Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 11:13 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No .. most of those OE computers you cannot overclock. If you have the money and want something like that buy an alienware (designed for PC gaming).
If you're an idiot and want to spend twice the cost of the hardware for an alienware case (including their own software and drivers which fuck up an unbelievable amount) definitely buy an alienware.

If you're not retarded and want to build a decent machine for a decent price but don't know what parts to get just use /r/buildapc to get the parts and anyone with experience building things with legos can build the computer with the aid of youtube vids.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xealias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you're an idiot and want to spend twice the cost of the hardware for an alienware case (including their own software and drivers which fuck up an unbelievable amount) definitely buy an alienware.

If you're not retarded and want to build a decent machine for a decent price but don't know what parts to get just use /r/buildapc to get the parts and anyone with experience building things with legos can build the computer with the aid of youtube vids.
I totally agree, but some people are just not capable of that or do not want to and have money to spend.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maerilith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You're dumb for wanting to overclock your system to play a 16 yr old elf sim and asking about it on said elf sim forum.

Go to toms hardware and learn2ricer properly.

You could have been at least amusing and made up some 1999 system specs and complained about how velious was crashing your system and directx7 wasn't cutting it.
Nice try, no one said anything about wanting to overclock to play P99, i was asking within a community that has quite a bit of people who are knowledgeable on something i wanted to learn about. I would hardly consider it dumb to use a resource that is available to you. Thankyou for your trivial and meaningless contribution.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:11 PM
Planar Protector

With a rig that old OC'ing won't do much, tbh. Then there's the heat factor. You MUST compensate for increased heat by using a CPU cooler...which isn't a big deal, but you'd have to find a cooler that fit the case and YouTube it up on how to install it.

If you want to fiddle go for it...just make sure you compensate for heat or you'll fry your CPU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:35 PM
Fire Giant

It's like putting a super charger or nitrous on a stock motor. Sure, it will make more horsepower for like 5 minutes. Then all the stressed out components will take a dump unless you upgraded.

Same thing will happen to your stock dell if you just OC it. IF it's even possible.
Old 11-29-2015, 09:43 PM
Banned

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackFlash [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's like putting a super charger or nitrous on a stock motor. Sure, it will make more horsepower for like 5 minutes. Then all the stressed out components will take a dump unless you upgraded.

Same thing will happen to your stock dell if you just OC it. IF it's even possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8
Old 11-29-2015, 09:46 PM
Planar Protector

put in liquid cooling IMO
Old 11-30-2015, 06:46 AM
Fire Giant

If you've never OCed anything this really isn't the way to start. Beyond what was said above and what you will likely do to your machine, you can even create a fire hazard doing this. I've avoided ever doing it for those reasons alone and I have overclockable chips and cooling designed for it.

Also, my understanding is Intel chips that can be OCed have a K in the name. As was said, it's likely not even possible.
Last edited by Weekapaug; 11-30-2015 at 07:08 AM..
Old 11-30-2015, 09:05 AM
Planar Protector

Oh you can OC it.

OC Q8200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken View Post
if your reason to be here is to ruin other peoples experiences and grief them off the server, then not only do you not deserve the privilege of playing here, but i will remove your ability to do so.
Old 11-30-2015, 09:31 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humerox [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Oh you can OC it.

OC Q8200
Make sure to follow the instructions.. I recently fried a motherboard by putting the wrong combinations in the BIOS settings.