Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2019, 10:49 PM
Planar Protector

Smile Classic EQ is bad

Hi, I'm a rogue on green server. It's been super fun and will continue to be, largely because social interaction is so necessary in EQ and it's nice to chat with people. From the standpoint of pve gaming mechanics though, this game sucks hard lol. I never remember it being this bad back in 2000 when I first played the game, but back then I really had nothing else to compare it to and we were all lost newbies.

So when I join a group, it's generally me and 3-5 mages and necros. We might also have a cleric, wizard, or very rarely a tank. The caster pets can't keep agro off of me, so I mostly stand around waiting for the right time to attack, and often don't get to do anything until the mob is running away. Said pets actually seem to be better tanks than my naked elf self too, though maybe it's just that if they die it's no big deal. It's kind of hilarious how useless I am without a tank in the group, and then if we do get a tank they often can't hold agro either. Rogues not having evade in classic, lol.

And it's kind of hilarious that there's a MASSIVE lack of tanks rn, partly due to the classic af hybrid xp penalty, and partly due to casters being so op in this era of the game. Kinda seems like tanks aren't really necessary at all, if you're a necro with a mage or cleric pal. Really you can complete all of the group content in classic without needing a melee character at all.

I'm still making progress and I'm especially enjoying the drama. Just wanted to remind everyone that this game sucks and we're all super weird masochists for playing here <3
Old 11-05-2019, 11:16 PM
Banned

It's a strange thing isn't it, objectively the game isn't great. Yet here we are, something draws us back to this game again and again. I've stopped questioning it and just enjoy it for what it is. I could be playing newer games and learning them but at the end of the day a game is a game. Does it matter as long as I'm enjoying it? Nope.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:17 PM
Sarnak

I've been really looking for a place to complain so I'll use this thread. Exp penalties on hybrids/bards, can't play those. No mage/necro pets after level 20? Can't play those. No agro on warriors and crap gear? Can't play a warrior. A million shamans/druids on the server that no one wants in their group? Can't play that. Rogues/wizards? Can't play those - not that great in groups compared to other classes.

So your viable class options if you want to have a normal/easy classic eq life are a cleric, enchanter, or a monk. Aside from that, you have basically 2 viable exp locations at each level, almost no end game at level 50, and you have to stare at a book if you want to get mana.

Classic eq was and is terrible. Kunark and beyond were significantly better, but I never wanted classic eq to begin with. I just wanted a fresh server with corpse runs(pre PoP).
Zekdos - Troll SK
Last edited by Roth; 11-05-2019 at 11:20 PM..
Old 11-05-2019, 11:18 PM
Kobold

what makes a game suck? i'd say it's a lack of enjoyment per investment, and i hope most people still playing eq feel their investment is worth the amount of enjoyment they get.

i mean, im sure some don't meet that quota, but i hope most do.

[Famalin Wisdomseed - High Elf Wizard - Quellious - 99 to 01]
Old 11-05-2019, 11:23 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've been really looking for a place to complain so I'll use this thread. Exp penalties on hybrids/bards, can't play those. No mage/necro pets after level 20? Can't play those. No agro on warriors and crap gear? Can't play a warrior. A million shamans/druids on the server that no one wants in their group? Can't play that. Rogues/wizards? Can't play those - not that great in groups compared to other classes.

So your viable class options if you want to have a normal/easy classic eq life are a cleric, enchanter, or a monk. Aside from that, you have basically 2 viable exp locations at each level, almost no end game at level 50, and you have to stare at a book if you want to get mana.

Classic eq was and is terrible. Kunark and beyond were significantly better, but I never wanted classic eq to begin with. I just wanted a fresh server with corpse runs(pre PoP).
Most of this is really, really wrong.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:29 PM
Sarnak

Turn off attack on rogue.
Get words/runes.
Druids and shamans are amazing in groups, can aggro kite for rogues.
Hybrid penalty vs ZEM and ZEM wins every time
Don't need to stare at book, just have to have it open [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-05-2019, 11:42 PM
Planar Protector

Last time I did classic EQ (2011 red server, obvs) I played as a cleric and we basically had a static group, which made it easier. Either our paladin or ranger would tank and they held agro super well ofc. There's less reason to play a hybrid on a pve server, now that I think about it. Back on red there were hybrids everywhere, which made for a much smoother grouping experience for everyone I bet.

hmmm [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-05-2019, 11:47 PM
Sarnak

This seems more like a commentary on how modern powergamer shitlords all rolling pet classes sucks the fun out of the game. People didn't do this in Classic and it wasn't designed for it.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:54 PM
Planar Protector

Those guys are gonna be gone soon. Couple of months, half a year, bored and out. Best time for this server is going to be the three months before Kunark and the three after.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeboim [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This seems more like a commentary on how modern powergamer shitlords all rolling pet classes sucks the fun out of the game. People didn't do this in Classic and it wasn't designed for it.
Mages and necros are under 20% of the server. OP is just exaggerating in an effort to make his claims seem stronger than they really are.
Closed Thread