Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 09-19-2020, 05:39 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Mage 51+

So the scaling of mage pets from 1-49 are really nice, the 49 pet is a massive upgrade over the 44 and so on, but as i'm looking at kunark pets i notice there is barely any upgrade - however the mobs get VERY much harder, is mage still a legit class in kunark?

like right now i can duo some of the best content with a sham or enc or cleric, but it seems like id need to chain cast pets to due the same thing in kunark/velious

are mages just kinda left behind in expansions in terms of scaling and strength versus something like a necro or a chanter?
Old 09-19-2020, 06:00 PM
Sarnak

Our pets and class in general is very powerful from 1-50; many say overpowered. Kunark flattens that curve a fair amount. Yes, we're still viable but now more on par with other classes. We can still solo but it requires paying attention and developing tactics to deal with the mob to pet power balance.
Old 09-19-2020, 08:11 PM
Banned

Pull with strong nuke, send pet for instant rip, nuke again at 60%, nuke again to put mob at 19% and flee mode. Mage is still very very OP in Kunark, you have access to 3k hp pet with two fungis worth of regen, a big damage shield, haste and nukes on top of that. If soloing just be sure to farm enough spider nets to break spawn or use a zoneline or gate to burn and zone. Killing a single mob though a skilled magician will still be right behind ench/shm/necro.
Old 09-20-2020, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

You can't solo as well 50+ but Mages are still really strong in a duo. You can duo very effectively with any other pet class or any of the healers. A max level Mage pet with Shaman buffs/regen and fighting slowed mobs will shred through them and barely even need healing. And a beefy earth pet with full Cleric buffs and a DS can make good use of CH.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:10 PM
Fire Giant

still very strong just cant solo like you did in classic once expansions start coming out.

you can still farm alot of things though, especially when you have epic pet and even more if you have epic + cleric or shaman duo
45 Dark Elf Wizard - Smurf PVP
41 Enchanter - Jeffery PVP
37 Iksar Monk - Buster PVP
26 Human Ranger - Kenny PVP
RED99
Old 09-26-2020, 12:21 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
still very strong just cant solo like you did in classic once expansions start coming out.

you can still farm alot of things though, especially when you have epic pet and even more if you have epic + cleric or shaman duo
My main concern with mage 51+ is the epic, the epic pet seems to vastly outclass the other standard pet upgrades, however the earth staff just doesn't seem attainable.

None have dropped for my guild, and I have a feeling come kunark (level 60) it will just be a farm crew item once it's on magi
Old 09-26-2020, 10:02 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwikt96 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My main concern with mage 51+ is the epic, the epic pet seems to vastly outclass the other standard pet upgrades, however the earth staff just doesn't seem attainable.

None have dropped for my guild, and I have a feeling come kunark (level 60) it will just be a farm crew item once it's on magi
The level 60 water pet with the Phinny staff is still an absolute DPS monster when positioned correctly for backstabs. Not quite at the level of the Epic pet, but not terribly far off, either. And it's very attainable.

Even without their Epic and using just their regular pets, nukes and DS, Mages will remain the top sustained DPS until melees get their high-end NToV weapons in Velious. And even then it's pretty close.

Mages remain a very good class throughout the P1999 timeline. If you like playing a Mage in Classic there is zero reason not to continue playing one in Kunark/Velious. With your massive DPS and utility (CoTH, summons) you will always contribute a lot to whatever group/guild you're playing with, and can still solo better than everyone who isn't an Enchanter, Necro or Torpor Shaman.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:09 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The level 60 water pet with the Phinny staff is still an absolute DPS monster when positioned correctly for backstabs. Not quite at the level of the Epic pet, but not terribly far off, either. And it's very attainable.

Even without their Epic and using just their regular pets, nukes and DS, Mages will remain the top sustained DPS until melees get their high-end NToV weapons in Velious. And even then it's pretty close.

Mages remain a very good class throughout the P1999 timeline. If you like playing a Mage in Classic there is zero reason not to continue playing one in Kunark/Velious. With your massive DPS and utility (CoTH, summons) you will always contribute a lot to whatever group/guild you're playing with, and can still solo better than everyone who isn't an Enchanter, Necro or Torpor Shaman.
How is it acceptable for a player's epic to be virtually unobtainable? And then the "fix" later is to turn it in to a sockfest for no-lifers to monopolize?
Old 10-24-2020, 09:12 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamdigger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How is it acceptable for a player's epic to be virtually unobtainable? And then the "fix" later is to turn it in to a sockfest for no-lifers to monopolize?
Shit's Classic
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-27-2020, 03:39 PM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shit's Classic
So 2 mage epics per year? That's dumb.
Closed Thread