Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 09:44 PM
Kobold

Im on blue, though i'm not sure if i should be starting the ranger on green instead (i have a couple toons on green already).

it sounds like rangers generally won't fight toe to toe with things, so maybe i should just stick to knights if i want to dungeon crawl by myself
Old 01-24-2021, 01:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Im on blue, though i'm not sure if i should be starting the ranger on green instead (i have a couple toons on green already).

it sounds like rangers generally won't fight toe to toe with things, so maybe i should just stick to knights if i want to dungeon crawl by myself
Depends, what is your budget and which classes are you considering?
Old 01-24-2021, 03:14 AM
Planar Protector

So what do you mean by “crawling dungeons”? A bit late in asking for definitions (sorry) but let’s dig into this.

Crawling any dungeon that gives anything but green con exp at 60 will be exceptionally difficult, dangerous and slow. Npc’s scale more aggressively than players since this is a group-based game. For example, a blue con in Sebilis will usually have 2-3 times the hps of an unbuffed tank. A good player with a 60 shaman (with all the toys) can do this slowly and safely. Necros and enchanters can efficiently as well (plus some really good druids). The best melees on the server have but mostly (I expect) as a badge of honor. Now as a duo...completely different. Fun, faster, safer, etc.

If your are exploring dungeons with good gear 30 levels higher than the npcs any melee can do it. The average monk or knight is on the more capable side (monks faster). Rangers are less capable if only since a lot of these lower level npcs will have 6-8pt damage shields and you likely will be dual-wielding 1h’s.

So you might clarify what that means to you and how important it is. Is it for fun, profit, or the achievement itself? Whittling away at a npc with a lot of hps is rarely fun or profitable unless it’s a named spawn and you are very committed to burning some time.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:32 AM
Planar Protector

Bard definitely wins for melee dungeon crawling 1-50. 51+ not so much since charm song starts using mana, but you can still go a pretty good while before running out of mana but you will have to med for 1-2 hours to get that mana back when you do run out. FT items become big here.

I'd have to give the edge to pallies 50+. Calm/root and their ability to heal up health ridiculously fast gives them the edge for toe to toe dungeon crawling. However, when finally reaching 60, you may find yourself enjoying an SK or Monk more due to just being able to flop around dungeons with ease.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:53 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are you fighting with this ranger?
Najena > sola > solb is my preferred route to 60 but I did branch out a lot with my ranger as I never intended to get him last 52. I also killed in kedge, perma, com, velks, kael, kc off the top of my head. I can kill stuff anywhere with epics/sky cloak and velious ac/100hp items but it still required too much downtime to be enjoyable (for me). You can solo anything to 60 in eq, I just think it's misleading not to let someone know that in the year 2020 if they want to roll a hybrid, grind to 60, then gear it for dungeon crawling solo then they better not want to get to the crawling till the year 2022 assuming their play time is high. The high end ranger I used mostly in hate and their mitigation just kinda sucks, dps is decent but doesn't bridge the gap.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:20 PM
Kobold

I want to level up for the majority of my hybrid's life in dungeons, and then to be able to go after nameds. I like pally and have one in the mid 30's but i've found that whenever i log on to my old ranger (who is early 30's), i really missed that fast swinging action...

she has the haste gloves cuz she was made on blue like 2-3 years ago before i quit for a year, and a lamentation and jagged sword of mourning. whereas my poor pally doesnt have any haste items on green, but i can afford an FBSS now if i spend all my plat on it.

but based on what you guys are telling me it seems that as you get into the higher levels, a ranger can't like, go up to a mob in a dungeon, face tank 100% of the fight, and be done with it like a pally can. i just wanted to know if this bow rotting technique ends up getting more drawn out and longer/more tedious at higher levels. i'd assume no soothe/calm also hurts.

btw, is blue a dying server? I was in west karana last night and i was the only one!
Old 01-24-2021, 05:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I want to level up for the majority of my hybrid's life in dungeons, and then to be able to go after nameds. I like pally and have one in the mid 30's but i've found that whenever i log on to my old ranger (who is early 30's), i really missed that fast swinging action...

she has the haste gloves cuz she was made on blue like 2-3 years ago before i quit for a year, and a lamentation and jagged sword of mourning. whereas my poor pally doesnt have any haste items on green, but i can afford an FBSS now if i spend all my plat on it.

but based on what you guys are telling me it seems that as you get into the higher levels, a ranger can't like, go up to a mob in a dungeon, face tank 100% of the fight, and be done with it like a pally can. i just wanted to know if this bow rotting technique ends up getting more drawn out and longer/more tedious at higher levels. i'd assume no soothe/calm also hurts.

btw, is blue a dying server? I was in west karana last night and i was the only one!
Blue is top-heavy, though there are groups to be found at the lower end here and there. West Karana is just a dead zone, save for the occasional duo at bandits or soloer at ogres. Rangers are fun because of all the items that enhance them, but those enhancements are costly and hard to obtain. Having access to slow procs from Swarmcaller or epic mainhand are significant. Paladins aren't dependent on haste or slow when soloing, using root to joust instead, sitting and medding in between swings. Rangers can do the same, but they lack the damage mitigation. Harmony is superior to calm but then it is restricted to outdoor zones, limiting your dungeon crawl ambitions to Mistmoore, Karnor's, City of Mist, and maybe one or two more that don't immediately come to mind.
Last edited by Ennewi; 01-24-2021 at 05:46 PM..
Old 01-25-2021, 12:26 AM
Planar Protector

If you’re talking about just powering through a mob a monk is probably the best class. The perk of a hybrid (even a ranger) isn’t efficiency but capacity. Besides mend or clickies a monk just relies on doing more damage than the npc than it does to them. If they can’t...they have to feign or again burn expendibles. A pally can root and heal; a sk can tap with their pet helping or snare/fear, a ranger can do a bit of the pally game and also bow or dot stuff. A bard, well they have a huge list of tricks.

If you are a casual ranger/monk with around 2200 hps or a pally/sk around 3k a npc hitting for 80’s is one thing (lvl 40’ish old world mobs) but 150’s is a different game. Especially if that npc is a wizard, healer, or some random warrior who got buffs from another shaman NPC. You are going to grind off easier targets but being able to kill what you set your mind to is cool. I’ve killed a 12k hp lvl 49 SK spider with my ranger...10-15 mins and about 500 arrows but I did it.

The devs believed hybrids should be weaker than the pure counterparts. Hybrids have flexibility though that in situations can make up for their melee or casting downfalls. Rangers have their flaws but between track, snare, root, harmony, and spirit of the wolf they make a pretty fun class. They have other buffs and skills as well but those are some great hat tricks.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:41 PM
Large Bat

Can the Holgresh in Wakening Lands be ranger animal feared?
Old 01-25-2021, 03:28 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitalsign [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can the Holgresh in Wakening Lands be ranger animal feared?
I'm pretty sure only the panthers and tigerraptors can be. EJ has some animals that seem blue to low 50's. WW or bear pits (if you are brave) can take you to 60 I hear.
Closed Thread