Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 05:54 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I love how "just stay awake for 60+ hours" is thrown around like it's no big deal here ... as if it didn't require consuming an unhealthy amount of stimulants, or the sharing of one account between two people.

Not picking on you in particular Smelly, it's just ... the fact that this isn't like some crazy fact to everyone, that it's just no big deal in everyone's conversation ... that itself is a bit crazy to me.

P.S. I should note that making people stay awake to get precious loot has a long history on P99, going back to the earliest days of raiding:

Maybe that's why it's so blasé here?
I should say I meant the “60 hour” comment more as a tongue-in-cheek jest at the absurdity of it.

This was my comment from a separate list thread post-merger:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
32.5hrs in between drops is absurd. And that’s been a great time??

My question though on the list is this: how is people sharing accounts necessarily hurting this process? If I were to wait 20 hrs and not get a manastone, I wouldn’t want that time to be completely wasted, so I might enlist the help of a friend. With the present system at least, the devs know it’s taking 32.5hrs between drops, so they have to have factored in that people would be sharing accounts. It’s completely unrealistic otherwise for someone to stay up for almost 3 days straight, so their system almost requires account sharing.
Even though guides will come on here saying “you shouldn’t share your account data,” what else did they expect when they made the drop rates this low? They asked for it.
I honestly can’t fathom having to sit at my computer for that many hours clicking an AFK box every 5-15 minutes. I’ve had to stay up for work in the past for multiple days, and it was draining as all hell, but at least I was up and moving around. I can’t think of anything worth doing that for in a video game. Perhaps I should be more sympathetic to the plight of those that do, but it’s for such a nonessential bit of pixels that it’s hard for me to rationally understand it.

We’re going to see something like this before long, especially with the merger increasing the times spent at these camps: https://www.cnn.com/2015/01/19/world...ath/index.html
Old 01-23-2020, 06:19 PM
Sarnak

The bottomline is that there are 2 types of people who want to play classic EQ.

Those who want to enjoy the content, and those who find enjoyment by denying others access to the content.

It's very easy to find who's in what camp based on the types of comments they leave here, and even easier in game.

I don't believe we can re-conciliate both sides.

With the merge, the show-runners clearly indicated which side they are on. It is sad that they failed to understand how an overpopulated server would quickly become toxic/radioactive.

Yes, in 1999, you had 1500-2500 players on a single server. You also had people 2-boxing. Neither of those should be true in 2020 for any chance at a healthy vanilla-only server.

Godspeed and best of luck,

Astuce
Old 01-23-2020, 08:55 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuce999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Astuce
Did you play with Final Door on the live Stromm server?
Old 01-23-2020, 09:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
We’re going to see something like this before long, especially with the merger increasing the times spent at these camps: https://www.cnn.com/2015/01/19/world...ath/index.html
Heh, we've already seen this (with a Red P99er):

https://fox40.com/2015/03/23/woman-h...l-mace-attack/

Quote:
Sacramento County deputies responded to a bizarre and brutal attack ...

Investigators say a woman in her 50’s was walking her dog to her boyfriend’s house at 4:15 a.m. when she was attacked with a mace, a Medieval-style weapon with silver spikes ... Police arrested 34-year-old Travis Lanning ...

Photos on the suspect’s Facebook page posted in early March show him posing and smiling with a similar style silver mace. ... Lanning’s Facebook posts also indicate his interests in Everquest, a popular Medieval-style computer game.
But as crazy as Red makes people, that was the result of someone with a serious disorder having it triggered by his mother's death ... not Red [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I just hope no one actually does anything nutty because they tried to /list for too long, because then it really will be, at least in some small way, on all of us.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 01-23-2020 at 09:26 PM..
Old 01-23-2020, 09:25 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corbin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Did you play with Final Door on the live Stromm server?
Not sure how conceited this is going to come off, but here goes nothing.

I played Astuce on the Innoruuk server. I had a bit of a following. When the Stromm server opened, one of my "fans" created Astuce on it, as a bit of a joke at first, but ended up playing him and getting into Final Door.

