Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 03:51 PM
Skeleton

Default Old School Necro Reborn

Found this site a couple days ago, and happy to be back playing EQ for the first time in probably 15 plus years. Played on the Nameless back in the day, one of the first lvl 60 Necros on that server. Looking forward to getting back to the grind and killing high level stuff again.

Character name is the same, Posiden, DE Necro. If you see me around feel free to say hi. Look forward to having some fun back in the EQ world again, and getting to meet some of you online. Hard to believe how much stuff I've forgotten, but ready to knock the rust off.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-13-2018, 11:05 AM
Skeleton

Just starting again from nameless too. Look me up; decoryah.
Old 12-13-2018, 10:09 PM
Planar Protector

Is it true the Nameless server had a big Asian userbase? (like Japan/Taiwan etc)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:11 PM
Skeleton

And aussies and US users that worked nights.
Old 12-15-2018, 01:29 PM
Aviak

At risk of telling you something you already know, you may want to consider rolling as an iksar instead. A lot of necros have leveled up to the 50s/60 with a DE, and then ended up rerolling as an Iksar for the regen that you can't really get another way.

From Sesserdrix's necro guide:
Quote:
Iksar is the ideal min-max race for a necromancer. Iksars have the ability to forage, they have additional AC, but most importantly, they have regeneration. Regeneration as a bonus to a necromancer is difficult to compare to any other racial. It is something that creeps up on you as a necromancer, as you don't really notice it until you're 49+. What is so good about regeneration is that it curbs off your HP loss from your lich spells. These spells reduce your HP and give you a lot of Mana. To curb the HP loss, you use lifetaps to get your health back. But using lifetaps is very low damage for the high mana it costs, resulting in low efficiency. This means that having regeneration allows you to use less mana on lifetaps, and more mana on efficient damage, which results in you killing more enemies in the same amount of time.

Iksars get an experience penalty, but in return for that penalty, you get a power that no other necromancer has, or ever can rival with gear, that makes you kill more stuff. I cannot stress to you enough how big a deal being an Iksar is, and how irreplaceable the regeneration trait is. I played Uteunayr up to level 60 as a Dark Elf, and rolled a second necromancer, Sesserdrix, just because of regeneration. I urge you that if you care about producing the best output you can, that you should go Iksar.

Ultimately, make the choice you will be happiest with. If your subjective value given to recreating your classic character is greater than the value you place on the numerical advantage offered by Iksar, go with your classic character. I just want you, the reader, to make an informed decision so that if you choose to go Non-Iksar, you do it for the right reasons, not because you didn't know that what Iksar offers is a major output advantage.
That said you may be fully aware and want to play DE anyway, because they are after all a way cooler looking race, in which case have fun and welcome!
Old 12-15-2018, 08:51 PM
Skeleton

Thanks for the heads up. I appreciate the information for sure. I did know, but thanks for trying to help regardless. Love all the nice people I've met in the game and site so far, makes it so enjoyable to play again.

Two reasons I stuck with my DE Necro. First, nostalgia, familiarity, and yes, the cool factor lol. I loved everything about EQ and playing my DE Necro. Only character I ever really played. Second, while I know the math does favor Iskar at higher levels, truth is from personal experience, it's not important whatsoever. Necros are so efficient if you have good gear, play smart and use the right spells, you never really run out of mana or have to med at top levels. With the DOT and DD lifetap lines, hp's are never really hard to come by.
Old 12-25-2018, 12:15 AM
Kobold

Oh yeah, right on. I went DE Necro for the same reasons. 59 now and no regrets. Have fun.
Closed Thread