Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 04:44 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can do it! Just cleanup with DDU. Take it out. Put in the new one. Clean install and voila! Happy PC ^^

If you break it, just get a new one ^^
had nightmare of pop-up "lol u really think its that easy f*****? u saw what happened to lil jimmy on the forums he doesn't have a useable PC now"

the whole possibility of not being able to boot even a setup or F10 window has me shook. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Mostly because I can't find any evidence of onboard GPU (which is probably accurate). Do I still have onboard display? Onboard GPU seems to be more an Intel thing. AMD doesn't appear to have onboard GPU.

PKer & Master Trainer and Terrorist of Sullon Zek
Kills: 1278, Deaths: 76, Killratio: 16.82
Old 09-12-2016, 04:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
had nightmare of pop-up "lol u really think its that easy f*****? u saw what happened to lil jimmy on the forums he doesn't have a useable PC now"

the whole possibility of not being able to boot even a setup or F10 window has me shook. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Mostly because I can't find any evidence of onboard GPU (which is probably accurate). Do I still have onboard display? Onboard GPU seems to be more an Intel thing. AMD doesn't appear to have onboard GPU.
I dunno. I thought most boards did. I mean, if it does, there should like be a vertical port (DVI, VGA, etc.) on the back of your machine (coming out of the mobo) that you can plug your display into, right? If that not there, then no, don't think you've integrated graphics. ^^
Old 09-12-2016, 04:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dunno. I thought most boards did. I mean, if it does, there should like be a vertical port (DVI, VGA, etc.) on the back of your machine (coming out of the mobo) that you can plug your display into, right? If that not there, then no, don't think you've integrated graphics. ^^
Negative on all that.

I realize I have no onboard GPU.

So I should probably find a tech whos done this before? Without onboard you have to agree with my assessment that this is incredibly high risk? Does Geek Squad do stuff like this? Even if I didn't buy it from them?

Old 09-12-2016, 05:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzzarTheGod [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Negative on all that.

I realize I have no onboard GPU.

So I should probably find a tech whos done this before? Without onboard you have to agree with my assessment that this is incredibly high risk? Does Geek Squad do stuff like this? Even if I didn't buy it from them?
Well, no not really, I've done it several times with no issues and don't really understand the issue you are worried about. I just uninstall it in Windows, reboot safe mode, driver sweep (DDU) maybe do 2 times if I am feeling anxious and then turn off, do the hardware swap, boot up and grimace at the shit resolution, try intercept Windows driver installation since it thinks it knows wtf to do sometimes, but always does not and then install the drivers for the new card. ^^
Old 09-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Well, no not really, I've done it several times with no issues and don't really understand the issue you are worried about. I just uninstall it in Windows, reboot safe mode, driver sweep (DDU) maybe do 2 times if I am feeling anxious and then turn off, do the hardware swap, boot up and grimace at the shit resolution, try intercept Windows driver installation since it thinks it knows wtf to do sometimes, but always does not and then install the drivers for the new card. ^^
I could provide several links of what I am worried about. (Granted, all incomplete details with incomplete answers) But I X'd them all out.

Alright final question. What versions of Windows have you done this kind of swap on?

Its just sucky you can't let the BIOS know about the change and plant the drivers in a standby situation during safe mode to avoid any possible boot problem.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:13 PM
Kobold

why are you being such a weiner about this just do it its very easy
Old 09-12-2016, 05:16 PM
Planar Protector

Basically I spent a few hours here http://forums.guru3d.com/ and cold feet set in.

All kinds of weird scenarios and situations involving a swap are posted there with headlines like "Help PC ruined lifes over". Reading guru3d is similar to googling your medical symptoms, I realize. But my courage was gone after that.

Old 09-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Project Manager

Boards without onboard graphics use slot cards for video when you boot.

Quote:
uninstall it in Windows, reboot safe mode, driver sweep (DDU).... do the hardware swap, boot up and grimace at the shit resolution... install the drivers for the new card. ^^
Old 09-12-2016, 05:17 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
I could provide several links of what I am worried about. (Granted, all incomplete details with incomplete answers) But I X'd them all out.

Alright final question. What versions of Windows have you done this kind of swap on?

Its just sucky you can't let the BIOS know about the change and plant the drivers in a standby situation during safe mode to avoid any possible boot problem.
Huh,:/ don't know about BIOS planting drivers :/ I've done it with XP and 7. Of course if you only have one puter and a problem does arise, it is more difficult to troubleshoot. Normally whenever one of mine kaputs, I just use another one to research and solve the problem. Maybe get other advice from a tech person here if you super worried.^^ Your fears seem misplaced to me though :/
Old 09-12-2016, 05:20 PM
Planar Protector

few things can cause a computer to not make it thru POST. but usually its something really simple like not putting the card in the slot right (most common one). usually happens with RAM but could just as easily happen with a graphics card. its called "reseating" the card. just unplug it and plug it back in properly this time.

also I don't see how the windows device driver could cause this issue you are describing.