Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 01-25-2021, 07:26 PM
Kobold

So what I'm hearing is that soloing on a ranger requires a ton of arrows. That was one of my main questions, because I'd rather not play a ranger if, as you get higher and higher in levels, you do more and more bow rotting. It gets tedious for me pressing 1 and seeing each arrow do so little damage....if shooting the bow to get the mob to 50% or even 70% health is required, then I probably won't go with ranger....
Old 01-25-2021, 07:29 PM
Kobold

And just wanted to add to some earlier posts...
my main goal in this game is to be a solo artist. I just don't have the time to commit to regular raiding and those irregular hours that come with it. For me, the fun is in viewing this game almost like a single player game and making my way through a tough dungeon and fighting some bosses. If I'm going to be disappointed at 50 or 60 as a ranger trying to be a solo artist, then maybe it's not the right class for me.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
my main goal in this game is to be a solo artist. I just don't have the time to commit to regular raiding and those irregular hours that come with it. For me, the fun is in viewing this game almost like a single player game and making my way through a tough dungeon and fighting some bosses. If I'm going to be disappointed at 50 or 60 as a ranger trying to be a solo artist, then maybe it's not the right class for me.
If your goal is to be a solo artist ranger is 100% not the class to play. Enchanter would be the #1, then Shaman, then probably Monk or maybe SK.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:49 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selene [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Going back to your original post and this update, if you want to play a “hybrid” you should play a shaman. They really are a hybrid, just lean a little further on the caster strength vs melee. You have tons of options that a more melee focused character doesn’t have and you will really enjoy your quality of life. Shaman can easily melee there whole life, but you can also tailor your strategy to whatever the situation. Shammy are cheap to twink starting out (legit some banded, hp rings, and a decent weapon and your golden until 30).

Then there is tons of gear upgrades to keep it feeling new. You have pretty decent race options. Barbarian might work if you like humanoid looks, iksar is totally viable, and ogre/troll look hilarious and are very strong.

You will not regret starting a shaman and you will have unlimited upside, to the point where you can become a god at the high end with torpor and crazy strong gearing.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:22 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
So what I'm hearing is that soloing on a ranger requires a ton of arrows. That was one of my main questions, because I'd rather not play a ranger if, as you get higher and higher in levels, you do more and more bow rotting. It gets tedious for me pressing 1 and seeing each arrow do so little damage....if shooting the bow to get the mob to 50% or even 70% health is required, then I probably won't go with ranger....
I agree with your assessment. I love playing a ranger but with average to below average gear like mine, soloing in the low 50s is agonizing. The grouping is a ton of fun, but the soloing is rough.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:07 AM
Fire Giant

Just play a bard. Less melee damage but way more abilities that allow them to solo all the way to 60 (swarming, fear kiting, charming, even face to face with slow/dots/melee etc).
Old 01-26-2021, 06:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just play a bard. Less melee damage but way more abilities that allow them to solo all the way to 60 (swarming, fear kiting, charming, even face to face with slow/dots/melee etc).
He wants to be a solo artist and kill named mobs in dungeons, what about that to you screams bard? lol
Old 01-26-2021, 07:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
He wants to be a solo artist and kill named mobs in dungeons, what about that to you screams bard? lol
Shaman is probably best call I’ve seen in thread.
Old 01-26-2021, 12:16 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croco [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What makes you think a ranger would be any better than a bard at being a solo artist and killing named mobs in dungeons?
Old 01-26-2021, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattydef [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What makes you think a ranger would be any better than a bard at being a solo artist and killing named mobs in dungeons?
I mean...besides root? Not getting hit is an ideal way of not getting killed. Although we really should quality what "killing names" means since many 51+ mobs summon and imho neither are terrific at this.

Back to the OP, you have the hps of a rogue and worse defense caps. You do less damage than a monk. You're HP recovery or avoidance is horrid compared to a knight.
You have no "escape" method besides snaring and running or rooting and camping out. Why would you pick this as a solo artist? It's an underdog class through and through.

Again, you can solo to 60 (with any melee really). If you dont have the patience for summoning arrows I'd pick a different class, probably not even a melee. They are ALL a dredge to hit 60 on. Finding a group with a ranger will be more tough than most melees; a monk or rogue can get to the camp far easier and usually will be preferred if all things considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shaman is probably best call I’ve seen in thread.
Agreed though they are pretty expensive to gear up. A great basis for a dungeon duo even if a scrappy one.
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-26-2021 at 12:55 PM..
Closed Thread