Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 05:11 PM
Planar Protector

You need to get your AGI over that magical threshold (75 I think?) before you start dumping points into STA/STR

Dwarves have the best starting stats and they can wear the good cultural shit. Epic is BIS due to the fact that you can still bash with it. Just use blind for pvp. It's cheap to cast and more likely to land than a mana hungry stun.
Originally Posted by Hollywood Hogan
The first thing you gotta' realize, brother, is this right here is the future of wrestling. You can call this the New World Order of Wrestling.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalpow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You need to get your AGI over that magical threshold (75 I think?) before you start dumping points into STA/STR

Dwarves have the best starting stats and they can wear the good cultural shit. Epic is BIS due to the fact that you can still bash with it. Just use blind for pvp. It's cheap to cast and more likely to land than a mana hungry stun.
FoL & Stun are both MR, and neither has a resist mod that I know of, how can one be more likely to land than the other? (The mana hungry bit is so true tho.)
Old 11-14-2013, 05:38 PM
Planar Protector

Flash of Light / Root / Stun almost never land in PVP, due to people stacking MR gear. don't count on them at all.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:59 PM
Fire Giant

They are ignored and thn can LoH maybe changing the scale of the battle! lol thats about it
Old 11-14-2013, 09:22 PM
Planar Protector

The main advantage of a Paladin in PvP is a lot of staying power. To begin with, you're a tank, with a huge HP pool and plate armor. You're basically immune to all DoTs and debuffs since you can dispell poison, disease and magic effects. You get Cleric HP buffs including Symbols, which are significant. Then of course you have a ton of healing you can toss out as well. At 55 you also get DA (invuln), which can be timed to eat a big nuke or two, among other uses. And then, when all else fails, you can Lay on Hands for an insta-CH once an hour or so. (Come Velious you also get Celestial Cleansing, a 700 HP heal over time for 225 mana with a 1.5s cast time. With this spell you are functionally immortal).

Altogether this makes you supremely difficult to kill, especially 1 on 1. Most casters will run OOM if they try, especially Shamans and Necros who try to DoT you and you just dispel instantly. Nuking classes will have difficult as well, since their nukes are nerfed to 2/3 damage while your heals heal for 100%. Basically, if you're playing a Paldin and aren't the last man standing in every PvP fight, you're doing something terribly wrong.

Offensively, your damage is 100% reliant on your jousting ability. If you are skilled jouster with a high damage 2H weapon, you can do very well. Better than people would think. You will never be able to burst anyone down, but you can get some heavy hits in for sure. Combined with your absurd defensive abilities, your offense is more than sufficient to defeat most classes 1 vs. 1. The problem is you probably won't actually kill them, since they'll just run away and you don't really have any way of preventing this.

Your stuns/roots/blinds will almost never land in PvP unless you're rolling with an Enchanter to debuff. So it's really only worth tossing up a Hail Mary stun to try to stop a gate, and rooting pets. The rest of your mana is best saved for heals and cures. A good Paladin is one of the best classes in group fights, since they're always targeted last they can just run around whacking people for the entire fight and tossing out spot heals/cures to groupmates as needed. If they're a good jouster the total damage they do will be higher than most anyone else (due to living so long), and a well-timed LoH on an ally can turn the tide of any battle.

Very underrated PvP class. Not really a dangerous killing class, but the class that no one is eager to fight, because it will just be a slow, losing battle for them.
Last edited by Vexenu; 11-14-2013 at 09:33 PM..
Old 11-15-2013, 10:32 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenalpow [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Dont waste your time on silly AGI at the start. Cat O Nine Tails from Eruds Crossing is +18 AGI proc at lvl 20, puts you well above the 75 threshold and last for 36 mins. Only downside is it procs a bit slow and weighs 8lbs.

Alot of suggestions I see here say go 2hander only, but I wouldnt ignore 1hs+shield, Bash can be VERY handy when fighting casters in pvp and pve.

Also, I alot of talk about Root for pvp being handy and yes it is, however, with the current resist changes on Red, Root will rarely land. My focus in pvp is usually Stuns, Blind, Dispells, and if I have the mana and seem to be landing most of my stuns, I'll try a Root, but its generally gonna resist. The key for me so far has been Stuns + Dispells.

For casters go Sword and Board and watch the caster messages and be ready for a Stun or Bash.

For melee, as a pally your pretty hard to kill to begin with so just back into a corner and start swing that big hitting 2hander, if things go south hit LoH. When fighting an SK he is gonna try to whittle down your HP enough to one shot you with HT. So its a gamble when to use your LoH.

For shamans, necros and the occasional SK who DoTs. Keep up your cures that can really save you.

Sorry I went on a rant, I'm sleepy and a bit high.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethbringre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Dont waste your time on silly AGI at the start. Cat O Nine Tails from Eruds Crossing is +18 AGI proc at lvl 20, puts you well above the 75 threshold and last for 36 mins. Only downside is it procs a bit slow and weighs 8lbs.

Alot of suggestions I see here say go 2hander only, but I wouldnt ignore 1hs+shield, Bash can be VERY handy when fighting casters in pvp and pve.

Also, I alot of talk about Root for pvp being handy and yes it is, however, with the current resist changes on Red, Root will rarely land. My focus in pvp is usually Stuns, Blind, Dispells, and if I have the mana and seem to be landing most of my stuns, I'll try a Root, but its generally gonna resist. The key for me so far has been Stuns + Dispells.

For casters go Sword and Board and watch the caster messages and be ready for a Stun or Bash.

For melee, as a pally your pretty hard to kill to begin with so just back into a corner and start swing that big hitting 2hander, if things go south hit LoH. When fighting an SK he is gonna try to whittle down your HP enough to one shot you with HT. So its a gamble when to use your LoH.

For shamans, necros and the occasional SK who DoTs. Keep up your cures that can really save you.

Sorry I went on a rant, I'm sleepy and a bit high.
Great rant, great sig, great post.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 11-15-2013, 11:12 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumyums Inmahtumtums [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Great rant, great sig, great post.
seconded
Old 11-15-2013, 01:28 PM
Fire Giant

HIE/HEF Tunare worth it for Nature's Defender alone?

ND worth a shit aside from looking cool?
Old 11-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The main advantage of a Paladin in PvP is a lot of staying power.
Great summary.