Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 09:21 AM
Orc

Been farting around on a Necro and having fun with it. Doing the Qeynos area which I haven't done before. Gnoll fangs are ridiculous xp. Already up to level 9.

I made a Human/Bertoxx because why not. Don't care about optimization and wanted to do something different.

I was a little concerned doing the Gnoll turn in might trash my faction with my Guild but even though I've turned in probably 30-40 they still are Amiable. I feel like it would take a ton to get them aggro at me. I'll probably be out of that area long before then.

I will say it's kinda mana intensive to out dps the pet sometimes at low levels. Sometimes I can't tell if it's better to just be constantly fighting with the pet and out dps it when I actually have mana and just eat the xp loss, or whether I should be medding up and taking a few fights here and there when I have the mana to out dps the pet. The advantage to the former is the pet mostly wrecks blue cons right now so I can have it constantly fighting as long as there's spawns. And I can still get full xp on some of them when I have the mana to out dps it. I also almost feel like quantity is preferred if I'm in a quest drop area like Blackburrow because the more kills the more fangs. Xp is almost secondary to how many fangs I can get.

Not sure what the next solo spot will be though. I'd think BB will good til around 12ish. I don't want to go over to unrest etc, prefer to stay out here and try this area because I've never leveled here before. Also I prefer to solo since I don't play a ton. I'd guess the Karanas are the next spot but I'll have to figure out exactly where and what to fight. I do enjoy doing quest turn ins, so if I could find an area to kill stuff and get quest turn ins that'd be cool.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:05 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinoTriz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The Gnoll Fang quest only negatively affects Corrupt Guards and Rogue Guild faction, I believe. So you should be fine. I was fine on my Bertox SK.

You could do the Gnoll Fangs up to 14/15ish, really. That's what I usually do. By then you get burned out anyway. I've even heard of people going until their early 20s.

At around 14 or 15, I do Bandit Sash quest in West Karana.

I think this quest trashes Bloodsabers faction though, so you may want to steer clear of it.

Also, when you're 16 you get Hungry Earth, so you can root rot undead. I usually root rot and then send the pet in at around 49% HP. That's one way to control pet dps
Hm yeah probably want to avoid sashes then. What level are lightstones? I feel like that's one people do a lot that I've never done.

And root rotting undead sounds like a plan for sure. I've tried fear kiting a little bit when I'm outdoors right now, but it's obscenely mana intensive. Casting fear and two dots is practically half my mana pool, and Engulfing Darkness gets resisted all the time too.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Have you played a high level necro at spore king? I have. Next time I’m there I’ll fetch parses. Those mobs live long enough that dots (several of which have big negative resist mods on them) are viable — unless you’ve got velious raid geared melee slumming in a kunark dungeon they are woefully overgeared for or have a haste quadding enchanter pet. 70+ combined dps would not be a challenge there.
So we agree. A trio (or a very bad full group) gives necros time to use the lure dots and hit 70 dps, which is Kunark monk level. In a solid full group, it's touch of night and 60 dps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx
trying to use your velious raid geared monk as some baseline/metric to determine who is “bottom sustained dps” is amusing and not really relevant for 99.9% of the game.
Judging by your signature, you spend most of your EQ time leveling in Kunark dungeons with Coldain level gear. That's of course your choice, but personally I have always preferred to spend my time doing the more available high level content with low numbers. I'm not going to leave my Monk AFK in the EC tunnel because of your sense of propriety. Also, it really isn't that hard to farm up the money to buy a ST key and 2H primal from Aftermath (perhaps they will be looking to build more guild funds with Bellringer in town). Throw in a pair of Wu's Fists of Mastery and the Monk is leaving the Necro in the dust.
Last edited by Raev; 07-18-2018 at 11:02 AM..
Old 07-18-2018, 01:50 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So we agree. A trio (or a very bad full group) gives necros time to use the lure dots and hit 70 dps, which is Kunark monk level. In a solid full group, it's touch of night and 60 dps.
Oh jesus christ. Do I have to spell it out for you?? In high level areas with summoned pet is ~50dps (more with shaman/druid str ... and a bit more with mage haste mask summon). A necro focused on nothing but dps and using the *worst* damage/mana ratio nukes (taps ie touch of night at 2 dmg per mana with alteration spec) at level 60 with NO external mana regen buffs (with demi lich 560 mana/min -- 18.66dps) is 68.67 dps. That is a worst case scenario {doesn't exist} where a necro can do nothing but lifetap with DD lifetaps and fall back on pet dps. This is a level 60 necro with *NOT* kunark BIS raid gear (much less velious raid gear), no POTG, no bard ... and literally doing nothing but casting level 59 touch of night as mana permits. This also assumes there is (literally) zero down time where you can get an extra mana tick or 2. It also assumes that there is no feasible opportunity to use a higher dmg/mana ratio nuke/dot/whatever ... just tap. Even the, the necro (casting only those shitty taps) has ample ability to heal any target for 125/tick, which no other raw dps class can do.

