View Poll Results: What's better, SK or PAL
Shadowknight 53 51.46%
Paladin 50 48.54%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-02-2021, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Doesn't matter, resisted spells still generate aggro and it's not like pala spells aren't resisted the same. At least SK has some spells with negative resist check if that was a concern. And 55+ mobs are outright immune to stun... do stuns even generate aggro when the mob is immune? I can't remember.

WHen it comes to off tanking in raids it's actually great to be able to get snap aggro and then feign it off after a while to hand the mob to a warrior if needed. Flurry drakes come to mind.

Fear kiting is way more mana efficient than facetanking mobs and healing yourself afterwards. 45+ pala can use clickies to heal for free but that takes forever and SK can fear kite for free with clickies. I can't think of anything that's immune to magic and fear that a pala would be able to solo anyway.
When it comes to offtanking in raids, I was more referring to the idea that Paladins can heal themselves and generate agro via their spells, whereas Shadowknights can really only generate agro, due to resists. From my experience, spells like lifetap are mostly resisted on raid mobs, even with the -200 check. Lifetaps are gimped in the raid scene on this server, to prevent cheesing bosses. I do agree that SKs have better snap agro, so that is a very good point in favor if SKs in raids, and FD is always nice[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I also agree fear kiting is overall better than a Paladin's toolkit, barring some specific scenarios. It is more mana efficient, and you can do it for free forever. SKs get their full kit (snare, fear, FD) in clickie form, whereas a Paladin needs to cast their roots and stuns, they only get soothe on clickie. Any mob above 55 is also immune to fear, so Paladins could go toe to toe with a 55+ mob with more options than an SK. If you want the be the type of player than does solo challenges, Paladin can handle some mobs better. Cliff Golems come to mind here. They are level 58 and summon, so your only real option is to facetank with a willsapper. A Paladin would be much better in that fight with heals.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:05 PM
Planar Protector

Lifetap needs to be unnerfed. It’s ridiculous that two classes worth of players have their main spell nerfed because of one item making a mob that spawns once a week be a 10 second instead of 16 second fight.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:07 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lifetap needs to be unnerfed. It’s ridiculous that two classes worth of players have their main spell nerfed because of one item making a mob that spawns once a week be a 10 second instead of 16 second fight.
FWIW, a surprising number of mobs in Plane of Growth don't seem resistant to lifetaps. Casted various taps repeatedly on Rumbleroot and not a single resist.
Old 01-02-2021, 04:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I also agree fear kiting is overall better than a Paladin's toolkit, barring some specific scenarios. It is more mana efficient, and you can do it for free forever. SKs get their full kit (snare, fear, FD) in clickie form, whereas a Paladin needs to cast their roots and stuns, they only get soothe on clickie. Any mob above 55 is also immune to fear, so Paladins could go toe to toe with a 55+ mob with more options than an SK. If you want the be the type of player than does solo challenges, Paladin can handle some mobs better. Cliff Golems come to mind here. They are level 58 and summon, so your only real option is to facetank with a willsapper. A Paladin would be much better in that fight with heals.
https://wiki.project1999.com/Deepwater_Bracer
Old 01-02-2021, 06:17 PM
Planar Protector

I’ll have to check the wiki but fairly certain the recycle time on FoL beats DC. It’s quick enough that I only stun on pulls to prevent any chance of a fleeing target.
Old 01-02-2021, 07:36 PM
Planar Protector

Paladins with a lot of cha are fantastic pullers with root. They can't split massive trains of 6 mobs easily. But for anything they are geared and leveled for. They're great at.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:29 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Stun on a 6.0 cast time is borderline worthless tbh.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatdane [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Fear kiting is way more mana efficient than facetanking mobs and healing yourself afterwards. 45+ pala can use clickies to heal for free but that takes forever and SK can fear kite for free with clickies. I can't think of anything that's immune to magic and fear that a pala would be able to solo anyway.
Using DW helm and arms I was going 60-90mins on solo's sessions without bum hitting the deck. The HoT heal has been a game changer and I was grinding Velks fairly easy.

Depends how you play.

Also yes, fear kiting is good in outdoor zones, but limited in dungeons where the gud xp/named can be found.

I.e my goal for my Paladin to hit 60 with his remaining 80pct is 20pct in Kedge, 20Pct in Sebilis and 20pct in HS, and 20pct (secret zone).

Basically all zones SKs would struggle to solo due to mechanics of fearing and needing space.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Stun on a 6.0 cast time is borderline worthless tbh.
Absolutely not worthless. It's a 4 second stun with a 6 second cast time and NO recast. When used in conjunction with your castable stun and shield bash you can effectively shut down caster mobs almost completely for very little sustained mana. So it's extremely useful when tanking for groups in places like Seb and Chardok where your own DPS is relatively unimportant. It's also nice for pulling as the stun gives you a head start on the mob.
Old 01-03-2021, 02:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Using DW helm and arms I was going 60-90mins on solo's sessions without bum hitting the deck. The HoT heal has been a game changer and I was grinding Velks fairly easy.

Depends how you play.

Also yes, fear kiting is good in outdoor zones, but limited in dungeons where the gud xp/named can be found.

I.e my goal for my Paladin to hit 60 with his remaining 80pct is 20pct in Kedge, 20Pct in Sebilis and 20pct in HS, and 20pct (secret zone).

Basically all zones SKs would struggle to solo due to mechanics of fearing and needing space.
Fear kiting is not limited in dungeons at all. You just use a high level snare with a short duration fear. Once you learn a dungeon you can find the safe areas to pull to, and you can fear kite there. With FD you have plenty of opportunities to learn the dungeon too.

I do stand corrected on the no clickie stun, forgot about the bracer. Clickie stun is very nice. Even with a 6 second cast time, no recast is very OP since stuns generally have a decent cooldown.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 01-03-2021 at 02:31 PM..
Closed Thread