Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 04:14 PM
Planar Protector

Put all 25 into sta, have an extra 100hp at 60.
Old 04-22-2015, 06:13 AM
Aviak

Nice! Thanks for all the tips guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorian [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also bards are utterly crap at melee (unless heavily twinked) so would not bother getting expensive weapons. My bard is on holiday until the hybrid penalty goes.
Is that penalty going away at some point?
Old 04-22-2015, 06:16 AM
Aviak

In like 6 months. Don't sweat it, you will not feel it so much in early levels. Enjoy the class - bard is one of the hardest to play well, and you need the extra time at each level to experiment with different tactics. Read all the guides, learn all the songs, which ones stack, etc.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:12 AM
Aviak

Ok now that I have my bard made can you guys help me with something else? I read somewhere else on this forum that a Bard can start kiting multiple mobs starting at level 2. I have tried this without much sucess. I only have two songs. Can someone explain to me how to do this exactly?
Old 04-24-2015, 10:45 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ok now that I have my bard made can you guys help me with something else? I read somewhere else on this forum that a Bard can start kiting multiple mobs starting at level 2. I have tried this without much sucess. I only have two songs. Can someone explain to me how to do this exactly?
Helpful vids provided in literally the top thread in this subforum at the moment: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=181605

Essentially you just need to turn on Chords of Dissonance and then hold downthe forward and strafe buttons simultaneously. Use your mouse's right-click button to turn, and turn in a circle such that you'll hit the mobs with your PBAoE pulse, but they won't hit you.

This functions because players in EQ move slightly faster while running + strafing than they do with just running. So any mob of normal speed (i.e. not SoWed or something) will run slower than you while doing this.

I just started trying this and there's definitely a learning curve. Your margin for error is very small, but at low levels you can survive a few screw ups that would insta-kill you later. I just started P99 a few days ago with a Bard and I was able to get a 45+ mob kite going outside Kaladim at level 4, got me 23% XP in that 1 pull.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hope you followed this advice. HP, and by association STA, is king for most classes. CHA wont affect you much since unlike an enchanter, none of your songs have very long duration. Ive never geared my bard for CHA and have never had an issue mezing or charming. One place CHA will help is crit resists on lulls, but bards do get quite a bit of CHA gear, and both paladins and enchanters can easily buff it to a workable level since max CHA isnt really necessary. Max STA on the other hand is important, and it is much harder to max than STR. DEX is nice, but at 60 with like 160 DEX ive never had problems with missed notes.

HP, STA and resist are really the most important bard stats, everything else is secondary.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:32 AM
Planar Protector

I would put a ton of it in Strength. Heffers suck at starting Strength. If you want the Blue Man look you will be encumbered with 50 plat on you. Been there, done that.

Unless you want to sing a strength Song all day take my advise. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-25-2015, 12:02 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by pink grapefruit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Anyone who disagrees with this doesn't know what they're talking about.
Old 04-26-2015, 09:18 AM
Sarnak

Hero bracers = ~350pp
Crested helm = ~400pp

For less than 1k, that's +16 STR (and +3 CHA).
Old 04-26-2015, 11:28 AM
Sarnak

I put all my points in dex, then 5 in strength because missed notes will wreck you during pvp, str helps with melee and carrying plate (bards still melee depending on the situation), and cha doesn't seem to make a difference. You don't need alot of gear, but its still worth getting a good weapon early on because melee is your primary source of damage at lower levels. And you'll never fully abandon melee. Buy vendor instruments and ask around for some help with spell money or extra bronze / blackened / etc gear. Make sure you bind your keys because clicking sucks too. I plan on making a complete bard tutorial soon. I'm a new bard on the server (Suif) but I played the old red box as a 50 bard.
Closed Thread