Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 01-28-2018, 12:48 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrquincy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello,

I've been running in Debian Jessie with an NVIDIA GPU for about a year now. the only major hiccup was an empty server list problem, which I resolved by using Zaela's p99-middleman.

I recently purchased a laptop with integrated Intel graphics. Can anyone here confirm that P99 will work with integrated intel graphics? I have 7th generation i5 CPU with Intel HD Graphics 620.
Should work. I run eq on an I7-2700k (gen2) and when i travel i use an old Acer M5 z09 which has an I5-3313U (gen3)

I remember playing eq on a Pentium III so you should be able to handle it on any current integrated chip.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:49 AM
Aviak

I can't get past the server screen. My terminal is showing this:

err[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]ulse[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]ulse_contextcallback Context failed: Connection refused
Old 03-14-2018, 08:51 PM
Large Rat

So it's been a few months since I posted here. Since then I solved my initial problem (crashes) by using a fresh eqclient.ini file.

Now I'm trying to figure out how to play this game in full screen. What I'm stuck with now is a virtual desktop that will only launch EQ (login screen) in very specific resolutions, none of which match my native monitor resolution of 1680x1050. These resolutions can be seen when going into the options prior to logging in. Trying to change the resolution to anything else than one of the preset values results in a crash for me with this being spammed in the terminal.

Quote:
err:winedbg:dbg_handle_debug_event 0069:007a: not a registered process or thread (perhaps a 16 bit one ?)
What I've resorted to doing is using a 1280x960 virtual desktop to log in, then once in-game used alt-enter to maximize the game itself to 1680x1050, which is selectable as a full screen resolution. Problem is... it's not a true full screen. Sure the window expands but I can still see the top bar and taskbar (yeah I have tint2). It's almost there but not quite perfect. I also know I'm definitely missing some room because the default UI starts off lower than whatever is available for me to see. Taking a screenshot revealed this clearly. I moved the chat/hotbar to show where it cuts off.
Link

What I've tried:
- wine explorer /desktop=shell,1680x1050 and launching eqgame.exe - patchme through command prompt.
- editing the eqclient.ini file windowed mode parameter
- changing winecfg virtual desktop to 1680x1050 (which results in failure to launch eqgame.exe)

Any ideas on how to get around this?
Old 03-15-2018, 02:30 PM
Large Rat

Figured it out. I have totally overlooked starting the game in windowed mode for whatever reason. Wracked my brains for hours looking for a workaround and turns out the .exe starts just fine in any resolution as long as the game client is in windowed mode. Once I established that it launched, I made my virtual desktop match my native resolution and simply used alt-enter once logged in and bam I got a complete full screen of EQ without any of it being taken up by the linux desktop. Made me very happy indeed [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Now the only issue is starting the .exe again after you've finished playing, as it will start in full screen mode. You could simply toggle the game back to windowed mode every time before you logged out but that would be extremely tedious and if you accidentally forget it would mean going back to the .ini file to edit it. However with a couple lines I was able to streamline that process using Vim. Here's how my startup looks like:

Code:
cd [PathToEQDirectoryHere]
vim eqclient.ini -c :%s/WindowedMode=FALSE/WindowedMode=TRUE/g -c :wq 
taskset -c 0 wine eqgame - patchme
This will find the first string and replace it with the second string no matter where it is in the file, as well as save any changes and quit Vim. There's no manual editing required. That's all there is to it!
Last edited by Shadeofgray; 03-15-2018 at 02:34 PM..
Old 04-04-2018, 01:47 PM
Decaying Skeleton

I seem to be having an issue in that the EQ window will load up but will show the error message
"Error in your GUI XML files. Check UIErrors.txt"

The error log shows this:

UIErrorLog created at Wed Apr 04 18:55:49 2018
[Wed Apr 04 18:55:49 2018] Warning: file EQLSUI.xml not found in directory UIFiles\default\. Attempting to use file from Default skin.
[Wed Apr 04 18:55:49 2018] Couldn't open or read UIFiles\default\EQLSUI.xml
[Wed Apr 04 18:55:49 2018] Error reading XML.
[Wed Apr 04 18:55:49 2018] Error loading skin: loading default skin instead.
[Wed Apr 04 18:55:49 2018] Warning: file EQLSUI.xml not found in directory UIFiles\default\. Attempting to use file from Default skin.

But the file is located in the correct place and I can open it fine
Old 04-26-2018, 04:24 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrom4n [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I seem to be having an issue in that the EQ window will load up but will show the error message
"Error in your GUI XML files. Check UIErrors.txt"

The error log shows this:

UIErrorLog created at Wed Apr 04 18:55:49 2018
[Wed Apr 04 18:55:49 2018] Error loading skin: loading default skin instead.

But the file is located in the correct place and I can open it fine

This is happening because your running WINE from the wrong directory just had to fix this on mine. Open your terminal and cd into your eq directory then run "wine eqgame.exe patchme" and as long as theres no other issues(like a blank server list) it'll work like it should perfect. If you want a shortcut, this is what im using:
Make a .desktop file, open a text editor and paste the following:
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=EverQuest
Comment=Everquest
Icon=PATH TO ICON
Exec=/usr/bin/wine eqgame.exe patchme
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Path=/home/USER/PATH TO EQ FOLDER
Name[en_US]=EverQuest
Change icon(or remove it) and path and make sure its executable(right click>properties).

Lubuntu 16.04 32bit
Old 09-03-2018, 01:29 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Hello all,

I have a simple questions, which I can't seem to figure out on my own. I have P99 running on another laptop, however it's on its way out. I managed to restore another laptop using Linux Mint (Cinnamon 32-bit) and decided to attempt to put P99 on it.

I believe I've gotten everything up and running aside from getting passed the Character Screen due to out of date spells. I've downloaded the new files (V45) and extracted them to my EQ files, though I still get the out of date notification. I did want to state that after running the V45 file, I noticed the background did change (from werewolf to Kunark images) but nothing else after that.

What could I be doing wrong? I feel that I'm missing something incredibly simple. Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 09-03-2018, 01:36 PM
Fire Giant

Are you making sure that the setup.dll is named with the correct case?

Drumas - 60 Cleric
Ashintar - 60 Wizard
Old 09-03-2018, 02:00 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Would you be able to elaborate a bit more? I'm unsure what you mean by correct case, my apologies.

I don't recall having done anything special with that .dll file. Perhaps I missed something within the installation instructions.
Old 09-03-2018, 03:29 PM
Fire Giant

Check out step 3 in this post

https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...17&postcount=7

Drumas - 60 Cleric
Ashintar - 60 Wizard