Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 07:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't listen to all these nuts. If you try to solo an untwinked ranger past the 20s you will be doing a shit ton of rooting and shooting/rooting and healing. I know this bc my ranger had epics and full sky gear in kunark and has tov gear now at lvl52 and even then fights include rooting and healing.
You are fighting too hard mobs if that's true. One of the perks of a ranger is that they CAN kill higher end mobs than a monk. But it's not efficient from an exp/hour perspective.
Old 01-21-2021, 09:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don't listen to all these nuts. If you try to solo an untwinked ranger past the 20s you will be doing a shit ton of rooting and shooting/rooting and healing. I know this bc my ranger had epics and full sky gear in kunark and has tov gear now at lvl52 and even then fights include rooting and healing. Tbf you are asking about soloing on a hybrid in classic eq in 2021 so you just might have the tisms necessary to slog it out though so gl.

In answer to your other question, rangers can get decently strong and solo some cool content at the high end but you actually are better off with a knight at 60 with bis gear if you want to play that game. I know this bc I've tried it on both on 99 with bis gear and the ranger still underperforms in comparison.
What are you fighting with this ranger?
Old 01-21-2021, 11:27 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are you fighting with this ranger?
I wouldn’t say it’s what you’re fighting, but Pint is right it’s just painfully obvious how bad rangers are 45+ at face tanking content compared to a knight, regardless of how hard you twink one. When it comes to higher end solo content on a hybrid, Pallies win at this by a landslide, Sks really only start to be decent with epic, and rangers just never really ever get there. Fear kiting is your best bet on sk/ranger but I find that to be a miserable experience on a melee.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:11 PM
Planar Protector

Just asking out of curiosity.

I remember 46-54 being tough. Struggled to facetank sonic bats, even though far worse equipped 51 war and monk each did them with ease.

51 did seem a little less bad than 46-50, as if there was a step up in worn AC cap or something (or maybe a good mitigation spell gets added?), but the lack of defence skill ups started to show again 52-54.

On blue rangers now get slightly higher skill caps for some defensive stuff, which might help out any non-green new rangers during their 50s.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I wouldn’t say it’s what you’re fighting, but Pint is right it’s just painfully obvious how bad rangers are 45+ at face tanking content compared to a knight, regardless of how hard you twink one. When it comes to higher end solo content on a hybrid, Pallies win at this by a landslide, Sks really only start to be decent with epic, and rangers just never really ever get there. Fear kiting is your best bet on sk/ranger but I find that to be a miserable experience on a melee.
If you have raid gear, clicky spell haste, and a weapon that procs slow and you still have to back off and heal every fight then it absolutely has to do with what you are fighting.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolanar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you have raid gear, clicky spell haste, and a weapon that procs slow and you still have to back off and heal every fight then it absolutely has to do with what you are fighting.
People always talking about ranger potential with sky haste/slow epic. This vastly misleads new/casual people because these items are extremely difficult to obtain unless you raid a lot and even then there’s going to be a ton of other ranger alts who want in on it.

And Relying on procs is annoying unless you’re rocking like 200+ dex. Sure there’s Swarmcaller proc but the ratio is terrible and how much damage did you just take trying to get that to proc? I’m even thinking of mobs like hhk nobles which are pretty easy for their level but yet rangers still get beat hard by them and have few ways to mitigate downtime. I have all 3 hybrids, have geared them to the teeth. And every knight, monk, bard, and war outperforms them and if you want to be a solo artist you will be disappointed when you hit 50.

I’m not saying rangers aren’t a cool class and they can solo, they’re just not efficient at it.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

Offhand epic pretty easy. It's one raid that double drops the item, so easy to persuade guilds to help in exchange for tracking/whatever.

Lots of rangers use swarmcaller pre-primary epic for slow (I never found it worth it).

It's important to maintain the AC buffs, these are a huge part of ranger mitigation.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:15 PM
Planar Protector

All hybrids are elite.

SK - FD, HT = win
PAL - Heals, Rez, CC = win
RNG - Bow, Track = win

I think they're the best classes in the game. Raid preference be damned.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 01-21-2021, 01:16 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
People always talking about ranger potential with sky haste/slow epic. This vastly misleads new/casual people because these items are extremely difficult to obtain unless you raid a lot and even then there’s going to be a ton of other ranger alts who want in on it.
We are specifically responding to someone who has those items.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:05 PM
Planar Protector

I lost track which server the OP is on. If green then life is tough. Very tough. No fear and a 40% hybrid penalty...

If blue ranger grinding is easy. You can hit 50 in OT or low 50’s in Emerald Jungle. I went from mid 30’s to 49 in WL on Tigeraptors. 49-54 bow rotting in Grobb holding down 5 spawns in 24 mins before repops. Up to 58 in HK off Dyrna. After that my grind to 60 solo went from “weeks” to “months” but I was in no rush. At 58 I had a woodsman staff and cloak of crystalline waters, no fungi yet. Nuking between swings in Dyrna and hoping for the best. If not her, pick low Hp mobs that don’t cast and root joust or bow plunk. This is the era of YouTube and windowed EQ. If you aren’t a masochist find a duo partner and it would be way better.

A knight solo to 60 is way easier. Groups are easier to find as well.
Closed Thread