Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 12:06 AM
Sarnak

Default Warrior aggro

I’m trying to make sure I’m maximizing my aggro and aggro retention and have a few questions about how I should think about progressing my gear to maximize this.

I’m lvl 55 right now and using a frostbringer in my main hand and WESS in my offhand. My dex is only around 115 and I have 22% haste.

What should I focus on the improve my aggro? Should I push for more Dex gear? I’m wearing a couple -dex crusty pieces but I’ve been saving money for gems when I can get velours armor turn ins. Dox a 5% increase in dex equate to a 5% increase in procs or how should I think about this relationship?

I could also try for a better weapon like the infestation (not a huge upgrade) but it would improve my totally white damage moving the FB to offhand.

Frankly my main concern is grinding out some levels, but want to set my priorities the right direction as I continue getting upgrades.

Oh and I’m and ogre so Max Str/Sta when buffed pretty easy.
Old 12-20-2020, 01:08 AM
Planar Protector

Procs are normalized. Sarnak Warhammer would be functionally better than the WESS. Infestation is a slight upgrade but id probably pass on that sockquest and keep grinding. Not a bad route tho if you have someone to help get it from DN.

Haste is going to be your next big aggro bump. This is from the Haste Guide:

Haste Caps
Level Max total haste permitted
1-30 50%
31-53. 74%
51-54. 84%
55-59. 94%
60 100%

At current you need WR to get close to capping. 34% worn will do at 60.
Last edited by Snaggles; 12-20-2020 at 01:13 AM..
Old 12-20-2020, 02:06 AM
Fire Giant

you are fine now for leveling

i say upgrade haste is your next goal
Old 12-27-2020, 02:27 PM
Sarnak

No such thing as "aggro" when playing as a warrior - EQ devs didn't realize that holding aggro was an important part of tanking until... Luclin I believe, which is when warriors got the Provoke skill.

In all seriousness, Infestation + Frostbringer is a solid setup and you could upgrade your haste without too much effort, which will translate into a big aggro bump. Ideally, you want Willsapper at some point, but that's hilariously difficult to get without coordinated assistance from a raiding guild that's willing to spend the time and energy to get it for you.

You can probably find a crew that's willing to get Infestation for you for a reasonable price. It's really not that hard to get.
Old 12-27-2020, 06:30 PM
Planar Protector

Warrior aggro is a thing and always was. Dps learned to ease in or wait for assist calls. People on P99 are impatient as hell. If a dps dies it’s on them, never the tank.

Strategize your gear and know what procs meet the hate threshold. Learn to play and communicate. All the bad warriors miss step 1 and 2.
Old 12-27-2020, 08:15 PM
Sarnak

have your CC root the mob. Easiest way for warriors to keep agro, unless your DPS are dumb and stand closer to the mob than you, in which case don't bother rezzing them [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-27-2020, 08:35 PM
Fire Giant

Haste is everything.
Old 12-28-2020, 03:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soothsayer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No such thing as "aggro" when playing as a warrior - EQ devs didn't realize that holding aggro was an important part of tanking until... Luclin I believe, which is when warriors got the Provoke skill.
During the Dragons of Norrath expansion, it came to light that shield bash stun was meant to produce similar aggro to spell stun, but the feature had been broke since release. The devs had just assumed for years that the players were munchkins prioritising looking cool dual wielding over the ‘more effective’ sword and board. Ofc they didn’t fix the underlying broken mechanic as ‘the meta had settled’, and instead added some new furious bash shields and shield block aas.

Luckily for warriors, they have decent melee skill caps so can produce fair swing aggro, which lets them get by coupled with root.
Old 12-28-2020, 04:42 AM
Fire Giant

Step 1: if someone other than you gets aggro its because they are bad - be sure to tell them that.

Step 2: if you die its your healer(s) fault. Make sure to tell them they are bad when applicable.

Now you’re well on your way to being a great p99 tank!
Old 12-28-2020, 09:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
During the Dragons of Norrath expansion, it came to light that shield bash stun was meant to produce similar aggro to spell stun, but the feature had been broke since release. The devs had just assumed for years that the players were munchkins prioritising looking cool dual wielding over the ‘more effective’ sword and board. Ofc they didn’t fix the underlying broken mechanic as ‘the meta had settled’, and instead added some new furious bash shields and shield block aas.

Luckily for warriors, they have decent melee skill caps so can produce fair swing aggro, which lets them get by coupled with root.
That explains why warriors have a shield in their class icon I guess.
Closed Thread