Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:41 AM
Kobold

Default Rejected Names

Whenever I make a character, the first three or four names are seemingly always rejected, and on a server with under a thousand players online at any time, this seems a bit peculiar to me. I'm fairly creative with naming things, the names I choose are typically recondite words which are appropriate to the character for one reason or another, obscure mythological characters or deities and that sort of thing. Like, why is my name being rejected when it's an Arabic astrological reference? Are the names shared across multiple servers or something?

Perhaps I'm just frustrated having my favourite names rejected and then getting in game to see one in three players in contravention of the naming policy with names like "Killme", "Iluvtrees", and "Healu".
Old 07-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Banned

You can never be too creative.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 AM
Planar Protector

I have the name Allakhazam, and I would sell it for the right price. Pms please.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:01 AM
Sarnak

yeah i tried making my wood elf ranger legolas and was rejected, wtf
Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pico [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
yeah i tried making my wood elf ranger legolas and was rejected, wtf
Did you try XxLegolasxX?
Old 07-14-2011, 01:32 AM
Banned

ssjsephiroth was taken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-14-2011, 01:38 AM
Banned

my characters name is Bushkn Ewaboutwtc
Old 07-14-2011, 03:26 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainflush [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm fairly creative with naming things...

...Like, why is my name being rejected when it's an Arabic astrological reference?
Perhaps the word creative is ironically a subjective term. Sure, someone might start naming their druid Ursa Major after some star constellation but it's still drawing from a given name somewhere else.

But then what isn't? Swish is a noise made by all kinds of things, Krivin (my DE cleric) is basically a Neriak vendor name with an added "I" and my many other alts have something that is swiped or adapted from somewhere.

Try altering spellings slightly (my wizard is Kriven), play around some. You'll be surprised that something you thought would definitely be taken actually isn't after a few more goes at it.

As for the naming policy I see all kinds of names around - my SK's surname got removed for having swearing in it, but not before it got through the filter and I'd attended 2 GM events did it get spotted while I was sat in EC and did I get handed a 24 hour suspension. Best thing is just to tow the line and name responsibly [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Hope you find one you're happy with - I spend far too long with the names of characters, just sat there at the creation screen staring into space [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 07-14-2011, 03:29 AM
Planar Protector

Iegolas was available, and with the default EQ font...you too can be a power ranger!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:10 AM
Kobold

One of the OP's premises is just faulty. True, there are only ever 1000 people on server max at any one time (or there abouts). BUT, because P99 is a free server, and has been active for a few years now, you have thousands and thousands and thousands of toons that are simply never played.

People sign up for a few days, make a few toons and then quit. No harm done to them since its free. Other people have about a ton of alts. Some innovative people created alts just to save names. Pulling numbers out of my ass, but I could easily see there being 40,000 names currently locked up.
Closed Thread