Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-12-2013, 07:24 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaleesi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There's a term that goes around a lot in these discussions and that's 'Raid scene'
Music has scenes, art has scenes even piracy apparently has scenes but an emulated video game published in 1999 does not need a scene.

That alone should give perspective on how absurd the entire thing is. It's people who legitimately believe raiding on P99 is a THING, that are the culprits for why it's turned out like it has.
There technically is a scene. The guilds who compete (TMO, FE, and am I missing anyone else?) and the guilds who dont (Way too many to name) Youre either in the race or not. Most are not, but should be. No clue why no one else even trys.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrux Bcrux [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There technically is a scene. The guilds who compete (TMO, FE, and am I missing anyone else?) and the guilds who dont (Way too many to name) Youre either in the race or not. Most are not, but should be. No clue why no one else even trys.
so TMO and FE make the scene, and rest are spectators [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

[Zuranthium;1453395]
The people who invented the first space ships were brilliant. That doesn't mean anybody should actually want to use them 200 years later. Ideas are limited by means of execution. Everquest has amazing ideas that need to be completely reworked in their execution, in order for classic Everquest as it was envisioned to actually exist and continue to be relevant as things have evolved.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissdu64 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Velious being the last expansion of the project, they are probably delaying it because once everything will be killed, people will move on and leave. The way they're working on everything else than Velious is a kind of proof of what i'm saying.
So you say the Server has max population even after 3 years of Kunark only because Velious is to be released?

As much as this could be true, I believe this 1000-3000 players base is the one that wants "permanent classic" as they view the real EQ nostalgic experience as Classic-Kunark-Velious.

I'm not really sure P99 would die once velious is released and beaten. I'm pretty sure a time locked server being released with the real time frame would challenge a lot of nostalgic players, as it wouldn't be as retarded as it is right now with mains and 3rd alts full VP.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:02 AM
Banned

I do believe Velious is being intentionaly delayed as well, but not for worries about the server dying or anything else.

I believe it's being delayed because the staff himself (besides Nilbog) has lost interest in the project due to the intense CSR involved by its success.

Basically, what makes P99 successful is the little GM intervention, everything is contested, etc. Server is alive because achievements mean something.

On the other hand, it generates a lot of petitioning and drama. As much as raiders get bored of content, I can imagine how old it must be getting to go solve an FTE petition at Noble...

Either way, the staff doesn't want to regulate the server, and don't want to deal with the mass of petitioning it involves.

Imagine this with Velious. The amount of petitions would be 10 times higher. I just don't think they want to deal with it (and if you Watch latest Sirken's twitch, he states that he doesn't want "Headaches"). You got your answer pretty much.

It's a vicious circle.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krissdu64 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In TMO we have more and more people going for a break because we hardly find the motivation to kill the same content everytime... with no news about Velious at all. But yeah we're staying because of Velious and i think the majority of the server does too... for lots of different reasons.

After like 1 year of Velious, the server may not die completely, but just like in a serie, you enjoy it and talk about it until the last episode. Then you move on and forget it ...

There will be twinks everywhere, characters sales, money value will decrease and emblematic people that made the history of the server as we know it will be gone... At this point, i'm pretty sure Velious release is intentionnally delayed. For that reason and maybe others i didn't think about...

In any project, when you're that late in your delivery, you get more people to work on it, you keep your customers informed and explain why you're late etc... The fact that it's free to play shouldn't justify everything. They're not doing anything about it, so they don't want it to be released for now.
Very well stated. I find myself being in the forums more than in game lately. Kunark is getting pretty damn old. And like I have stated I am not really a big fan of Velious other than a couple of zones. And the top 2 or 3 guilds will have them tied up for a long time. Not looking too good for me in the long run on P1999.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Sarnak

As old people leave new ones are just starting. And with the Velious release the server will not die. Didn't a gm mention a progression based server after its all said and done?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Planar Protector

Easy raiding scene fix: 1. Remove training in VP, 2. Have server repops 3-4 weeks apart, 3. Remove variance.

