Old 09-10-2012, 02:00 PM
Planar Protector

Default Why I left P1999

I left for a simple reason.

It all can be viewed here:
http://everquestlore.wikia.com/wiki/...ense_Agreement

This:
Quote:
7. Subject to the terms of this Agreement, we hereby grant to you a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable license to use the Software solely in connection with playing the Games via an authorized and fully-paid Account...
And:
Quote:
9. You may not use any third party software, programs, applications or utilities to modify the Software to change or otherwise affect, alter or modify play of the Games. You may not use our intellectual property rights contained in the Games or the Software to create or provide any other means through which the Games may be played by others, as through server emulators...
Funny I should miss this, you say? Well, I did. I just assumed that the value in EQ isn't the client, it's the server and the whole service that SOE supplies. That was my thinking up until I read the EULA.

I know ignorance or stupidity isn't a defense in court, but it's just the truth.

I left and got bored for a while and then tried EQ2. Then I got bored again until recently.

EQ2 is dumbed down. Or it feels that way. And way too much mudflation. It's just too superficial. It's pretty on the outside, but the more I dig the more it doesn't sit well with me. I can't play by being blind to it.

Frankly, EQ2 is just old and mudflated. Every MMORPG - that I'm aware of - experiences this.

I bought a class and got some SC. Had plans to get DOV. But...

EQ2 is an ok game. I may retry it to spend SC. But it's not what I'm specially looking for.

Now, I loved classic EQ. The era between 1999 and 2002. There're so many things I could bring up. Like how the user interface was much less cluttered back then. There was no radar or minimap or countless symbols above names or soft aggro mechanics or any of that other hand holding BS. Too much to count. People are obsessed with feedback and can't live without a bulky interface that tells them everything. I am thoroughly sick of people who think a game needs those things. IMHO, it has ruined the feel and immersion.

Anyway, EQ is old. There's so much I'd like to see improved.

Things to improve:
1. Graphics
2. NPC behavior/pathing (more intelligent, more receptive to player interaction)
3. Monster strategies against players (vary it so battles aren't always the same)
4. NPC conversation/quest scripts (natural language, more feedback/interaction)
5. Better /note window (so many games don't have this, but i love it)
6. More bind points and bind locations and types of gate potions
7. Revise corpse recovery so players have extra abilities/bonuses to get their corpse
8. Fix the in-game message boards system
9. More sandbox features; buildable houses/guilds/etc
10. Etc.

There's so much I'd like to improve but some of it I'd keep. I like the game to bite me when I don't do well. I like lots of details. I don't like lots of user interface windows or items. Keep the interface minimal while keeping the game complex. Give players more freedom in how they customize their character. So this means less focus on class-based design and more focus on either skill-based or hybrid forms. Give players direction but don't tell them what to do or herd them like sheep. Let players create communities and give them the tools they need.

Bottom line, I like complexity. I hate overly simple games with too few skills or stats or features. And I don't like a safety net. I want feedback that hurts sometimes and keeps me alert. So, ya...

Problem is, it's hard to find a game that fits.

But then in July this year I rediscovered an old game I had overlooked: Wurm Online.

Right now I'm playing Wurm Online. A very nice game that doesn't hold your hand too much. It's skill-based. It's a sandbox. It's different in how it does things. It doesn't have extensive lore or complex quests or detailed dungeons or lots of factions. However, it does have players and players leave behind ruins that're somewhat like dungeons. Players create their own lore and faction, sort of. But it'd be nice if the game developed its faction ideas more so that players could really feel like they were part of a unique group and not homogenous.

Wurm Online doesn't have:
1. In-game map (it does have a map dump outside the game that shows everything, though)
2. Radar that shows you what's around you
3. Streamlined gameplay that protects you from yourself

It does have:
3. Corpse recovery and experience-debt upon death
4. Tracking is not like in EQ... it just tells you who's been nearby in a certain location
5. Lots of skills (like 130+)
6. Lots of downtime (some skills need more content to fill-in the downtime gaps)
7. You can terraform the land and build anything on it
8. Epic PvP servers allow you to raid other settlements and constructions and kill others with no restrictions

It has a lot more.

Wurm Online is a survival game. It's tough to get into if you're alone.

Wurm Online could never be this way if it was more popular. It's a niche. It's F2P, but you need to get premium to really play it. And it's only about $12-13 for 2 months. Good deal (although with some limitations).

I'd recommend Wurm Online to a classic EQ player if you like sandbox games AND like classic EQ for its gameplay not because of nostalgia. Wurm Online is tough in a similar way that classic EQ was tough.

So here I am telling you I quit playing Project 1999. My stay here was enjoyable. I enjoyed the game. I first played Everquest in March 1999 on Rallos Zek. I later played off/on between 2001-02 and then later on in 2005/2007/2009-10. I came here to the emulator for the classic experience. To be honest, I never could have re-experienced it any other way. SOE would never do this. But on the other hand, the legal reasons for not playing here have weighed on my conscience and I must respect SOE's rules and their company name.

Raiding: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...&postcount=109
P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48
P1999 PvP Statistics: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=59

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Last edited by stormlord; 09-10-2012 at 02:52 PM..
Old 09-10-2012, 02:40 PM
VIP / Contributor

just so u know, before you go off into the world without all the facts, SoE made those rules to protect their income. if you were not going to pay for a sub, then u are not a potential customer.

SoE released the EQ Source code, it was not stolen.

EQ has gone Free to Play (as of March 16th i think it was).

SoE knows about the EQemu project.

