Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2021, 09:11 PM
Sarnak

I still like eq most of the time. I take breaks of a week or two but come back and have fun again. I deleted a 40 necro after transferring all their "stuff" to another necro startup character. At lvl 40 I did it again cuz leezerds is best.
Do something different, or not.
I made a new leezerd sk a few weeks ago. Kind of makes the game somewhat new to do that.
I purchased a recurve bow and some arrows and get my Ranger on at the range. Love the sound of the bow stretching, releasing and the arrow twaking into the target.
Old 07-06-2021, 11:12 PM
Planar Protector

This guy has been creating these types posts for over 10 years. That sort of makes me sad.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-06-2021, 11:30 PM
Skeleton

Come try red. Different problems, but a lot more fun to have.

Someone camping the mobs you want to camp? Cool. Kill 'em or be killed. Find a few pals and get deep into some out-of-the-way zone for some xp? Great--plus some nice xp boost on Red. All around great time.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:43 AM
Skeleton

I just started P99 4 months ago after not playing since 2001, hit 60 like a week ago.

I was incredibly disappointed in the Raid Scene.

The rules are designed to bottleneck competition through some incredibly bizarre features such as racing.

In the end, it promotes play styles which for lack of a better term are subpar and lazy. It promotes quantity over quality, which is why I think someone pointed out how it seems the meta is Zerg to the top, which is just incredibly boring tbh.
Old 07-07-2021, 09:40 AM
Orc

Back on live there were always 1 or 2 large, raid-heavy guilds, but there were usually also several guilds with reduced numbers that were skilled enough to still take on raid targets. People on p99 talk about 'skill' and 'hard work' but I fail to see how those exist when 75 players go and kill Gorenaire.
Old 07-07-2021, 10:29 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightbringer55 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Back on live there were always 1 or 2 large, raid-heavy guilds, but there were usually also several guilds with reduced numbers that were skilled enough to still take on raid targets. People on p99 talk about 'skill' and 'hard work' but I fail to see how those exist when 75 players go and kill Gorenaire.
Well, back on Live, there were continued expansions with bleeding edge content that the large hard-core raid guilds would move on to, freeing up older raid content for smaller, more casual guilds. If Trakanon was monopolized consistently by the uber guilds, you could at least tell yourselves that you could eventually have a shot at that content and the rewards thereof while the big boys were focusing on flagging in Planes of Power.

Here, capped at Velious, there's nowhere for them to move on to. At least on an Earthquake, unless the competitive guilds hypocritically agreed to rotate VP and NTOV so they could go after other targets first, the top 2 guilds should be tied up with First Brood dragons to key up for ST, then NTOV, and VP to concern themselves with other 7-day targets. Well, and Trak, to prevent a 3rd guild from establishing a foothold in VP.

"You know you done fucked up when Yendor gives you raid commentary." - Tiggles
Old 07-07-2021, 11:03 AM
Fire Giant

No matter where you go, or what game you play, there were always be a handful of folks who take things too far. In everything in life there are these groups of people.. They will always exist, they will always have more than you.. Maybe more time, maybe more money, maybe more resources.. Nothing u can do.. Stay in your own lane man
Old 07-07-2021, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanderklocke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This guy has been creating these types posts for over 10 years. That sort of makes me sad.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yikes!

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-07-2021, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I just started P99 4 months ago after not playing since 2001, hit 60 like a week ago.

I was incredibly disappointed in the Raid Scene.

The rules are designed to bottleneck competition through some incredibly bizarre features such as racing.

In the end, it promotes play styles which for lack of a better term are subpar and lazy. It promotes quantity over quality, which is why I think someone pointed out how it seems the meta is Zerg to the top, which is just incredibly boring tbh.
Raiding has always been relatively boring in EQ, even back on live with much smaller zergs. Brad himself stated that he thinks Complete Heal was the worst spell ever put in the game as it basically turned raid encounters into tank and spank while Clerics cast complete heal chains.

So if you're not the tank, a Cleric, or leet DPS raid class then your contribution to the raid isn't something that's very engaging (e.g., Mages summon mod rods, Druids buff and spot heal randomly, etc.).

I don't really raid beyond minor attendance here and there just to see some zones that I haven't seen in awhile, but IMO I'd rather be part of a huge zerg that clears everything quickly than sit on a raid for hours as a random class barely doing anything while the tank, clerics, and primary DPS clear everything and you just follow the raid around...so boring.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:47 PM
Aviak

The main difference in P99 is that you have to race and FTE immediately which requires more coordination and planning because you don't have time to clear first. That makes the encounters far more challenging.

Infinite accounts are also a major difference. If you don't/won't play a holy trinity class, then yes you will have to deal with a very specific role in Velious and you may find that boring.
Closed Thread