Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:57 PM
Sarnak

Default Hybrid tank stamina effect

Does anyone know the calculation for how much hp increase with each point of stamina per level for Pally and SK?

I think it's an equation. Something along the lines of hp=level(.02xstamina). I can't find anything in game mechanics.

I have inconsistent play time and i'm wondering if I end up soloing a good bit with my future SK if it would be worth it to add strength vs stamina for extra dps. I just don't know how much sta actually increases hp at lower and middle levels.
Old 08-08-2015, 01:14 AM
Planar Protector

On P1999 I get 5 HP per stamina at level 60. Returns scale with level so stamina is pretty crummy at low-mid levels. If you expect never to level up too far, STR helps with carrying armor and such. At high levels stamina becomes more important.

I don't know the precise formula but I can't imagine it matters that much. No point in min-maxing a level 30 character.

Danth
Old 08-08-2015, 08:46 AM
Fire Giant

SK/PAL at 60 is 5.2 hp per stamina according to the wiki, seems correct to me
Old 08-08-2015, 10:12 AM
Sarnak

Based off of that the calculation is .08667(level) for each point of stamina.

5.2÷60=.08667
So if I dumped all 20 into stamina I would have an extra 34.667 hp at level 20
20 (.08667x20)=34.667
At level 30 it would be an additional 52.002 hp
30 (.08667x20)=52.002

Makes me wonder how much 20 extra strength would help with dps. 34 hp is maybe 1 hit from a level 20 mob.

When you get to 60 it would only add 104 extra hp. When you consider how important leveling is to acquire gear and plat to purchase new items (hp rings, armor, etc.) This really challenges the common advice to dump all points into stamina at level 1. Strength and possibly wis/int might help you level faster and have more fun while doing it.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

20 strength won't help your damage output much at all. You'd need a parser to even notice the difference. Its main effect is in carrying more armor and items at low to mid levels, particularly for brand new players who can't afford stat gear. 100 more hit points at level 60 isn't proportionally a huge difference either--only a couple per cent or so of a tank's buffed health pool--so really all that goes to show that players fret more than they need to over their starting stats.

With Velious out I recommend strength for alts, stamina for mains. Building a character with endgame in mind has a potential pitfall--most hybrids, particularly the alts, don't reach level 60.

Danth
Old 08-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Planar Protector

STR is much better for improving quality of life of a leveling character, particularly for carrying capacity as a plate wearing class. Additionally, while str doesn't actually increase dmg, the benefit of increased attack rating (affected by STR) to accuracy is immensely beneficial to Paladins who are notoriously inaccurate fighters...
Old 08-09-2015, 10:13 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
STR is much better for improving quality of life of a leveling character, particularly for carrying capacity as a plate wearing class. Additionally, while str doesn't actually increase dmg, the benefit of increased attack rating (affected by STR) to accuracy is immensely beneficial to Paladins who are notoriously inaccurate fighters...
Have you ever parsed your damage controlling for all except str? I'm gonna go ahead and say no, given your false claim that str does not affect damage. The effect is not large, but it is very real (thus the obsession with str by rogue characters.)

Paladin/SK problems with landing hits don't start showing up until mid-40s when differences in offense & weapon skill-caps become more significant. The use of 2-handers and slow 1-handers plus the lack of dual wield ability does create a false perception of difficulty hitting mobs at lower level. When a warrior misses four in a row dual-wielding 20 delay 1-handers you might not even notice, when you miss four in a row with a 40 delay 2-hander you will wait a helluve lot longer for that next hit.

However, and this is important, the extra damage done due to higher str is meaningless to the primary and secondary roles of your class (tank & pull/CC respectively). There is no additional melee threat due to higher str. You do not channel spellcasts better with higher str. You do not regen mana faster with higher str. You are not less likely to be stunned with higher str.

On the other hand, while the additional HP from 20 sta will not make a large difference, they will allow you to survive once in a while where you would have died without them, and a dead tank cannot keep mobs off the squishies.

IMO, the only circumstances where you should take str at creation with a paladin is if you are not a dwarf and you're not going to twink and you don't expect to have friends/guildmates who can help you get weight-efficient gear at lower levels (teens thru thirties.) My Half-elf paladin was my first char on the server when the server population was much lower (sep 2011) and I started out knowing nobody, so I put 10 into str at creation and might've been better served putting all 20 there.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:46 PM
Planar Protector

Yeah, I went 20 STR on Danth (a Human Paladin) when the server opened in 2009 and never had cause to regret that choice. Bronze and Fine Plate is heavy! As a general rule of thumb, with non-twink characters I dislike having less than a minimum of 100 strength on a melee, although I'll tolerate down to about 90 if small armor is an option (ie, Dark Elf Shadow Knights). High Elves and Erudites, with a practical maximum of 85 strength each, are in my opinion slightly inadequate as Paladins without some twink gear. The Erudites in particular--being limited to medium armor--tend to lead hard lives if they don't have outside help. Going all stamina is a lot easier nowadays when we can buy +5 or +10 STR items in East Commons for a pittance.

Danth
Old 08-10-2015, 08:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you ever parsed your damage controlling for all except str? I'm gonna go ahead and say no, given your false claim that str does not affect damage. The effect is not large, but it is very real (thus the obsession with str by rogue characters.)
Higher str increases attack rating. Higher attack rating results in fewer misses. Fewer misses results in higher dps. That is the effect you see in parses. Str does not make you hit for more on normal hits ^^ that is the point that I was trying to make. Rogue backstab does however incorporate str in the dmg calc.

I agree with everything else you said ^^
Old 08-10-2015, 09:17 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by maskedmelon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Higher str increases attack rating. Higher attack rating results in fewer misses. Fewer misses results in higher dps. That is the effect you see in parses. Str does not make you hit for more on normal hits ^^ that is the point that I was trying to make. Rogue backstab does however incorporate str in the dmg calc.

I agree with everything else you said ^^
STR does make you hit for more on normal hits, because it increases attack rating. It is not just about hits or miss. It is a shuffle bag, and you will pull bigger damage balls with higher attack rating (STR) compared to your target's ac. This also works by lowering the AC of the target.
Closed Thread