Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:40 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganedar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
That's the joy of EQ!

You're given almost nothing to start with, and you're taught almost nothing to start with.
But that makes learning the ins and outs of the game so much more enjoyable. I am jealous [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
=) Actually back in Classic and Kunark, not sure if it was still there during Velious but the game had a short starter demo that you could play and it walked you through talking to NPC's and how to arm your weapons and move around. It finished by having you cross a wooden bridge and attack a Skeleton =). Then how to loot the items off that Skeleton. It was short and sweet but at the time was a huge help in starting =).
Old 12-08-2016, 12:31 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takii Huggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
=) Actually back in Classic and Kunark, not sure if it was still there during Velious but the game had a short starter demo that you could play and it walked you through talking to NPC's and how to arm your weapons and move around. It finished by having you cross a wooden bridge and attack a Skeleton =). Then how to loot the items off that Skeleton. It was short and sweet but at the time was a huge help in starting =).
not classic at all.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:30 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlankyLanky [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
not classic at all.
Oh yes it was. I'm not referring to the instance they implemented way up in POP times where you have to free the jailer and all that, then do the quest with spiders and kobolds. In Classic , Kunark and Velious there was a learning tutorial in the files that you could start that walked you though how to use melee, spells and interact with the UI which ended in you crossing a bridge to battle a Skeleton =). It seems possible you just had no idea it was there.
Last edited by Takii Huggles; 12-08-2016 at 01:32 AM..
Old 12-08-2016, 01:48 AM
Planar Protector

now imagine if no one could link to wiki. thatd be a true classic 99 experience.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:36 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takii Huggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh yes it was. I'm not referring to the instance they implemented way up in POP times where you have to free the jailer and all that, then do the quest with spiders and kobolds. In Classic , Kunark and Velious there was a learning tutorial in the files that you could start that walked you though how to use melee, spells and interact with the UI which ended in you crossing a bridge to battle a Skeleton =). It seems possible you just had no idea it was there.
I remember that well - it was definitely classic. It was the first thing I did on getting the game installed, and I bought it the day it was released.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:43 AM
Fire Giant

If you stick with your bard, you should really write 8 small macros to make your life a lot easier. Those are like this:

/stopsong
/cast 1

Make one for every number from 1 to 8. Those macros will stop the song you are doing (does no harm if you are doing none) and then start one of your memorized songs. If you don't use those you will always have to double click every song in order to change it. Assign those macros to the numbers 1 to 8 on your keyboard and you will have a much easier time.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:34 PM
Kobold

It wa definitely classic. You played a cleric on a stand alone server. Character did not carry over
Old 12-09-2016, 12:02 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Omg! I totally remember this ! Wow... nostalgia
Old 12-09-2016, 06:09 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

One thing I recommend for all new players is to bind their W key (used to move forward) to also activate a skill e.g. skill slot 6 and then put the Sense Heading skill in that skill slot so that every time you move forward with W you are also "working" sense heading. Sense heading can be invaluable when you get lost or need to know what direction you're going and this method ensures that your sense heading gets maxed very early in your character's life.
Old 12-10-2016, 03:34 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disc0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember that well - it was definitely classic. It was the first thing I did on getting the game installed, and I bought it the day it was released.
*HUGS*! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]