Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 05:59 PM
Banned

It's anti-communism literature.

A lot of the opinions here are very exaggerated in my opinion.

Enjoyable read for sure.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Aviak

What we've got here is.... failure, to communicate.... some men you just can't reach...
Old 06-19-2014, 06:10 PM
Sarnak

ive dabbled in drugs, promiscuity including homoeroticism, severe overuse of splenda and libertarianism and the only one i regret is libertarianism
Old 06-19-2014, 06:46 PM
Aviak

Well that certainly says something about you now doesn't it
Old 06-19-2014, 07:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lune [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're imagining things. Ever since the Reagan administration we've seen free market policies bolstered, not eroded. ...
In what objective sense have we gone towards a free market in the past 30 years? Government spending as a percent of GDP, pages of federal regulations, etc. etc. have all increased significantly over that period. What measure do you use to justify your claim? And don't just point to a single regulation that was repealed without taking into account the thousands that have been added.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:24 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekephee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
PS you say "regulating businesses" like it's a bad thing. Have you thought about how unregulated business has played a huge part in the government corruption that is such a problem in America today?
I'd say the regulated businesses are far more of a threat. The relatively unregulated industries, such as the software industry, pose far less of a problem than the highly regulated banking or health insurance industries.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:27 PM
Planar Protector

In fact, if an industry is completely unregulated, then special interests have no way to really use the power of government to their advantage. Regulatory capture is real and is one of the biggest dangers we face. When you give the government the power to regulate an industry, what you're really doing is allowing the biggest players in that industry the power to destroy their competition with regulation. Why do you think the banking industry is actually become more consolidated, with fewer small banks, since the most recent round of disaster/regulation? This is something you would have understood if you had actually read Atlas Shrugged.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:32 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orruar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd say the regulated businesses are far more of a threat. The relatively unregulated industries, such as the software industry, pose far less of a problem than the highly regulated banking or health insurance industries.
I mean... look what the banking and health insurance industries have been doing for the last two decades. Look at the amount of ripping people off they've done. Those are two of the worst examples you could have given imo. These are people who should be in prison but they've lobbied and funded campaigns and greased palms to make all of the shady shit they do legal. Regulation is exactly what these companies don't get enough of. They do whatever they want because they've bought their way into positions where they make the rules so they seem to be under control but aren't.

Let's talk about corporate mergers and aquisitions, monopolies. This "free market" that you claim to want can't possibly exist in a world where eight major corporations have bought everything else that can be produced or serviced, and are slowly buying each other in a process that will eventually conglomerate them into one enormous corporation that owns everything in the country. That's the opposite of a free market. And it's government regulation that can and should stand in the way of that.

Every song I play is actually just me screaming the 1812 Overture in a raspy, shrieking falsetto.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Planar Protector

The recent film adaptations parts I and II are a snooze fest. The production value is decent for the budget but the acting is so flat.

I have to disagree with Lune we don't have anything approaching a free market. We have a central bank basically with the federal reserve which is one of the planks of communism. I would say it is actually closer to a fascist economic system or corporatism similar to Mussolini and his parties ideas though where the govt and big business are working together to screw everyone. Destroying labor and propping up big business. The gov and the big players are all the same people anyways at this point. Sort of a fascism 2.0 where they still pretend to uphold private property and "capitalism" but remove autonomy at every turn.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:45 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kekephee [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I mean... look what the banking and health insurance industries have been doing for the last two decades. Look at the amount of ripping people off they've done. Those are two of the worst examples you could have given imo. These are people who should be in prison but they've lobbied and funded campaigns and greased palms to make all of the shady shit they do legal. Regulation is exactly what these companies don't get enough of. They do whatever they want because they've bought their way into positions where they make the rules so they seem to be under control but aren't.

Let's talk about corporate mergers and aquisitions, monopolies. This "free market" that you claim to want can't possibly exist in a world where eight major corporations have bought everything else that can be produced or serviced, and are slowly buying each other in a process that will eventually conglomerate them into one enormous corporation that owns everything in the country. That's the opposite of a free market. And it's government regulation that can and should stand in the way of that.
Oh, I see, you're chasing the myth of the perfectly formed regulation. You're one of those people who learned in grade school that our politicians all care about us and work hard to craft laws to make life fair, and you believed every word of it. This is going to shock you, but there is no Santa Claus. Politicians are not writing regulations to make things more fair. Even when they have the best intentions, they end up writing laws that big businesses use to screw over their smaller competitors.

As for your monopoly fantasy... Did you ever make it past the 8th grade in your understanding of markets? You do realize that monopolies are enabled by regulations far more often than they are prevented? Exactly how do you suppose a company would maintain a monopoly in a free market if they weren't providing the best service to their customers?
Closed Thread