Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 08-01-2020, 01:16 AM
Banned

Red face Started a wizard any advice or tips?

created a dark elf wizard a few days ago
she doesnt have much gear only a flowing black robe, water crystal staff, and a blackened sapphire
Will i have trouble finding groups or will I need to solo most of the way?
Are jboots essential for a wizard or would be I stuck without them?

Thanks for reading this =)
Old 08-01-2020, 01:19 AM
Planar Protector

Dark Elf is great they get ultravision & hide (not IVU)
While leveling, get as much INT as possible. yeah I know, no brainer.
Get Clarity from EC Tunnel. Early levels will fly. Group or solo, you'll find groups.
You will need Jboots or SoW Pots when you start quading.

Skim through some of the Wizard Guides
https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 08-01-2020 at 01:24 AM..
Old 08-01-2020, 01:26 AM
Banned

i always thought that wizards weren't wanted in groups because they always steal aggro quickly but i may be wrong
i guess my role in a group is to pop a nuke every now and then
Old 08-01-2020, 01:34 AM
Planar Protector

Default thoughts on wizard play

• You can develop the skill of nuking only after aggro is firmly established. 70%? 60%? After the paladin casts 1-2 Flash of Light and Stun, or after the shadow knight casts Shadow Vortex and Disease Cloud...etc.
• If you know the approximate percentage of damage that your nuke will do to a given mob, you can get good at nuking it from, say, 50% to 19% so it is in flee mode and won't come after you anyway.
• You can also nuke mobs from, say, 30% to 1% so they can't flee very far before they die (suppose they aren't snared and you're near social mobs).
• Another reason certain players shun wizards in groups is that their rate of mana regeneration limits their total damage output. Certain melee classes will outdo them over time, especially when twinked. Don't get mad, just port around and get a group.
• A better way to apply wizard mana is to just delete caster mobs, and/or stun them when they cast spells, especially heals (so wait til 40%, when healer mobs will start healing). Wizard and magician mobs nuke a lot and their AEs can do damage to the whole group, so it's worth getting aggro if you can kill them outright.
• Get a spyglass so you can spam your Spell Gem 1, or so you can go straight from nuke to root to nuke, or stun1 to stun2, or whatever. If you don't know what I'm talking about, enjoy my brainbarf here: http://wiki.project1999.com/Clickies
Last edited by Videri; 08-01-2020 at 01:48 AM..
Old 08-01-2020, 01:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i always thought that wizards weren't wanted in groups because they always steal aggro quickly but i may be wrong
i guess my role in a group is to pop a nuke every now and then
Wizards have other roles besides damage, too.
Root as CC
Snare mobs to prevent fleeing and aggroing other mobs; snare an add and flux staff it and kite it until the first mob is dead, then root it so the tank can pick it up; or snare an add to grab aggro, pull them some short distance away, and then root it. Remember that your snare is targeted AE, so it can hit multiple mobs (can be good or bad) and it can hit you (not good).
Dispel mobs that have problematic buffs: dispel big HP buffs off mobs that are clerics, or mobs that are near cleric mobs that buff them; dispel damage shields off mobs that DS themselves, if you have pets or melees in your group; dispel SoW off mobs that have been buffed by shaman mobs; dispel Arch Shielding off Efreeti Lord Djarn, etc.
Flux staff adds over and over to pull them to you, then root them. Keep your self-rune up (Steelskin, etc) so you don't even take any damage. This is not worth doing if you take damage, because then you waste healer mana.
Have an evac ready
Last edited by Videri; 08-01-2020 at 01:49 AM..
Old 08-01-2020, 08:52 AM
Planar Protector

Pull with eye (med while doing so), hit the ball of mobs with aoe snare as they reach camp, kite and work with group to park the mobs with root.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:03 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizards have other roles besides damage, too.
Root
Snare
Dispel
Flux staff
Have an evac ready
These are excellent points! (only shortened it to save space, apologies if I repeat your points blatantly, I just agree so much) Great post Videri!

Root is extremely powerful expecially when a pull goes bad, People may clown on a wizard who sits too much but when they stand to root 2-3 mobs when it would otherwise be a wipe they save everyone.

An example of when wizard snare can shine in group and raid play is plane of fear. There are are several mobs such as A Glare Lord and A tentacle tormentor. Wizards can snare these before or after they've been feared so they dont dispell everyone.

Dispell is even more situational but never understated how powerful it can be to strip buffs off mobs like a damage shield or other buffs (some zones has shm mobs that buff other mobs for example)

Evac,.. Do you want to die, feel bad and have to drag ur corpse/find a rez... or have a safety net wizard who can port the entire group to safety if all else fails. And since wizard usually isnt the one getting hit, they're able to pop off an evac often.

Playing a class to it's maximum potential can be challenging and at times difficult to accomplish in certain group combinations. But the more you're willing to learn the greater rewards you can gain.
Wizard is not just a nuke and sit class. Learn it and love it! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Last edited by Baler; 08-01-2020 at 11:06 AM..
Old 08-01-2020, 02:46 PM
Planar Protector

Yep. Wizards are referred to as a "tightly-focused" class, but they actually have a pretty useful toolkit. They require patience, or a set of weights and a pull-up bar.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:05 PM
Banned

So I guess I won't have much trouble finding a group! =)
Old 08-03-2020, 12:13 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunabros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I guess I won't have much trouble finding a group! =)
I typically don't - you just need to know where to look. Use a zone gate, go check out a few camps and ask to get listed. Leave LFG on and still /ooc wizard lfg.

The advice here is solid - I try to do pretty much everything that has been mentioned but I always get too comfortable and leave evac un-memmed - gotta change that!

Additionally, use your porting to go get replacements for people leaving in your group or even to get your own! It allows you to easily get replacements that would otherwise take a long time or deny the group since no port available.

Get Staff of Temp Flux when you can - I used my main to get the drops needed and then swapped characters to do the looting. I will often spam it when there is a big pull to help separate out the mobs for the enchanter or just to help with CC. It's also really nice to reset your global cooldown - which your ice/fire spells typically only have a GCD, so you can spam whatever spell is in slot 1 or go between multiple slots. Also very important for quadding - but still tremendous value in a group.

Make root bound to a key - for instance, F is my assist, E is my staff of temp flux, R is root, Q is snare. I can then hit 1-5 for my main spell lines and have X to sit and Z to interrupt with crouch. Ctrl + b is your friend pre-35. Getting used to using bound keys will get you really efficient.
Last edited by rbprosser1; 08-03-2020 at 12:25 PM..
Closed Thread