Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 01-05-2015, 11:25 PM
Kobold

I want to try this out. Please PM link/files to get started.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2015, 12:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem with boxing is that the people who actually want to play with a living player have no one to group with because everyone is out duoing with their box
i've seen a lot of single boxers in game already

and i'm willing to add anybody in level range into my twobox group.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:34 AM
Sarnak

I think boxing severely devalues the individual character. If someone's not good enough or doesn't do enough damage, rather than improve their toon or team up with the community they can just add another box to their army. While I'll certaintly agree it takes a whole new kind of skill to box 3 toons using legit means... Once everyone is doing it (and they will if you let them) the solo character won't be able to keep up and will be forced to box or stay inferior. That's not EQ to me.

I wish the dudes over at takp just restricted the boxes to traders or xfer mules or w/e. That doesn't seem as game breaking as a player who boxes through PoP with 2 chanters and a cleric. Best of luck to anyone who wants to try it though
Old 01-06-2015, 04:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think boxing severely devalues the individual character. If someone's not good enough or doesn't do enough damage, rather than improve their toon or team up with the community they can just add another box to their army. While I'll certaintly agree it takes a whole new kind of skill to box 3 toons using legit means... Once everyone is doing it (and they will if you let them) the solo character won't be able to keep up and will be forced to box or stay inferior. That's not EQ to me.

I wish the dudes over at takp just restricted the boxes to traders or xfer mules or w/e. That doesn't seem as game breaking as a player who boxes through PoP with 2 chanters and a cleric. Best of luck to anyone who wants to try it though
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree. In my experience playing for 3 years on PEQ 2-boxing (where practically everyone else boxed an entire group) I managed to get the best geared of one class and top five of the other on the whole server without much effort at all. Less characters means you get to focus the gear you get, since in a group you roll per person not per character.

::edit:: note that this was several years before P99 so PEQ wasn't a joke of a server back then.
Last edited by KagatobLuvsAnimu; 01-06-2015 at 04:54 AM..
Old 01-06-2015, 05:36 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatos [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

The EQmac server client is extremely difficult to properly box with, compared to PEQ. Disregarding the inability to use MQ2 for even simple functions such as improved follow, or melee stick/assist, the inability to scroll out into third person is extremely limiting. Situational awareness suffers greatly. No tab-cycle targeting also throws a wrench into the works.

I don't think many people will choose to box Enchanters on this server, though I know some will, of course. They wont be played nearly as optimally as they would be if played alone, or with only one other character, however.

The three-box limit prevents people from being able to do everything alone. It takes a full group of mid-late PoP geared characters to take down most Velious content on PEQ, and the mobs are generally weaker on that server. Plus, players have the benefit of MQ2 and other such programs on PEQ. This server will not allow any of that.

In short, people complaining about not being competitive without boxing are being silly. This is not PEQ. People cannot run their own groups. There is still very much a need to group up with other players to take down any significant (read: gear-dropping) content at-level.

I will be duoing a mage and cleric, for what it's worth. I started with a Monk, Shm, and War . . . but it's just annoying managing the third character. I used to six box on PEQ with MQ2 only used for basic functions (no macros), and that was fine. But having to stand on caster characters before actually casting, among other things, makes manual boxing incredibly tedious. I'd rather just stick to a solid, if slightly inefficient, dual box. This way I can "solo" when I can't find a group, but I can easily fit into groups when I need/find them. I have seen many other people approaching the three-box limit with a similar strategy. It's just more convenient.

As they ground to make XP holy . . . let us twink to make it free; our EQ marches on!
Old 01-06-2015, 06:19 AM
Banned

There is no need for MQ2 stick or autofollow, because autofollow actually works fine on TAKP. If you need a program to box for you, you shouldn't be boxing, that's why I think PEQ is a failboat.

When it gets to game and client mechanics, the client used on TAKP is way more "classic" than the current client used to run P99. I am really looking forward to the QQ that will ensue once Secrets is done with his work on the trilogy client and it becomes mandatory here.

I would go as far as to say that a lot of people currently playing are gonna quit over it, it definitely will make "playing together with your fake wife/friends over VPN" a bit more challenging at least
Last edited by apio; 01-06-2015 at 06:21 AM..
Old 01-06-2015, 06:46 AM
Sarnak

I'm just speaking from first hand experience from the prior eqmac server. 3 toons can do serious damage, though hopefully history doesn't repeat itself there!

Also you can switch to a 3rd person view by switching camera angles then zooming out with the keyboard
Old 01-06-2015, 10:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrjun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone know how to download the dropbox files? When I click download it tells me the file is too large to download.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:33 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rec [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The problem with boxing is that the people who actually want to play with a living player have no one to group with because everyone is out duoing with their box
The same thing can be said of soloers not inviting people or duoers keeping to themselves here. It's all about the person you meet.

Some don't want to interact with people. Some will gladly invite you. Boxing is rather irrelevant to that. It allows someone who doesn't want to interact to accomplish more, sure. But people will behave the same way with or without it.

I've joined several groups with boxers and non-boxers alike. I've yet to be snubbed for a group. The only thing that's happened so far was a guy was 3-boxing, I joined him for a bit and then 30min later his 3-boxing friend showed up and they went off to duo together. No big deal, I probably would have done the same thing. We still buffed each other and tossed heals, he just didn't want to outlevel or get outleveled by his friend's toons.

Byrjun I'm not sure where the files are. I've had the client for 2 years and I'm still working off the old one I downloaded back then. I'd have to dig up what all is needed to set up this one. I have the resource folder and the secrets patch. Dunno where I could host them though.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:53 AM
Orc

I was excited about this but the way it is starting killed it for me. I didn't know anything of the prior EQmac or Al'Kabor projects, so I was expecting this to be a launch with progression from a new classic server. I was disappointed to find out that isn't necessarily the case.

I tried it before this post arrived. The two highlighted items are my biggest beef. They may have been broken but they're classic. If the server is going to institute lame classic features as no walking to stand or casting to stand, then everything else should have been classic too, leaving those items in.

I don't mind difficulty, as I play without using most of those options below. The no scrolly mouse sucks though. I've been conditioned for like 12 years to use a scrolly mouse from 1st to 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
<snip>
Anywho the server is legit mainly due to the client. So much classicness that this server cannot get unfortunately.

Stand to cast, sit to camp from day 1.
No target rings
No maps
No walk forward to stand
No scroll to 3rd person with mouse wheel (this makes the game much more difficult in certain instances)
No broken-prenerf items (CoS, Manastone, Fungi staff, Holgresh Beads, and Donals 1.0 will never exist here)
Can't see your mana value in UI
Can't have more than 1 hotbar page
No hidecorpses looted
No buff timers
No combat ability window (discs) - learn to type /disc evasive and make a hotkey to go on your single Hotbutton page
No cycle target hotkey - learn to CC without Easymode enchanters.
<snip>

Good luck on the project. It did take me back in time, as immediately upon logging in, the game is more classic looking in regards to graphics - much darker and much grainier.
Last edited by Walth; 01-06-2015 at 12:16 PM..
Closed Thread