenges perhaps. Just having more people playing with you is saving you a lot more HP/Mana/Time than any racial could.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That may be it. I don't view/participate in tanking threads as often.

I agree FSI is limited to when you are getting hit. In general I believe racials only matter when you are soloing, and most people make Shamans with soloing as part of the equation.

Once you get into duo/group/raid situations, racials don't really matter anymore, unless you are doing the duo challenges perhaps. Just having more people playing with you is saving you a lot more HP/Mana/Time than any racial could.
The average casual player will benefit most from troll. Regen is nice when you don't have a fungi and you're grouping for all of your XP.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The average casual player will benefit most from troll. Regen is nice when you don't have a fungi and you're grouping for all of your XP.
I do agree. Most casual players will probably not reach level 60. That is why I always say Ogre is min/max. Min/max typically assumes you are planning on reaching level 60, because you are planning for the long term.

For any player with serious doubts they will reach 60 and get Torpor, just play a Troll. You will have a blast leveling with Troll Regen + JBB + Snare Neck.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:46 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Its simple.

Ogre for soloing big tough mobs.

Troll for newer players that want regen + jbb.

Iksar for ultimate (robe) fashion.

Barb for polar bear.
Polar bear AND miniskirt.

Lots of bears in a dress!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXX Dung

Old 01-23-2023, 04:52 PM
Banned

I actually think Ogres look cool, besides plate helmets.

Their plate helmets are trash.

All Ogre helmets are trash, actually.
Old 01-23-2023, 05:04 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encroaching Death [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I actually think Ogres look cool, besides plate helmets.

Their plate helmets are trash.

All Ogre helmets are trash, actually.
Same, I sincerely like the look of Trolls and Ogres. Trolls look better though, in my opinion. For some reason their animations are much higher quality than any other race lol, and a lot of their armor looks cool.

I like the Velious custom hats for male Ogres, but overall I agree, I don't like Ogre hats that much.
Old 01-24-2023, 11:35 AM
Kobold

Journeyman's walking stick is really good for shamans, frees up a spot in the group now that you can kick that dramaqueen ench.
Old 03-08-2023, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Same, I sincerely like the look of Trolls and Ogres. Trolls look better though, in my opinion. For some reason their animations are much higher quality than any other race lol, and a lot of their armor looks cool.

I like the Velious custom hats for male Ogres, but overall I agree, I don't like Ogre hats that much.
It's really about who looks better from over the shoulder.

IMO Ogres look awesome from the front but pretty bad from behind.
Old 03-23-2023, 01:04 AM
Decaying Skeleton

SSFing a Shaman up to 34?

Just skip to the chase and go for CBT