Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2020, 09:03 AM
Sarnak

Is that info about “something for red server” still going to be a thing?
Old 01-24-2020, 10:18 AM
Banned

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuce999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello Pixel-Denier
Hello content-enjoyer! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Quote:
Originally Posted by astuce999 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thank you for a great example of how the two camps have irreconcilable differences.
You're most welcome, mate.
Quote:
Thank you again for your contribution and I also love the avatar pic!
Cheers! [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What is your highest level toon right now? Maybe we can group up some time - I wouldn't mind helping you get a guise if you didn't want to wait for a mask of deception.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:50 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Heh, we've already seen this (with a Red P99er):

https://fox40.com/2015/03/23/woman-h...l-mace-attack/

But as crazy as Red makes people, that was the result of someone with a serious disorder having it triggered by his mother's death ... not Red [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I just hope no one actually does anything nutty because they tried to /list for too long, because then it really will be, at least in some small way, on all of us.
No...it really won't be on any of us in any way. We don't control drop rates. I don't /list for items and increase the list time.

And it's not really on the staff at the end of the day either...no one is forcing anyone to /list for a manastone, they're not responsible for what some idiot chooses to do. That's like saying a car manufacturer is liable because some moron decided to drive the car into a group of people.
Old 01-24-2020, 11:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No...it really won't be on any of us in any way. We don't control drop rates. I don't /list for items and increase the list time.

And it's not really on the staff at the end of the day either...no one is forcing anyone to /list for a manastone, they're not responsible for what some idiot chooses to do. That's like saying a car manufacturer is liable because some moron decided to drive the car into a group of people.
Look, if you have a purely individualistic view of responsibility, then of course no one can ever be responsible for anything anyone else ever does.

But if you look at things like "a car manufacturer, trying to save time and/or money, accidentally creates a flaw that only kills people who break the speed limit and drive over 90 ... but they are still somewhat responsible, even though it was unintentional, and even though it was also the driver's fault for doing 90+", or ...

... "you cook someone a free meal, use slightly expired meat, and they die of food poisoning as a result: even though you just wanted to give someone a free meal and not kill them, you're still somewhat responsible" ...

... then maybe people can be responsible in a small way for other people, even when they're not putting a gun to their head and forcing them to do something.

If the least healthy among us dies while trying to achieve a goal that we've all (as a community) in some small way pushed them to get, while falsely making it out to be attainable by an individual (when it's not, or at least not without health risks), that's somewhat (I'm not saying 100%, or even 50%, but maybe 1% or 0.1%) on us as a community.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 01-24-2020 at 11:39 AM..
Old 01-24-2020, 11:55 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Look, if you have a purely individualistic view of responsibility, then of course no one can ever be responsible for anything anyone else ever does.

But if you look at things like "a car manufacturer saving time or money and creating a flaw on accident getting someone killed", or "you cook someone a free meal, but don't wash your hands and get they die of food poisoning as a result, you're somewhat responsible" ... then maybe people can be responsible in a small way for other people, even when they're not putting a gun to their head and forcing them to do something.

If the least healthy among us dies while trying to achieve a goal that we've all (as a community) falsely made out to be attainable when it's not, that's somewhat (I'm not saying 100%, or even 50%, but maybe 1% or 0.1%) on us as a community.
I disagree wholeheartedly.

If we’re even 1% responsible, that would imply that we would have had even the smallest chance to change the outcome. So how exactly can we change the outcome?

It’s obviously attainable; people having them is proof. Suggesting the onus is on us if he hurts himself trying to obtain one disregards OP’s freedom of choice. If we in any way infringed on that freedom of choice, then we would be partially responsible. But OP is an adult with the liberty to make his own choices, and as long as his choices don’t negatively impact someone else, then he’s free and clear to make them as he will. In your examples, those people’s actions affected or directly influenced the outcome, or had the opportunity to influence the outcome. We have no ability to realistically influence anything here.

“Most people don’t want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility” - Sigmund Freud
Old 01-24-2020, 12:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellybuttface [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But OP is an adult with the liberty to make his own choices, and as long as his choices don’t negatively impact someone else, then he’s free and clear to make them as he will. In your examples, those people’s actions affected or directly influenced the outcome, or had the opportunity to influence the outcome. We have no ability to realistically influence anything here.
The philosophical term for that first idea is "spheres of autonomy", as if everyone has a "bubble of rights" around them. It's an elegant concept, and one of the best/easiest ways of determining where to draw the line ... on people's rights. But rights and responsibilities aren't the same thing.

I'm very much not saying "no one here has the right to say what they want, or do what they want, because it might make someone else do something unhealthy." That's antithetical to what I personally believe.

What I'm saying is, we humans as a community have an social obligation to others in that community. The degree of it, the exact definition of community, etc. varies depending on which moral philosopher you subscribe to, and I'm not trying to pick a particular one. I'm just saying that every moral system sees communities as having at least some small responsibility to watch out for the least able in that community.

And as for not having the power to do that, I disagree. We could say this isn't right, something bad might happen, and protest to Rogean or something ... although of course I don't expect that.

Still, even just talking about the issue is doing something, compared to only ever laughing about people staying awake for 100 hours. It's like that "hold your wee for a Wii" radio contest. Everyone was having fun and laughing, until a nurse called up and said "this dangerous, you shouldn't have this contest" ... but the DJs ignored her and as a result someone died despite her call.

All I'm saying is, whether or not the nurse called, would it be her fault that the person died? Of course not.

But the nurse undoubtedly felt better because she did what little she could to try to prevent something bad from happening to someone she didn't know. The person's death wasn't the nurse's fault (and arguably it wasn't the DJ's either: they just offered a free Wii, they didn't put a gun to anyone's head) ... but good people still try and stop that sort of thing.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 01-24-2020 at 12:34 PM..
Old 01-24-2020, 12:37 PM
Planar Protector

P.S. That "wee for a Wii" contest was in the same place Mace guy comes from. Sacramento is like our own little Florida right here in California [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 01-24-2020, 12:56 PM
Banned

I would not be at Manastone still if the guy in front of me didn't NEED two (he said he's getting 4). Capitalism baby. The guy that's been #6 for 3 days has one already. I don't pretend to understand their motivation just like many don't know why get even one.
Old 01-24-2020, 01:20 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdrakes [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would not be at Manastone still if the guy in front of me didn't NEED two (he said he's getting 4). Capitalism baby. The guy that's been #6 for 3 days has one already. I don't pretend to understand their motivation just like many don't know why get even one.
Someone has waited 3 days at #6?

Whats the list at now?
Old 01-24-2020, 01:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erati [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Someone has waited 3 days at #6?

Whats the list at now?
At least 8, maybe 12? It's the weekend and some people aren't aware this is happening.
Closed Thread