Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 12:54 PM
Fire Giant

I did a lot of the 50+ leveling on my bard doing trios. 3 manning camps that are usually occupied by full groups is great exp. Bard/cleric/warrior and bard/shaman/monk always worked out really well. Soloing with dots or charm works, but i've never seen the appeal of leveling that way. In general I'm not a huge fan of soloing except for a few classes, so if I'm gonna do it I might as well do the most efficient version of it. 3 man groups is the way to go for leveling a bard imo. Better exp than a full group, and with less people it forces everyone in the group to really play their best. Full groups always seem to have one or two slackers.
Old 03-03-2016, 02:36 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loke [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
bard/shaman/monk always worked out really well
What did the Bard do in this group to make it work really well? The wife and I (she's a Shaman, I'm a Shadow Knight) have added Bards on occasion but they never really seemed to stack particularly well with our duo. That makes me wonder if you were doing something we weren't.

Danth
Old 03-03-2016, 02:53 PM
Aviak

He could be snaring and slowing so you two could focus more on damage output. Shaman wouldn't have to keep haste up since the Bard has a song for it. He could charm a pet and add more damage that way as well. SK's have incredible aggro holding capabilities. The shaman could be using excess mana to dot and the Bard would be singing hp/mana regen anyway. On downtime, he could be twisting two mana regen songs that stack(Don't remember which two). The SK and bard could work together to speed up pulls using Lull and FD.
Last edited by thewrush; 03-03-2016 at 02:58 PM..
Old 03-03-2016, 02:55 PM
Fire Giant

They can add a lot with regen and mana alone for less/no downtime. Factor in pulls, cc, snares, charm dps with adds.... it really depends on the camp and how well everyone communicates. I love grouping, but I've found a lot of people are either clueless, lazy, or both...
Old 03-03-2016, 03:50 PM
Banned

Location: ✿Kohai in the Streets, Senpai in the Sheets❤( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Send a message via ICQ to Xaanka Send a message via AIM to Xaanka Send a message via Yahoo to Xaanka

bards actually contribute a fair bit of DPS to root rot groups or duos, around level 40-50 range if you have a decent drum modifier. after a while the bard dots peter out and you become a mana battery/mez/emergency charm again tho.
Old 03-03-2016, 05:49 PM
Fire Giant

Yea, it really depended on how lazy the shaman wanted to be. In an ideal situation I mostly just focused on hp/mana regen, atk buffs, charm when doubles, emergency CC on bigger pulls until the shm could root/slow, aggro control in the rare event AE slow was used, and assisting with pulls. It was also sped things up because me and the monk could share tanking/pulling duties. When your puller and your tank are the same person, it can get tricky to chain mobs into camp as quickly as you can with someone who can set up the pull while the tank is still fighting. I actually used to do most of the pulling because lull was often quicker than FD/sneak, and with mez I could park and position mobs so that the shaman could root and debuff before the previous mob had been killed. Basically the monk just had to sit in camp and burn through the mobs I queued up for him so we had no downtime due to waiting on pulls.

It was always different though depending on who I was playing with. When I play my bard I usually let other players set the tone for how the group operates, and then just adapt what I'm doing to best compliment what they're doing. It doesn't always result in the most efficient group, but I always felt like I made more friends and had more fun adapting to others than expecting them to adapt to me.
Old 03-03-2016, 06:19 PM
Fire Giant

That's what a good bard does. Make the group as good as it can be. ....Not swarm 40 mobs. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 03-03-2016, 06:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
What did the Bard do in this group to make it work really well? The wife and I (she's a Shaman, I'm a Shadow Knight) have added Bards on occasion but they never really seemed to stack particularly well with our duo. That makes me wonder if you were doing something we weren't.

Danth
Biggest thing would be having the bard chain pull, and add extra HP/mana regen so the shaman can canni more (therefore keep up on heals). The problem your SHM/SHD group has vs. the other combo that SK DPS is vastly inferior to MNK DPS.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:48 PM
Planar Protector

I think you may have hit on why Bards haven't, in the past, synergized particularly well with us: We don't normally need or want chain pulls and torpor already covers the healing/shaman mana regen fairly well. Seems like we only ask for a small portion of the Bard's skill set. I asked about Bards because I group with them so infrequently (they seem really rare, outside raids, at high levels) that I figure perhaps I don't know everything they can do. Would be nice to group with 'em more in-game and try out different strategies.

Danth
Old 03-04-2016, 10:49 AM
Aviak

I intend to play my alt Bard for grouping and no high end raids(no time for that BS). Currently 20 and slowing getting there. I have played one previously so I'm familiar with their group utility and not how to run in circles playing 1 song. In fact I leveled my bard on live through grouping/soloing. Didn't know what swarming even was.
Closed Thread