Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 02:40 PM
Planar Protector

Lhancelot seems to be the only one having an issue with Swish in this thread, everyone else just bouncing ideas / feedback off one another.

Take a breath, challenge your thinking, and realize its OK for Swish to make a good thread. Or just continue to bully him and convince yourself that you're doing us a favor.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:52 PM
Kobold

I'm doing a solo wilderness backpacking trip in a couple weeks. Been doing some trail conditioning with 8-14 mile hikes with all my gear, food, and water in my pack (~25lbs).

Other than that, the usual ~5 nights a week running or bicycling.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:57 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lhancelot seems to be the only one having an issue with Swish in this thread, everyone else just bouncing ideas / feedback off one another.

Take a breath, challenge your thinking, and realize its OK for Swish to make a good thread. Or just continue to bully him and convince yourself that you're doing us a favor.
You sound angry Rygar!

Sorry you are upset that I made some critical comments about the OP that you might not agree with. That's not "bullying," that was sharing my personal perspective of the OP.

I also never said anything about him making bad threads. In fact I find some threads highly entertaining!

I have to assume English is not your native tongue, as it seems you lack comprehension of the words I write often times.

Glad I could clear this up for you though, so you understand me and my message better. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:03 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by khysanth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm doing a solo wilderness backpacking trip in a couple weeks. Been doing some trail conditioning with 8-14 mile hikes with all my gear, food, and water in my pack (~25lbs).

Other than that, the usual ~5 nights a week running or bicycling.
Wow, you pack light! Next time I go on a multi-day trip, I will prepare my gear a bit better. Last time I did this I was packing around 40lb and that was pretty rough. I believe much of the issue was my tent and sleeping bag weight, not to mention my pack wasn't very light to begin with.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wow, you pack light! Next time I go on a multi-day trip, I will prepare my gear a bit better. Last time I did this I was packing around 40lb and that was pretty rough. I believe much of the issue was my tent and sleeping bag weight, not to mention my pack wasn't very light to begin with.
Long time ago, I had to partake in a 12 mile road march and the standard pack was weighed and had to be 30 pounds. This was not an easy stroll.

40 pounds would be really rough unless you were in extraordinary shape, I'd think. Considering you got 40 pounds on you, along with worn gear I assume. That's a lot of weight.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:30 PM
Planar Protector

Down 80lbs since December. I just started eating more reasonable portions and not trying to finish what I'm served at restaurants etc. I still order whatever I want, I just ask them to only give me 1/2 or 1/4 portions else the rest will be thrown away. It also helped to slow down while eating. A meal that I'd previously engorge myself with in 5 minutes now I'm unable to eat more than half of it if I take 10 minutes to eat it. Also helped a lot with the lunchtime "food coma" at work.

-Mcoy
Old 08-07-2017, 03:37 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You sound angry Rygar!

Sorry you are upset that I made some critical comments about the OP that you might not agree with. That's not "bullying," that was sharing my personal perspective of the OP.

I also never said anything about him making bad threads. In fact I find some threads highly entertaining!

I have to assume English is not your native tongue, as it seems you lack comprehension of the words I write often times.

Glad I could clear this up for you though, so you understand me and my message better. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Hmmm, sound angry despite no use of exclamation points and calls me out for lack of comprehension? I will assume English is not your native tongue, as it seems you lack comprehension of the words I have written.

In a typical Alarti-esque argument you are just picking apart a single word and spinning off it, rather than seeing the overall message that hey, you're ragging on a guy for no good reason here, maybe back off?
Old 08-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Banned

Lhance is on the roids that's all. It's the PEDS talking not his true self.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:09 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhancelot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Long time ago, I had to partake in a 12 mile road march and the standard pack was weighed and had to be 30 pounds. This was not an easy stroll.

40 pounds would be really rough unless you were in extraordinary shape, I'd think. Considering you got 40 pounds on you, along with worn gear I assume. That's a lot of weight.
Definitely not in extraordinary shape! Hiking poles and a relatively gentle grade (this was along Opal Creek in western Oregon) were extremely helpful. The longest stretch was 8 miles, but we took a few breaks. The other advantage was excellent spring weather, plenty of cold water and a bit of bourbon. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Luckily, I didn't do any harm to myself, but in retrospect I should have been packing much lighter for a single overnight on the trail. I went on a bit of gear spending spree and brought way too much crap. WTB Tink bag?

Next time I'll try to find good deals on ultralight equipment as well as get better at packing essentials.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelek [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Been slowly upgrading my gear to lighter weight stuff over the last few years. The big 3 are definitely where you can shave off the most weight (tent, sleeping bag, pack). It's best to upgrade your other stuff before your pack though, because once your gear is dialed in, you know exactly how big your pack has to be and how much weight it needs to comfortably hold.
Closed Thread