Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 05:41 AM
Kobold

Default Not sure what class to stick with....

For a first toon most people say Necromancer, my problem is that with my necromancer, I am having issues with 2 bandits killing my level 12 pet, then owning me. The first dies, then the other finishes me. In short the necro pet is gimp.

Does this get better after Feign death? I mean I own single mobs, but at the same level I own the same spot with my magician. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 02-05-2021, 07:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NirrtiXXX [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For a first toon most people say Necromancer, my problem is that with my necromancer, I am having issues with 2 bandits killing my level 12 pet, then owning me. The first dies, then the other finishes me. In short the necro pet is gimp.

Does this get better after Feign death? I mean I own single mobs, but at the same level I own the same spot with my magician. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm a new player as well, but I believe pets have a level range of like +-2. So, when you summon your pet, if you plan to do a challenging fight, then you have to first attack some green cons with your pet and see what the pet max swing damage is. This will give you an idea of its level. There may be a way to look it up, but I just learn roughly the max swing ranges for each new tier of pet I get. Then I dismiss and re-summon any pets that are not max level or max level -1. This makes a HUGE difference in how much damage they take and deal

The other secret with pets is to give them a rusty 2handed weapon. It can be literally anything, it doesn't matter, but it must be a 2hander. This will nearly double their damage at the same swing speed (there seems to be some kind of bug where they hold it in 1hand). You want to always keep a rusty 2hander weapon that mobs drop in one of your bags for your next pet if weight allows. Or else keep an eye out for wandering low con mobs to see if any of them are holding a 2handed weapon you can kill and get. Once you start equipping a 2hander on your pet, you will never want to go back. It literally will double if not more, your pet's damage. Although I hear it stops working eventually around level 20
Last edited by unsunghero; 02-05-2021 at 07:15 AM..
Old 02-05-2021, 10:18 AM
Planar Protector

Re cast your pet as he dies.

Run away from npc, use snare, cast dots on him

Cast engulfing darkness on the add and then fear it and let it run away while your pet solos down the first mob. Maybe throw a heat blood on one or both mobs while you’re at it.

Other strategies

You’re not supposed to be able to just say /pet attack and then you win

Basically learn to play the game better, it’s not the necros fault.

Also who says the necro should be your first character?

You should be the class that you think seems coolest or funnest
Lost but not forgotten.
Last edited by Gustoo; 02-05-2021 at 10:23 AM..
Old 02-05-2021, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

Mage pets are generally stronger than the Necro pets, that is why your pet is having a bit more trouble. Pet strength generally looks like this:

Charmed Pet > Mage Pet > Necro Pet > Other Pets

Necros need to employ a bit more strategy than Magicians to make up for their pet's weaker nature.

Like Gustoo says, you can fear kite at level 12, which will save your pet from taking a good chunk of damage. Cast engulfing darkness first to snare the mob, and then fear. Just be sure to pull the mob away from the others before you fear it, so it doesn't run into them and cause you to get adds.

To Gustoo specifically, there are classes that are better as a first character than others. This is due to many classes being gear dependant, or are weak at soloing. While a new player could level up any class to 60 from nothing with enough time and will, many people would get frustrated and quit. Leveling a Necro as your first character is objectively easier than leveling a Warrior, for example, unless you have a group of friends to consistently play with. That is why Necromancer is one of the better starting classes. It can solo and group naked. You just need to buy your spells, which generally isn't too bad. Necros can farm plat quite well naked.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 02-05-2021 at 11:50 AM..
Old 02-05-2021, 12:49 PM
Planar Protector

What gustoo said is a great start, and back in 99 we were all dying to 2 bandits at level 12, it took us 20 years to figure these insane leveling strats we're doing now hehe

edit if you haven yet, maybe check out some youtubes? to see how they cast/play helps:

Necro leveling in the teens (this one should really help you!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-2FIar6COo

Necro's playing on week 1 of green: https://youtu.be/FvsrMZAH7Uk?list=PL...bpme6Fjj&t=171

Good enchanter videos of advanced play: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjO...VXBb-X5ZcTPYig

Tecmos makes good videos to teach you strong play, but he plays enchanters but still: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qNBzTp1QI4&t=1s
Last edited by Jibartik; 02-05-2021 at 01:03 PM..
Old 02-05-2021, 04:14 PM
Planar Protector

Yes silky mist the necro is an awesome class to level efficiently with any level of gear no doubt.

But ya gotta enjoy the play style number one that’s all I’m saying.

Casters get more and more powerful as they level up while melees become more and more group dependent
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:34 PM
Kobold

Unsunghero has probably got the best advice. If you aren't recasting your pet until you get a max level you are going to have issues in general. Also a rusty halbred will max out your pets dmg at that low level so if you can prep and buy one before a long session that can help out.

Take a look here https://wiki.project1999.com/Pet_Guide#Necromancer_Pets and just use the max dmg to tell if you have the max level pet. The best way to test is on something low level so you are more likely to get max dmg during the testing.

The other thing to help out at low levels is to have mend bones up. It has a bit of a recast, so cast it early then do some dmg and cast again. You can also use snare + fear as the others have suggested depending on the situation but engulfing darkness is a huge mana sink at lvl 12 so you might stick with clinging darkness. Another tactic is to cast your leach spell then go in tank a bit for your pet, back up lifetap to heal and go back in for a bit.

As you level up it gets easier and if you can find a duo with a druid or cleric or another pet class it makes life a lot easier. So basically play around with strategies a bit, even take on lower level stuff that is easier to get a feel for which strat you like best and then try the bandits again.

Nothing in this game is easy, some things are just easier. Necro is easier than a lot of other options but you still have to spend some time figuring out what works best for you.
Closed Thread