Removing variance would probably be my last choice out of these 3 options. But I think the first 2 options together would increase competition in the raid scene immensely, without adding too much work for devs/GMs.
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Old 09-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godefroi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I do believe Velious is being intentionaly delayed as well, but not for worries about the server dying or anything else.

I believe it's being delayed because the staff himself (besides Nilbog) has lost interest in the project due to the intense CSR involved by its success.

Basically, what makes P99 successful is the little GM intervention, everything is contested, etc. Server is alive because achievements mean something.

On the other hand, it generates a lot of petitioning and drama. As much as raiders get bored of content, I can imagine how old it must be getting to go solve an FTE petition at Noble...

Either way, the staff doesn't want to regulate the server, and don't want to deal with the mass of petitioning it involves.

Imagine this with Velious. The amount of petitions would be 10 times higher. I just don't think they want to deal with it (and if you Watch latest Sirken's twitch, he states that he doesn't want "Headaches"). You got your answer pretty much.

It's a vicious circle.

The staff has hinted that the community should work towards solving these problems ourselves over and over and over again. We have yet to do it. Maybe we will some day but ALL parties involved have to want to do it. I say, if you like non classic variance tracking competitions then keep your competition because the nostalgia i am looking for just isn't worth the time.

What would be so hard about making a rotation with a set of rules like the next guild in the rotation has X amount of time to defeat said target before it becomes FFA? It's a rotation with competition still.
Last edited by deneauth; 09-13-2013 at 11:59 PM..
Old 09-14-2013, 01:48 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yeah, like they did for Kunar...
but they wont be looking forward to luclin.....
It's pretty clear he's become one of the people he described as No-life Nerds and Server Bullies.
Old 09-14-2013, 02:41 AM
Planar Protector

I don't think this server currently has a big enough staff capable of enforcing the current rules on this server, as evidenced by such things as FTE shouts being implemented, training still being allowed in VP 2 + years after kunark release, and the generally chaotic atmosphere on the server during raids or even in primetime exp zones.

There are people regularly breaking server rules going unpunished, and its getting old. Furthermore I think releasing velious prior to hammering out any problems with kunark would be detrimental to the box in general.

I mean who wants to log on when they have limited time to begin with, and there's a risk they will be trained repeatedly without any hope for recourse. If you aren't a solo class p99 becomes much more difficult because you end up having to rely on groups. When you are reliant on others, it takes time to get exp flowing, and you will be very disappointed when you put that time in only to have your session ruined by some asshole who trains without hesitation (intentionally or not) because there are no repercussions.

Sure, there was training on live which may have at times been inevitable. But repeatedly and blatantly training people was something that always went enforced on live.

Ps, I would support new GMs who's sole purpose was enforcing the servers rules fairly across guild lines, and one who displayed consistency with their decisions. There are many instances in the past where rules/rulings are changed and reversed on the fly or instances of one GM saying one thing and another GM saying something that is the complete opposite. Stuff like this needs to be minimalized, especially considering the level of trust amongst players for server staff members following past GM's indiscretions. Not trying to take a shot at any current GMs here but from what I've seen lately they have their plates full, p99 blue could probably use another 2 gms. One could be dedicated to raiding enforcement while the other handles enforcement of rules in any other situations. Of course this is an entirely different discussion altogether. This is just my observations of the current situation regaring the servers rules, suprisingly in terms of raiding AND non-raiding situations.

For example, I mean just 2 weeks ago I watched a monk train a guildy 4 times (3 of which caught on fraps) blatantly intentionally, petition was made and fraps submitted. Gm response was that fraps isn't used as evidence by gms when trying to determine if a train was intentional. This is the exact opposite of what another GM regularly states in situations identical to this one. Perhaps current GMs are like too compartmentalized, because it seems on this occasion they were in direct contradiction of one another.

I just really hope some kind of reform is made in regards to enforcement of rules and consistency of rules before velious drops, otherwise it is going to be utter anarchy there.
Blueberrii - 60 Mage
Gigglepurr - 60 Shaman
Kids - 60 Rogue
Fornfamnad - 60 Cleric
Last edited by Tasslehofp99; 09-14-2013 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: spell checking and fact checking broz
Closed Thread