SoE has used content from EQEmu custom servers.

so dont let your conscience bother you to much. and have fun in your future endeavors! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Planar Protector

I played Wurm with my wife for about a month this summer. We had a lot of fun, but after awhile that game is kind of a lot of work. Anyway, we were just talking last night about what our now abandoned deed must look like. Our horses are all penned up, starved to death--I imagine. All my crops have withered and the awesome iron-fence perimeter is probably all mossy. It makes me genuinely sad to think about. That game broke my spirit.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I had a feeling they were takin and/or testing stuff on these servers! bots for instance, wasnt long after some of the bugs were worked out that merc's were introduced. there was a few other things also that i kinda forgot about now but that made me lol
Old 09-10-2012, 03:24 PM
Planar Protector

I dunno, any game that was more work than a game would wear me out too. Just things like the VT and Anguish key quests in EQ took alot out of my will to play.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
just so u know, before you go off into the world without all the facts, SoE made those rules to protect their income. if you were not going to pay for a sub, then u are not a potential customer.

SoE released the EQ Source code, it was not stolen.

EQ has gone Free to Play (as of March 16th i think it was).

SoE knows about the EQemu project.

so dont let your conscience bother you to much. and have fun in your future endeavors! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ is F2P, but the EULA still applies.

And I've never heard that they've given source code to anybody.

They may know about EQemu, but I care about what's in their EULA.

Who cares if you're not going to get a sub? It's their software.

Bottom line, unless Smedly himself told me it was ok or the EULA was changed then no way.

P1999 Class Popularity Chart: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48

"Global chat is to conversation what pok books are to travel, but without sufficient population it doesn't matter."
Old 09-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I played Wurm with my wife for about a month this summer. We had a lot of fun, but after awhile that game is kind of a lot of work. Anyway, we were just talking last night about what our now abandoned deed must look like. Our horses are all penned up, starved to death--I imagine. All my crops have withered and the awesome iron-fence perimeter is probably all mossy. It makes me genuinely sad to think about. That game broke my spirit.
It's not a game for everybody.

It requires tremendous time.

Some skills, like fishing, have long gaps of do-nothing. Mining is very tedious, for example.

Wurm Online has a lot of maintenance work you must do in all aspects of play.

Long travel times. Harsh corpse recovery. Many other examples.

It's much more of a sandbox than a RPG. There's no real lore or story. There're no non-players with deep histories or engaging scripts. The world in Wurm Online is less developed and what's there is largely determined by what the players do. The players, in a sense, are the storytellers, the quest makers, the world makers.

But the world is dangerous, if you're alone. And the epic PvP can be mayhem.

But anyway, it's a niche game and I don't want to see it ever be popular. That day that it becomes popular is the day that it streamlines and molds itself to be like most other mainstream games.

I didn't make this post to talk about Wurm. I came here to say why I left. The idea to talk about Wurm only came up so I could wrap up my history and current preferences for gameplay.

I love this community and the EQ ranger is something I'll always strive to recapture in any game I play. The ranger had a freedom and style that's like a sweet nectar I've grown to need.

Nothing else seems to feed my hunger in the same way.

That need for the forest...
For a nice blade...
For an engraved and treasured yet lethal hunters bow...
For a wide variety of skills to survive on my own without the protection of the city...
For a hint of spell casting if spell casting is present in the game...

I think it's the combination of my romance for trees and their penchant for learning lots of things.

I've never been good at specializing in games. I like to do different things. A bit of each. Some range attacks. Close-combat. Casting, Crowd control. Healing. All the works. And their love for the forest.

As example.... I like the warder in EQ2. I just wish that the divide between weapons and casting was more tolerant. For example, as a warder you're mostly limited to blunt weapons or a 1 handed scimitar. The ranger class, however, while it can use most any weapon it wants, is not really a caster. So if I want a blend of styles, I have to pick the warder, but it's not ideal. The game has really added too many classes and has added too many divisive mechanics. It's too defined and yet too shallow. It's too much like a ball of yarn.

In Wurm Online I can somewhat feel like a ranger. Need to make a bow and follow a religion. Etc.

I wonder how many other players get stuck playing certain roles or styles? Do some people like to play exclusively as a warrior or healer or bard or etc? I like rangers, but I know it's just my preference.

Last edited by stormlord; 09-10-2012 at 04:12 PM..
Old 09-10-2012, 06:12 PM
Fire Giant

lol op dumb as fuck

talks about eq2 mudflation then proceeds to list out 9 ways for eq1 to get mudflated and dumbed down

eula's should read "as long as we're making money, we don't give a fuck what you do" - because that's the truth.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:13 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raavak [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dunno, any game that was more work than a game would wear me out too. Just things like the VT and Anguish key quests in EQ took alot out of my will to play.
anguish was a series of raids guild had to do anyway to progress through expansion

that wore you down eh?
Old 09-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormlord [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's not a game for everybody.

It requires tremendous time.

Some skills, like fishing, have long gaps of do-nothing. Mining is very tedious, for example.

Wurm Online has a lot of maintenance work you must do in all aspects of play.
Yeah, I know it. In theory it's my perfect game and for about a month I really loved it. The first few days were spent building a boat near the newb area and then we rowed around the world. We found a spot in the dead of a foggy night and built a wooden fence enclosure to protect our stuff. It was the most memorable thing I've ever done in an MMO.

Over the next few weeks, we dug a mine and found four iron veins(a miracle!), planted numerous crops and found and bought horses and cows. We constructed a guard tower and two guards protected our homestead. I built a restaurant and it was fucking awesome. We discovered the forest was lousy with spiders. Then one day I looked at the awesome iron perimeter fence I had erected around my compound and I thought, "Goddamn, I could have built a real fence around my real house".

Now I reckon all those horses and cows are starved to death.
Closed Thread