Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 12:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
A lot of people in the thread mentioned that level is a big factor, which is true. I am, however, unsure of the underlying mechanics of that. Is it actually being 1 level higher that will make a difference, or is it the associated skill caps that come with being 1 level higher? I'm not quite sure. It may be both.
No science here but I’m pretty sure there’s a modifier for level beyond just that of the skill difference. Two examples that come to mind, when you’re in your 40s and skills are capped you can tell a big difference when facing blue vs white mobs, and when you gain a level or two you improve significantly against the same mobs where you used to struggle. The second example (obviously not apples to apples but...) spells land much more consistently on mobs that are blue to you, I’m not aware there is any skill modifier for spell effectiveness my understanding is that skill in a specific school of magic on reduces fizzle chances.

Could totally be off base, for a 20 year old game there are still some mysteries that allude some of us lay people.
Old 10-11-2020, 12:06 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm pretty sure Attack Rating value goes into the hit calculation. Since strength increases attack rating, it also increases hit chance. Attack rating value is based on Offense skill, Strength, and the skill of your equipped weapon (1hs, 2hb, etc). Increasing any/all of those will increase hit chance.

Hit chance is also reduced based on your target's defensive skills, so a yellow mob will have higher defense than a blue, so you'll miss a lot more.

A lot of people in the thread mentioned that level is a big factor, which is true. I am, however, unsure of the underlying mechanics of that. Is it actually being 1 level higher that will make a difference, or is it the associated skill caps that come with being 1 level higher? I'm not quite sure. It may be both.
I was confused about attack rating because I didn't see it mentioned in the wiki and completely forgot about it being blatantly visible under your other vital stats. Still, I thought that it only affected damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonewallx39 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Could totally be off base, for a 20 year old game there are still some mysteries that allude some of us lay people.
I find that very fascinating! I guess having some mechanics not all that clear adds quite a bit of charm to the game.

In that case, can I ask if armor decreases damage by a % or does it reduce hit chance for the opponent. (like in Diablo 2)
Last edited by GrimSloth; 10-11-2020 at 12:11 PM..
Old 10-16-2020, 01:47 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimSloth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In that case, can I ask if armor decreases damage by a % or does it reduce hit chance for the opponent. (like in Diablo 2)
i think AC (armor class) reduces the max damage an opponent can land on you. which is why AC is king for raid tanks
Old 10-16-2020, 06:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimSloth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The AC statistic you see on your character sheet is a composite from several sources, and which influences both damage avoidance and damage mitigation. In other words there are different kinds of AC which do different things, but it's all called AC. Fun, huh? AC you gain from direct AC buff spells or from the equipment you wear improves mitigation. AC gained from the defense skill or from the Agility statistic improves your chance for your opponent to MISS you. Special skills such as Dodge or Parry depend solely on the value of those skills and their success rates are not modified by other statistics.

"Mitigation AC" such as from your armor affects your opponent's damage roll. Monsters in EQ score damage based on a random roll called damage interval, plus a fixed additional amount of damage called damage bonus. The fixed damage bonus is why monsters have a noticeable "minimum hit" that increases as you level. The damage interval roll is modified by AC--in effect the more armor you wear, the more the roll is weighted toward the lower end. You will take less damage over time if you wear high armor, but the maximum hit a monster can inflict upon you will not change. Instead, it'll hit you for high hits less frequently.

Danth
Old 10-17-2020, 01:22 AM
Sarnak

knowledge
Old 10-17-2020, 01:57 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The AC statistic you see on your character sheet is a composite from several sources, and which influences both damage avoidance and damage mitigation. In other words there are different kinds of AC which do different things, but it's all called AC. Fun, huh? AC you gain from direct AC buff spells or from the equipment you wear improves mitigation. AC gained from the defense skill or from the Agility statistic improves your chance for your opponent to MISS you. Special skills such as Dodge or Parry depend solely on the value of those skills and their success rates are not modified by other statistics.

"Mitigation AC" such as from your armor affects your opponent's damage roll. Monsters in EQ score damage based on a random roll called damage interval, plus a fixed additional amount of damage called damage bonus. The fixed damage bonus is why monsters have a noticeable "minimum hit" that increases as you level. The damage interval roll is modified by AC--in effect the more armor you wear, the more the roll is weighted toward the lower end. You will take less damage over time if you wear high armor, but the maximum hit a monster can inflict upon you will not change. Instead, it'll hit you for high hits less frequently.

Danth
Very cool indeed, thank you for sharing 😁
Closed Thread