Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

View Poll Results: What's better, SK or PAL
Shadowknight 53 51.46%
Paladin 50 48.54%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 04:22 PM
Fire Giant

Better at what? They both have strength/weakness in different situations.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:14 PM
Fire Giant

Paladins have some cool niches, but in aggregate I'd say SK is stronger.
Old 12-31-2020, 07:32 PM
Banned

Both have their strs and -strs.

Question is very broad tbh.

But here:

SK have alot if nice tools, both invs, Levi, FD, pet, summon corpse, fear kiting, pacify undead etc.

Paladin have, pacify, heals, stuns, HP buffs, rez.

For solo:

Overall: nil difference both can go 1-60, just depends on your style of play.

Outdoors:
Shadowknight
Indoors:
Paladin

For dps:
Shadowknight

For raid:
Paladin, though 100pct can be argued SK can help pull.

For full group xp:
Paladin, though the difference is basically nothing, extra heals and LoH tips this in the Paladins favor.

For duo's:
Shadowknight, the extra dps, FD, etc helps more.

Summary:
As a Paladin lover I advise people to play SK because it serves people's need to feel like a DPS, and they have FD.
Paladin isn't for everyone, it's a slower, controlled leveling experience and your end game is something that most won't enjoy. However, in the long run a geared Paladin will out solo a geared Shadowknight. I.e, Paladins can solo Crypt.

This is why there's 1000 Shadowknights to 1 Paladin on blue.

Both are great, just slightly different approaches.

P.s. a Paladin + Shaman duo is great fun.
Old 01-01-2021, 12:54 AM
Planar Protector

SK on live; pally on p99.
The pally is less exciting but offers more control aside of pulling. 20 years later the boring is nice.

I’d be happy with either, they both fit a great niche and personally wouldn’t solo both to 60 (and gear them). Happy with that quick HoT though and LoH since I went this route.

Note: I didn’t get a fungi until I was max level. The DW helm is legit good for 400p...
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-01-2021 at 01:13 AM..
Old 01-01-2021, 03:10 AM
Planar Protector

With zone knowledge? Paladin. Without? Shadow Knight.
With unlimited funds? Shadow Knight. Without? Paladin.

Lay Hands > Harm Touch

Heals > Lifetaps

Resurrection > Summon Corpse
Though there are edge cases, especially when a corpse falls through the world and no guides are online.

Sanctification > Unholy Aura / Leechcurse

Deepwater > Blood Ember

Fiery Defender + SoulFire > Innoruuk's Curse + Reaper of the Dead

Circlet of Shadow > Ring of Shadows

Revenant Bauble > Peggy Cloak

Vampiric Embrace / Shroud of Death > Divine Might
Lifetap procs rarely see resists.

Cures ≥ DoTs
Cures are useful in solo, group, and raid content. DoTs are more useful than cures in solo content and darkness is excellent in groups, but even the heavier DoTs rarely see use on raids.

Stun ≥ Fear
Fear is more effective but also more situational, as there are times when using it will lead to death en masse which isn't the case with stun. Versus mobs that are immune to either spell type, stuns still retain much of their worth on the spell bar for aggro.

Feign Death ≥ Divine Aura
FD seems better overall, especially with three versions and CoS, but DA cannot fail and aggro can be regained with taunt while invulnerable. Root and camp are okay enough in the absence of Feign Death, otherwise DA and zone if (a few) too many mobs are aggroed.
Last edited by Ennewi; 01-01-2021 at 03:37 AM..
Old 01-01-2021, 03:24 AM
Banned

Paladin

so fun I leveled paladin to 60 on multiple TLPs, did the epic three times, and have my

wallpaper as my paladin

shadowknights are ok i guess
Old 01-01-2021, 11:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sanctification
What are you doing that you like Sanctification so much? I've never been particularly impressed by it.

Danth
Old 01-02-2021, 06:32 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What are you doing that you like Sanctification so much? I've never been particularly impressed by it.

Danth
I wasn't either initially, but thinking over it more and more, anything that provides immunity in one form or another has to have its uses; thoroughly exploring what those are is difficult since more robust disciplines exist and often in greater abundance given the popularity of other classes. A stance to reduce or negate physical damage and a racial that gives immunity to frontal stun are all better, but spell damage comes in more varieties than physical; having a hard counter SV versus the majority of spells across the resist spectrum seems potentially very useful for long pulls, even with such a short duration / long cooldown. The best, most comprehensive resists available to player characters at the click of a button, better than any combined total of those received from gear, buffs, and songs. At least that's how it reads on all of the sites.

From personal experience, it works well as an extension to Divine Aura when running from trains. Paladin DAs to block physical damage from respawns on the way towards the zoneline, jumps/strafes out of melee range, then pops Sanct after DA fades if casters are aggroed.

For short duration "kill it before it kills you" fights, such as Gorenaire, Sanct means no dragon roar or AE damage. Even if the target doesn't die before Sanct fades, the effect still lessens the demand for heals and guarantees opportunity to get aggro.

