Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Aviak

Default Min level for mage to solo in Sol A?

I tried search and went through several threads, but didn't see this addressed.

Of course the biggest problem is the see invis mobs, and then some pulls will be more than single and also have roamer add possibilities. I have tried at 30 with focused fire and air pets, but can't maintain enough mana to stay viable.

So, I'm guessing I'll need to get to at least the next level of spells to be successful. But, will even that be enough? Or will I just need to get to high enough level where I can't earn exp in the dungeon?

I've seen some old guides that talk about running to certain camps and zoning to Sol B to clear aggro, but I don't know the zone well enough to accomplish that. But, if that's viable for certain camps, I can figure that out. Just looking for opinions from people that have actually done it on a mage.

Thanks in advance for your insights.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:05 AM
Kobold

Soloing in Sol A is hard in general due to the fact you almost never get a single pull by itself. Combine that with casters and you'll easily find yourself+pet overwhelmed. I think you are on the right track in waiting for your next set of spells, OR you could find a druid/shaman/cleric to duo with. Even an enchanter would work well. Aside from that you might want to stick to open zones where you can single out mobs.

If you are determined to try Sol A, two suggestions I would make are: Use Focused Earth pet for the roots since mobs do run here. Second is if you don't use Earth pet, invest in some snare items and use focused Fire pets. Location A, B and C on the map are quick and easy to get to to clear aggro. C might be your best bet for single pulls however you'll constantly get people killing your mobs as they zone in/zone out. A and B will be rough getting to.

I urge you to duo since you'll get faster / safer kills. You wont have to do 51% of the damage to get full experience either.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:27 AM
Fire Giant

There are not many dungeons where a mage can solo well due to having almost no crowd control. SolA is an especially nasty dungeon, would recommend either a group, a duo or just a high level.
Old 01-23-2017, 02:52 PM
Fire Giant

You may be a bit low for thus but just a suggestion for the future.
Mines of Nurga exit hall is great for solo xp.
About 5 single pulls and 2 optional double pulls.
There are casters but they die pretty quick. I'd recommend either an earth pet or an air pet with a well timed nuke.
Fauvana 54 Erudite Necromancer
Seliel 24 Erudite Rogue
Deepwalter 6 Erudite Paladin

Fauvano 40 Dark Elf Necromancer
Stoppinswords 11 Dark Elf Warrior
Old 01-23-2017, 03:46 PM
Banned

When twinked soloing in sol A is fantastic. But when normal, it is not a zone one can solo in either very easily or at all IMO.

As a pretty basically twinked rogue I was able to solo from like 20-32 there before the mobs started getting a little too tough. But it only took me like one night of just running in circles stabbing shit and sneak pulling.

I really would imagine it'd be impossible to solo if you cant solo pull mobs either.
Old 01-27-2017, 08:33 PM
Aviak

Thanks for all the tips. I'm gonna give it another shot when I hit 34 and get new pet spells. I'll come back and post my results then.

Doing Ancient Croc at 32 and exp is great, but spawn in excruciatingly slow.
Old 01-28-2017, 05:14 AM
Aviak

if you're looking for sola quality with great drops, head over to permafrost.... i went there about that lvl..... there are good drops, you can probably still xp in throne room but most should be soloable

it also has bricks of ore that sell for lots of pp, just really heavy like sola
Last edited by Jalico; 01-28-2017 at 05:17 AM..
Old 02-09-2017, 02:47 AM
Aviak

OK, leveling slow, but promised an update, so here you go. Waited until level 35 to come back. Using water pet, since I don't have the research Words of Duress, and don't have the focus item for earth pet. So, invised in, got a train from someone zoning out immediately, but no harm and they were enchanter so gave me clarity. Invised back in, and ran to the first zone out "B" into Sol B. Lucky, because there are Kobolds on that side that come up to zone line and see invis, but no aggro for me so back into Sol A. Ran to zone out at "A" and it seems pretty safe on Sol B side. I hadn't seen any casters so didn't need to zone out, but did it anyway to confirm map.

Back into Sol A and made it to the circle hallway at #2 on the map where Kindle spawns. Someone had cleared it recently, so Kindle was first I saw. I had killed a couple goblins near zone out, so had a focused max level water pet. Kindle was an easy single kill. Obsidian hoop first drop. Sat in the area and had couple gobs spawn on me. Surprised but was able to handle both with pet and nukes. Figured out spawn pattern here and it was fairly easy to maintain that spot. Had a PH next time, and then Kindle a third time and got the goves to replace my cloth gloves, so I was happy.

Tried to move further up to Fire Goblin Captain room. When I opened the door, got swarmed by at least 3 gobs. Stayed and fought for a bit and was healing pet, but he was getting low and heals starting to lag. I'm not sure if I could have prevailed but I went ahead and decided to gate out since I had the Impskin gloves. I think I probably could have won that fight had I started healing pet earlier, but didn't want to risk a death at that point.

So, yeah a 35 mage can solo in Sol A if you're careful and pick your spots. Now I may go on over and try the Droga/Nurga area. Thanks for all the input on this thread.
Old 02-28-2017, 01:17 PM
Sarnak

Just stumbled on this thread. While it'll probably be a bit late for you aubie this is probably reference for lower level toons.

I came here at level 24, untwinked with a stack of malachite, summoned bags and my shovel. Things will be rough but a focused earth pet with burnout and damage shield will be able to take a beating while you nuke the goblins.

Start at the lavastorm zone in and only fight one goblin at a time. If you get an add IMMEDIATELY zone back out. Zone back in and the wanderer should be gone. Do what you can to kill that one static goblin asap before the wanderer shows back up. If the static spawn is dead and you're still doing ok with mana then the wanderer should be back very soon; kill it.

There should be 5 goblins left between the lavastorm zone in and the "C" zone connection leading to Sol B. As before, use a focused earth pet with burn-out and a damage shield. If possible start every fight with full mana.

Misc tips.....there are casters/buffers here. Make sure you use cancel magic often. A goblin with a damage shield will destroy your pet quickly. On live the goblins were all but immune to fire based nukes; they land just fine in P99. Bolt of Flame x2 on each goblin should be all you need to get full xp.

You mentioned Nurga and Droga....two of the best dungeons in the game IMO. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread