Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-01-2020, 01:17 PM
Skeleton

Default EQ Newbie here!

Afternoon everyone,

I've only ever really played WoW and gotten fed up with the direction Retail WoW is going, and I'm getting a bit bored with Classic WoW. I've always wondered what EQ was like since I had always heard about it but I never was able to play it back in the early 2000s.

I've been watching a ton of videos on Youtube about P99 to get an idea of what it's like, and I guess my first question is should I pick Blue or Green? Green as I understand it was a brand new server and is closer to the original 1999-era version while Blue is an expansion or two in and Green I guess has adjustments to make it closer to what originally was (I'm familiar with that from Classic WoW and having some features disabled because it didn't exist in Classic)? Would Green be a better starting point since it's newer?

The next question is something I'm sure that gets asked a ton, what class would be good to start out brand new with? I've played Warlock, Mage and Death Knight in WoW mostly. I've read a guide linked from the P99 Wiki called something like EQ for WoW Refugees to get an idea of things and it mentioned to melee classes. I'd like something that can solo decently if necessary since my time will be limited to maybe a few hours a week and I may not always be able to find a group depending on when I can log on.

The EQ Necromancer seems to be the ancestor of the WoW Warlock from what I've read (DoTs, Fear, a Siphon health ability) but running an evil character sounds like a bad idea since in EQ you can be killed by NPCs for being evil if you aren't careful? So like I would not be able to go into certain cities or the guards would know I'm a Necromancer and attack me?

I've seen it mentioned a lot that druid Druid is a good beginner class but I've also read that they are not really desired in groups because they don't do anything really well. I haven't read too much on Magician but it seems like somewhere in between a WoW Mage and a Hunter in that you do damage but have a pet that can tank for you?

I think it might be between Necromancer, Druid or Mage. Any suggestions? I'm eager to give it a shot and see one of the precursors to WoW and the former "king" of the MMORPG genre.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:29 PM
Banned

The first thing you want to do is read the beginner guides on the wiki. Great help there for new players.
Things to know:
Everquest is a lot different than other mmos. You will have to depend on other players. You will die and get frustrated. But believe me, we are still playing this game.

Classes for newbies (in my opnion):
(if you want to dps)
-rogue
-monk
(if you want to tank (preferably not a good newbie choice since most tanks are gear dependent)
-paladin
(If you want to heal)
-cleric
-druid
(if you want to be support/kind of everything)
-druid
-bard
(if you want mainly cast spells and have a pet! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])(both have pets are good for soloing)
-enchanter
-magician
-necromancer

Its all up to you tho. Tbh just pick a class you like and just roll with it. There are plenty of guides on the wiki and players are extremely helpful with new players.
You should definitely be playing on green if you want to be able to group with other players at a low level. The green server is currently on vanilla states and on November, the kunark expansion will go live. So, now's the perfect chance to start playing!
If you ever need help, send me a tell in game (Knifeman)
Good luck and see in Norrath!
Last edited by Tunabros; 06-02-2020 at 06:30 PM.. Reason: Edit; formatting
Old 06-03-2020, 03:50 AM
Kobold

I recommend Shaman as a beginner class. You get familiar with melee and spells and shaman has pretty much any spell category available so you can see what you like and you can either fit into the damage or healing role in a group. Barbarian shaman is solid and barbarians aren't evil. And you don't have to bother with pet macros until later levels. Everfrost is a great starting zone.
Last edited by Exard3k; 06-03-2020 at 04:03 AM..
Old 06-03-2020, 03:47 PM
Banned

I second this. Shamans are really decent if your looking for a class who can use spells and melee. They are pretty good soloers and valued in groups. As a new player, you should roll barbarian. But they lack night vision and have no regen bonus like the trolls and ogres have.

Near everfrost is black burrow and you can do gnoll fang quest turn in for some exp early on
Old 06-03-2020, 03:55 PM
Skeleton

I might try a Barbarian, they seem interesting!
Old 06-03-2020, 07:09 PM
Banned

i support necromancer choice for EQ beginners with the warlock mindset

you can solo to 50 with minimal gear
feign death, to avoid death
invis
invis vs undead
fear
skeleton pet
turn into a skeleton (increased mana generation)

**be warned though, EverQuest is substantially more unforgiving than WoW in terms of grinding and dying

good luck
Old 06-03-2020, 07:23 PM
Sarnak

None of the classes match, less quest exp compared to WoW (way less). No PvP unless you play Red server. It's best to make friends and get a guild so that you can help them and they can help you with gear and what not. Grinding will be monotonous but necessary. Good luck.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:03 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacman08 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Grinding will be monotonous but necessary. Good luck.
Sometimes it can be very boring, yes, but:

This is something i realy enjoy.
Difference from WoW i don't need to run around to much just to talk to one questgiver.
The grind is a great time to meet people and have fun chatting in the group.

But yes: sometimes it can be very boring.

Just don't take levelling up as the main reason to play, enjoy the way in levelling up and meeting nice (wich is the majority here) people.

Asmodina - Level 39 Wizard << blue >>
Corvinia - Level 51 Druid << green >>
Old 06-04-2020, 06:20 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacman08 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Grinding will be monotonous but necessary.
The fact that you have an actual long downtime you don't have on more modern MMOs is also a great opportunity for communication. Other players in /ooc, selling stuff, buying stuff, asking stuff, grouping up....whatever. I never had time in wow grinds for much chatting...was busy running around, beating mobs down.

atm I often port to EC when my mana bar is empty and buy/sell for 10-15min and then get back to mobs. Privilege of wizards/druids, but not boring at all [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-04-2020, 09:55 AM
Sarnak

level 1 is the only level when you get to kill even mobs efficiently. heed my advice; aim for lower levels to grind on
Closed Thread