If there's nowhere to line of sight a raid target's AE, due to poor positioning/aggro bouncing, the paladin can stay with the main assist for SoulFire clicks until they're back in range of the clerics.

DA to engage/position Trakanon, then click off and spam aggro with Sanct applied to counter AEs. The blind/stun is unresistable apparently, but everything else should be blocked.

Have yet to test Sanct against procs.

https://www.project1999.com/forums/a.../t-173050.html

Quote:
sanctification : is broken it should block procs and it doesnt.
But assuming that's been fixed, there are more than a few targets that would be tanked with greater ease as a result.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Soul_Devour
https://wiki.project1999.com/Deadly_Lifetap
https://wiki.project1999.com/Stone_Spider_Stun
https://wiki.project1999.com/Frosty_Death
Last edited by Ennewi; 01-02-2021 at 06:48 AM..
Old 01-02-2021, 09:07 AM
Sarnak

Paladin has the stronger overall spell package on paper, but it tends to be less awesome in reality than it is on paper due to stacking issues with clerics, and the fact that you just can't really use your heals much if you're tanking for a proper exp group that pulls often enough that you don't get to meditate for real. The buffs are alright if the group's healer is a druid or shaman, I suppose. Root has its uses, but so many classes have root that the tank is the last person who should be handling that.

I always felt that shadowknight has a spell suite that's more universally useful than the paladin. FD is such an incredibly convenient ability to have, and snare+fear allows for reasonably efficient soloing. Having both types of invis is sweet. If P99 cared to correctly implement mob low-health running speed so that snare was actually necessary in dungeons, shadowknight would have a distinct advantage in groups. The SK's aggro spells are also a little better as FoL is awkward to use from range and the stuns have high mana costs and long cooldowns, and you get one at 30 and another at 49, so that's a bit long to wait. If the Cease/Desist ones were in this timeline, that'd be another matter.

Lay on Hands is definitely better than Harm Touch, but I think the SK's access to large races pretty much balances this out. During Kunark, tradeable gear is vastly superior for SK than paladin (Atramentous Shield, Ebon Mace, FD legs, Incarnadine) whereas the paladin epic is so much easier to obtain, so I'd say that balances out as well. SKs also get CoS which is fantastic forever. Paladins get a 90% rez, but not until level 59 where it barely matters anymore. It's more of a service you can offer for pocket change.

Neither class shines in raids. Paladins do bring a 200 HP buff that stacks with pretty much everything, but it's not exactly a high-impact spell. SKs get to participate in pulling, and while monks are generally favored, there are cases where it's useful to have a puller with three FDs (two spells, only clicky) and the ability to summon a pet. From my days on Sullon Zek where only one of the three teams had access to SKs, we learned that this occasionally matters. Using a pet to help split pulls is rarely done here for some reason (I guess because monks can still do the job), but there are places where it's legit and make SK the better pulling class in those cases. A 200 HP buff is probably better overall, but not miles ahead.

If you boil it all down to sheer numbers and theorycrafting, paladin probably comes out ahead because their abilities are easier to measure mathematically. Personally, I think that the sheer QoL of FD and respectable soloability counts for more than some okay buffs and heals that you can't even use in many cases, so I consider shadowknight the more attractive class; but if you ask someone who cares mainly about raid desirability, they might say paladin just because of the 200 HP buff.
Last edited by Noselacri; 01-02-2021 at 09:37 AM..
Old 01-02-2021, 09:46 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Paladins are probably the superior offtank as well, since raid mobs basically resist all Shadowknight spells.
Doesn't matter, resisted spells still generate aggro and it's not like pala spells aren't resisted the same. At least SK has some spells with negative resist check if that was a concern. And 55+ mobs are outright immune to stun... do stuns even generate aggro when the mob is immune? I can't remember.

WHen it comes to off tanking in raids it's actually great to be able to get snap aggro and then feign it off after a while to hand the mob to a warrior if needed. Flurry drakes come to mind.

Quote:
In solo situations, it depends. Both Paladins and Shadowknights are bottlenecked by mana. Their mana pools are relatively small, and can get drained quickly if things go bad. Shadowknights deal more damage, and can kill mobs more mana efficiently than Paladins due to fear kiting and FD. This is especially true with caster mobs, because Paladins are forced to cast a lot of stuns, whereas a single fear can last for at least 40 seconds. However, Shadowknights lose a lot of options when fighting mobs that are highly magic resistant or immune to fear. In those cases, Paladins have the advantage because self heals cannot be resisted. That means they can spend all of their mana in the fight, whereas a Shadowknight wouldn't be able to use their spells, unless you do something like summon an eye to cast lifetap on.
Fear kiting is way more mana efficient than facetanking mobs and healing yourself afterwards. 45+ pala can use clickies to heal for free but that takes forever and SK can fear kite for free with clickies. I can't think of anything that's immune to magic and fear that a pala would be able to solo anyway.
Last edited by greatdane; 01-02-2021 at 10:00 AM..
Closed Thread