Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 09:56 AM
Large Rat

Default Second start

Hello,

I found out about p99 a few years ago and was pretty excited to play the same mmo I was playing back in high school. After I got everything set up I found out my wife and I were going to have a baby and I ended up not having the time to give eq a serious go.

Now I'm thinking it's time. I had a 48 iksar monk back in high school but I always thought that paladin elf sword looked awesome, ardent defender? Or something. Anyways it was my dream back then to get an epic and maybe that sword. Now that I'm starting fresh I was thinking of going for both.

Is the pally epic and ardent defender too hard for someone with a moderately modest neckbeard to get? And is a paladin even worth on p99? Or would it be best to go some other tank
Old 06-10-2018, 01:34 AM
Large Rat

* nature's defender
Old 06-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Large Rat

I decided to just make a paladin regardless... made a high elf and ran him to freeport for some feels. I remember the trip being way more scary as a level 1. The boat didn't disappoint compared to my memmory. Took a long time.

I found an old picture of myself playing eq back in the day. The screen was hard to see but you can tell it was everquest because the ui took up most of the screen. Maybe that's why it seemed more scary, that and I have my hand on the arrow keys. Ex keyboard turner here. I had a ball mouse instead of a laser anyways. If I remember when I get home I'll try and find that pic.

My name is Tryr. High elf paladin in West freeport
Old 06-10-2018, 05:10 PM
Kobold

There's not a lot of paladin's on the server, but they're probably the second best group tank in the game. And since nobody plays them, there's very little competition for most pally only raid items. Epic is also very doable, as far as epics go.

Welcome back to Norrath! Hope to see you around.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:12 PM
Planar Protector

Warriors will always be the raid tanks but SKs/pallies do well in groups. I was always a SK fan myself but either works, I just prefer SK mechanics [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Paladin epic is very achievable for sure ^^
Old 06-11-2018, 02:48 AM
Large Rat

I did some reading and creep'd around the forum. Both sk and paladin sound good to me playstyle wise. I enjoy grouping in dungeons. It would be nice to have a fear kite option and I remember thinking fd was my fav skill of all time when I was playing my monk. But since I think I'd like both in a group setting and for long term goal sk epic seems more out of reach
Old 06-11-2018, 03:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
for long term goal sk epic seems more out of reach
Is that a good thing, though? It keeps you a strong long term goal to chase!

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 06-13-2018, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Is that a good thing, though? It keeps you a strong long term goal to chase!
This is my main motivation when I play my Necro.

I tend to give up playing a class when I feel like I've achieved everything on it.

I will probably never get my Necro epic, but that won't stop me from trying [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 06-13-2018, 10:02 AM
Large Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoTriz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is my main motivation when I play my Necro.

I tend to give up playing a class when I feel like I've achieved everything on it.

I will probably never get my Necro epic, but that won't stop me from trying [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol well I hope that I can get that point someday then I'll make a class harder to achieve epics and gear. Or I'll try red or something. Nature's defender and pally epic and hopefully a long friends list is what I am aiming for atm
Old 06-13-2018, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Lol well I hope that I can get that point someday then I'll make a class harder to achieve epics and gear. Or I'll try red or something. Nature's defender and pally epic and hopefully a long friends list is what I am aiming for atm
Yeah, didn't mean to sound like the Paladin epic is a breeze. It'll be challenging. They're all challenging. Even the Rogue epic is.

I like Paladins. Their gear and weapons look awesome, and you probably won't have to compete with others when it comes time to collect raid gear.

Paladins and SKs are typically in the same boat when it comes to being great group tanks and taking a back seat while raiding.

Plus Paladins get 90% rez which is awesome as well.

I also used to be in a guild that had a Paladin main tank during raids, well lower tier raids, but he did great.
Closed Thread