When Innoruuk merged with The Nameless, the option to go to Stromm instead was given and my guild at the time chose to go there instead. I then became "Astucexxx" on Stromm. I did run into the "other Astuce" a couple times, and confused a lot of people. I did join Final Door briefly later on when my guild collapsed, but found a more suitable home with Subliminal Realm.

TL[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]R; Yes, but as Astucexxx and not the Astuce you may be thinking of.

cheers,

Astuce
Old 01-23-2020, 10:14 PM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuce999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I played Astuce on the Innoruuk server. I had a bit of a following. When the Stromm server opened, one of my "fans" created Astuce on it, as a bit of a joke at first, but ended up playing him and getting into Final Door.

When Innoruuk merged with The Nameless, the option to go to Stromm instead was given and my guild at the time chose to go there instead. I then became "Astucexxx" on Stromm. I did run into the "other Astuce" a couple times, and confused a lot of people. I did join Final Door briefly later on when my guild collapsed, but found a more suitable home with Subliminal Realm.

TL[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]R; Yes, but as Astucexxx and not the Astuce you may be thinking of.

cheers,

Astuce
I was only vaguely aware of this tale, ty for enlightening me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I remember Astuce, but must have absented myself during your visit with us in FD. I hope Darinae and the crew are well.

All the best in future adventures!
Old 01-23-2020, 10:19 PM
Banned

Quote:

I played Astuce on the Innoruuk server. I had a bit of a following.
Really conceited.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:34 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't understand why comments like this are necessary. While I wouldn't personally do the camp for that long, why do you care so much if someone else does? Who gives a flying you know what if that's what someone wants to do, as stupid as it may be
I've noticed how people derogatorily refer to getting pixels in a 20 year old game and the people who take it even semi-seriously. It's like,"Bitch, you're playing this too, don't pretend like you're any different."
Old 01-24-2020, 02:31 AM
Banned

Wink

Quote:
The bottomline is that there are 2 types of people who want to play classic EQ.

Those who want to enjoy the content, and those who find enjoyment by denying others access to the content.

It's very easy to find who's in what camp based on the types of comments they leave here, and even easier in game.

I don't believe we can re-conciliate both sides.

With the merge, the show-runners clearly indicated which side they are on. It is sad that they failed to understand how an overpopulated server would quickly become toxic/radioactive.

Yes, in 1999, you had 1500-2500 players on a single server. You also had people 2-boxing. Neither of those should be true in 2020 for any chance at a healthy vanilla-only server.

Godspeed and best of luck,

Astuce
In 1999, people played to make friends and have fun doing stuff! We weren't all min/maxers waving our hands around in frustration or quitting if we couldn't get a manastone and loot all BiS items...

What are your priorities in life?
Old 01-24-2020, 08:20 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteria [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
In 1999, people played to make friends and have fun doing stuff! We weren't all min/maxers waving our hands around in frustration or quitting if we couldn't get a manastone and loot all BiS items...

What are your priorities in life?
Hello Pixel-Denier,

Thank you for a great example of how the two camps have irreconcilable differences. Much like the old saying "a liar won't believe anyone else", pixel-deniers can't even fathom anyone playing for other reasons than their own value-set. If someone is frustrated or quitting, the only possible reason has to be manastone/BiS items, any other statement is immediately dismissed as bullshit.

Even if I brought up facts like "as a bard I have no interest in a manastone or jboots and I'll happily wait for Mask of Deception so that other people can get their guises", I would be instantly met with hateful skepticism.

The cognitive dissonance reaches its crescendo with the last question. While it seems perfectly reasonable and valid for pixel-deniers, for content-enjoyers it's an instant "WTF is wrong with you?"

It's the blue/black vs. gold dress, or Yanni vs. Laurel debate equivalent.

Thank you again for your contribution and I also love the avatar pic!

cheers,

Astuce
Closed Thread