Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2012, 08:21 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default do you think fear makes EQ so memorable also?

For example in a lot of MMOs (and single player MMO style games) you can pretty much run around a zone and be able to kill everything by the end of your quest line.

But in EQ due to being unable to solo and the fact they added in high level mobs in low/mid level zones, for high level quest purposes and sadistic purposes!! a lot of zones you can't really fully explore and appreciate.

to me yes it does because even tho I started in november 2001 and have played many many many hours, on live and on project 1999, I still haven't seen everything, even in classic-kunark mostly because my character is fragile as hell.

To me it is a great feeling, I often go on allazakam and look up zones I was afraid to go too deeply into (such as that crypt in warslik woods, I went once with a group and found it so difficult, that I never went again and even 10 years later i remember the place and the adventure I had)

on the other hand however, even tho I have played this game huge amounts I really haven't seen that much of the world due to these reasons I've been to a lot of the zones but I've never really seen them in full. But due to that it makes me sometimes think about it and I end up searching those zones in google and having a good read.

I just feel that the fear/characters being inept made you appreciate zones more, cause you could never fully explore them.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:48 PM
Aviak

yeah fear of death both because it can happen in an instant if you are not careful and because the penalty is severe adds a great deal to the game to me. Being scared of death actually makes the pve experience far more intense. How rewarding is it when you survive a bad pull or getting caught off guard by repops or something along those lines?

The goal to reduce tedium by making death penalties minimal also makes accomplishments less rewarding and combat less intense to me. I like the way EQ did it.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindsculptor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah fear of death both because it can happen in an instant if you are not careful and because the penalty is severe adds a great deal to the game to me. Being scared of death actually makes the pve experience far more intense. How rewarding is it when you survive a bad pull or getting caught off guard by repops or something along those lines?

The goal to reduce tedium by making death penalties minimal also makes accomplishments less rewarding and combat less intense to me. I like the way EQ did it.

Oh yes the dealth penalty was another big reason. if me and my team could simply respawn by the entrance with all our gear it would of been easy to just try again, and again, and again.

While sadly nowdays I have no patience for such a thing. it really makes eq so memorable. it's one of those things you only ever experience once, but you never forget.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:05 AM
Planar Protector

YES

primary reason.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:15 AM
Planar Protector

Speaking of Fear, and thinking of the plane, I remember lots of failed breaks, with corpses piled up at West Wall, lots of levels lost. Logging off and checking in from time to time to see if someone else broke the zone. Or if the server went down, the plane didn't repop right away, so you'd rush in there to loot your gear and get out. Never came that close to losing all my gear again.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:49 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark void2100 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I still haven't seen everything, even in classic-kunark mostly because my character is fragile as hell.
"sadistic purposes" haha that's what makes this game so FUN!
Old 09-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Kobold

It's funny you mention this, just the other day a friend and I were reminiscing about EQ live when it first launched, the first week even. And we were a couple of weakling rogues wandering about Crushbone. We came across this group near the castle. Not knowing what was inside we inquired.

The reply was "red orcs" We didn't have any knowledge of the game at this point and for days leveling up in CB we never saw these so called red colored orcs we had been hearing about. We sure as hell weren't going to go in there and find out for ourselves (god only knows we seen too much of Dvinn in his corner at the zone in to want any part of his castle.) What they meant of course was red con's. But we were under the impression they were actually the color red haha

Not many people take time to appreciate the little things the OP is talking about. The detail, and the work that went into the little things, that most people never see. When I was really high level on EQ live and could run through anything EQ classic, kunark/velious had to offer I did a lot of exploring and checking these things out. I will tell you that even at level 75 PoFear can be a scary place lol
Old 09-10-2012, 04:42 PM
Fire Giant

Send a message via AIM to Ferok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picked [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Not many people take time to appreciate the little things the OP is talking about. The detail, and the work that went into the little things, that most people never see. When I was really high level on EQ live and could run through anything EQ classic, kunark/velious had to offer I did a lot of exploring and checking these things out. I will tell you that even at level 75 PoFear can be a scary place lol
Fearplane is just one of those special zones that can be reminisced about endlessly. Though ultimately very tiresome to raid, I'd take any opportunity I could to bail out fear raids that failed, well after I had moved on. Just a special dynamic in that zone.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Planar Protector

Befallen is one of those zones I always hated if you died. Thank god for Rogues lol. Kedge Keep is tons of fun to die in also.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Planar Protector

Kiting all of Fear while its raining blood is still pretty fun. Two manning an Irak (Fiery Defender) turn in in a fully popped Fear (well, minus Draco/CT) is hella fun.
Closed Thread