Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bind a key to /loc
This is a great trick!

Also it's worth keeping a spare rusty weapon in the bank at low levels... the stuff you have on your corpse isn't worth that much, sometimes it is faster to 'get back on the horse' by grabbing your banked weapon than trying to retrieve your stuck/lost corpse.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Speaking of UO, I have a newbie question. Something changed, or seemed to change, in the 2000s. I am not knowledgeable with this so.. was it voxels or just an artstyle change?

from this
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

to something like this
wow

No idea.

The first screenshot is a customized building. You just buy a foundation and then build from a big toolbox that houst what you like.

The second screenshot looks more like minecraft to me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I am just playing on Vetus-Mundus from time to time and there it looks the classic way (like it does on live, i know from a friend)

And sorry for being off topic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Asmodina - Level 39 Wizard << blue >>
Corvinia - Level 51 Druid << green >>
Old 05-26-2020, 06:25 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoricL1222 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
npc dont take items
Pirate NPCs do indeed steal items, but it is only if you drop said item on the ground.

Try it on Sister Island in OOT, there is a lvl15 pirate up the hill behind the huts as soon as you get off the boat. You drop items on the ground and he will steal them, since you can kill him and his corpse will not have your items.
Old 05-26-2020, 07:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistria [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
wow

No idea.

The first screenshot is a customized building. You just buy a foundation and then build from a big toolbox that houst what you like.

The second screenshot looks more like minecraft to me [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I am just playing on Vetus-Mundus from time to time and there it looks the classic way (like it does on live, i know from a friend)

And sorry for being off topic [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, the question is confused on my part because I don't know exactly what I am asking about.

Outside of old engines vs. new engines I am curious where that old artstyle found in games in the mid to late 90s went. Maybe it was an engine change over the years (no specific game, those were just examples) and they can no longer make that sort of art or the artists themselves changed with the market and the old ways fell out of favor.

We still have sword & sorcery games from time to time. My eye sees a difference in them. Maybe its like Diablo 1 vs. Diablo 3... I guess.. Nevermind, I am not making any sense.
Old 05-26-2020, 08:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistria [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Any of you remember (if you played it) how dieing in UO was?

The screen turned black (like when you close you eyes)
Then turns up again in black & white, you see yourself standing in a grey robe next to your corpse and see your stuff beeing pulled (like floating over the screen) out of your corpse into the mobs inventory.

Richard Garriot is a funny guy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You got me all misty eyed with nostalgia. UO was a helluva game. I remember getting murdered a lot... the last words I often saw... "Corp Por".

Elendil's Giveaway
Old 05-27-2020, 03:15 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblake81 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well, the question is confused on my part because I don't know exactly what I am asking about.

Outside of old engines vs. new engines I am curious where that old artstyle found in games in the mid to late 90s went. Maybe it was an engine change over the years (no specific game, those were just examples) and they can no longer make that sort of art or the artists themselves changed with the market and the old ways fell out of favor.

We still have sword & sorcery games from time to time. My eye sees a difference in them. Maybe its like Diablo 1 vs. Diablo 3... I guess.. Nevermind, I am not making any sense.
Ah, now i think i have it.

I don't no either, it realy seems the oldschool look of games is not the taste of the majority of players. It is probably us old fashioned ones that like it.

Still there are some game following this oldschool path but mostly they are smaller in content and from smaller publishers.

I liked to play PIXEL HEROES: BYTE & MAGIC for a bit. Quite simple but not that easy to finish. (I never did)

And lucky us, there are freeshards like P1999 (praise the devs) and UO has a lot of different freeshards as well. Some with XP boosts.
Llike UO-forever, where there is a nice interview with Richard Garriot from the shards 5. anniversary where he is telling how they experienced how player swarm all over the world and killing everything after they tried to balance out the fauna.

Or his discussion with a thief... Also there is Lord Blackthorn. Quite nice to watch the interview.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-hSkPvNtrg

Very nice funny video.

I think we are doomed to play our old elf-sims over and over again.

But that is kind of 1. world problem.

Since there are so many nice people here it could be worse.

... it could rain [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 05-27-2020, 03:16 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_PVP [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You got me all misty eyed with nostalgia. UO was a helluva game. I remember getting murdered a lot... the last words I often saw... "Corp Por".
Hahaha yes.

Kal Vas Flam (longer time till spell effect hits you)

followed by a Corp Por

uuhhhuuuuu

*Blackscreen* [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Old 05-27-2020, 09:45 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
you see yourself standing in a grey robe
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 05-27-2020, 11:37 AM
Sarnak

Old 05-27-2020, 01:15 PM
Planar Protector

All wandering NPC's in everquest can pick up items. Thats why drop transferring is dangerous and unregulated lol
Lost but not forgotten.
Closed Thread