Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 02:42 AM
Fire Giant

My suggestion is roll both and see which you prefer. I've grouped with plenty of both and they've worked well. In fact, regardless what class you play, I believe that any class played well is worth its weight. A ranger can deal decent damage as well as being better placed to provide root/snare whilst a monk can also deal damage as well as pull/FD.

P99 - Blue
Lafael - Druid - Level 60
Garnagle - Necro - Level 57
Seductress - Enchanter - Level 52
Sweets - Bard - Level 35
Venexia - Shaman - Level 60
Wonderelf - Warrior - Level 51
Old 10-15-2013, 08:26 AM
Fire Giant

Having played a ranger on live (exclusively as main) from release until L85, three things come to mind.

1) The Kunark era is the absolute nadir of the power curve for the class.
2) Playing the class well is a lot tougher than others (monk, shaman here). The ranger toolkit has incredible breadth and there a whole lot of potentially gamechanging skills that not all rangers seem to have/get.
3) A well-played ranger brings TONS to the table...but you're most likely to notice what's missing once he/she leaves the group rather than perceive what's going on in real time. A good ranger is like grease in the cogs.

It's not easymode and it's pretty nuanced.

And finally...if, at the end of the day, you end up with a 'toon that's nothing more than a weak monk, you need to re-roll. You're just doing it wrong.
Last edited by Pan; 10-15-2013 at 08:30 AM..
Old 10-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And finally...if, at the end of the day, you end up with a 'toon that's nothing more than a weak monk, you need to re-roll. You're just doing it wrong.
A Ranger IS a weak Monk lol. They are NEVER going to be a Monk DPS wise. They are pretty close to a Warrior DPS wise and really not that. I am not knocking a Ranger, but they are what they are.

I play one on live still. And a Ranger is, even in this day and age, and 10,000 AA"s, still is the worse melee in the game. And the worse Tank. Even a Bard is a better Tank than them now, and that is saying something. The devs have never got it right and never will with them. They are the Redheaded Stepchild of EQ. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A Ranger IS a weak Monk lol. They are NEVER going to be a Monk DPS wise. They are pretty close to a Warrior DPS wise and really not that. I am not knocking a Ranger, but they are what they are.

I play one on live still. And a Ranger is, even in this day and age, and 10,000 AA"s, still is the worse melee in the game. And the worse Tank. Even a Bard is a better Tank than them now, and that is saying something. The devs have never got it right and never will with them. They are the Redheaded Stepchild of EQ. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If dps/tanking is all you want to talk about, you're right...and you support my final point very, very well.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:05 AM
Planar Protector

Yah, the unperceived Irony is strong with that one. I agree with Pan completely, also having played a ranger main from release to L75.
Old 10-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Planar Protector

Oh come on. I like Rangers. I have one on every EQ game I play. But no one is going to break up a group because THE RANGER left. They just don't bring anything to the table worth really inviting one. Or going, ahh shit bob the ranger is leaving. Plz, Plz stay.

They are pretty much a solo class and that is it. Like I have said before, sort of a cat and mouse class. Neat, but just not needed unless you want a Tracker.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrunner5 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'll admit I haven't played on Live since 2008, but I'm surprised by your comments because at that time Rangers were becoming more and more powerful with each expansion. I tanked for most of my groups and parsed on top for a couple of raid fights.
Old 10-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
They are pretty much a solo class and that is it. Like I have said before, sort of a cat and mouse class. Neat, but just not needed unless you want a Tracker.
...What exactly do Rangers solo effectively?
Old 10-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Banned

Play what's most fun to you even if it's masochistic.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:05 PM
Sarnak

I like playing rangers because of their ability to track and their utility in groups, in an out door zone you can't go wrong with harmony. Works in Fear and Hate too. Soloing Allizewsaur in OOT on my 60 ranger right now so they do have solo ability. Quillmane cloaks, Hunter/Forager cycle in TT for farming if you are into that sort of thing, and comic relief haha!
Closed Thread