This scenario does not exist, and your inexperience playing this class is showing badly (very badly) right now. Necros are one of those hidden gems.

Give that necro the ability to use dots (or the not worst dmg/mana spell line) ... and you start to see the real picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Judging by your signature, you spend most of your EQ time leveling in Kunark dungeons with Coldain level gear.
I've been overseas deployed with the US military for 6 years. Choice? Sure (kinda), but I've got a decade of raiding bleeding edge EQ content under my belt prior to that from Velious through 2011. As far as p99 goes, I won't sacrifice any amount of my real life QOL (quality of life) to batphone anything at 3am to farm crusty content on an emulated server. Does that make logic any less ... logical? It's math man.

Quote:
That's of course your choice, but personally I have always preferred to spend my time doing the more available high level content with low numbers.
http://wiki.project1999.com/Magelo_Blue:Raev

Aftermath? Doing high level content with low numbers?

/chortle

Quote:
I'm not going to leave my Monk AFK in the EC tunnel because of your sense of propriety.
Nobody asked you to. You're just wrong on this topic.

Quote:
Throw in a pair of Wu's Fists of Mastery and the Monk is leaving the Necro in the dust.
I've grouped with a high level monk with 2x Wu's Fists of Mastery. Necro with pet + nukes/taps/dots still beat their total damage done ... oh and I was healing 125/tick and CC'ing while doing all of the above.

Sorry man, but you're just flat_fucking_wrong.

But let's go back to this:

Quote:
Even in Kunark I was usually hitting 70 dps on my Monk at the spore king, with capped strength and haste being the main difference. In Velious that's up to maybe 95, and will be pushing 110 if the 2HB upgrades and triple attack ever go in.
My 58 mage in the highest areas of Seb etc averages about 120dps under realistic conditions (ie there is not always a mob in camp **all the time** not allowing for any between mob meditating). This doesn't factor in the DS on the tank or the rods I drop on clerics, just a max summoned 57 earth pet + my own nukes. I imagine level 60 water pet + nukes will be quite a lot better in this regards.

_._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._._.

Your velious raid geared (Abashi Rod) monk, parses 26% less now and will parse 10% lower after chardok patch on old kunark group content. If you can manage to chain pull for that seb king group where there is literally no down time, you might keep up with my mage. If there is competent charming chanter, well ... then we both lose.

Does that make a velious raid geared monk not worth it? Of course not. Hell no. Point is - different classes/archetypes ... different jobs. Monks make excellent pullers, tanks, tank + puller ... especially when they are over-geared for the content. My necro can't do that. My mage can't either. My monk can. That's what makes the monk worthwhile.

Necro are (whether you will admit it or not) a medium high sustained dps class that brings CC, heals, rezzes (emergency) and twitches to the table. Raid geared necros compared to raid geared melee fall behind, but that's a small (really small) portion of the EQ that P99 offers us.

I've leveled (without PL) a bunch of classes to 58+. I parse everything along the way. My mage and my necro put out a LOT more damage than my 59 epic/fungi/tstaff monk ... but they don't replace the job my monk can do.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 07-18-2018, 02:01 PM
Planar Protector

PS: raid fights are a different discussion. Pets depending on the fight cause more problems and might not be summoned. Higher level mobs = more resists. In these scenarios both mages and necros have different (but still important) jobs.

But that isn’t the input the OP was asking for.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 07-18-2018, 02:58 PM
Planar Protector

What a confused and angry rant.

I am not and was not criticizing your life choices. I am saying that if you choose to focus on platinum rather than experience, it's not that hard to buy a few lower tier raid items, thus making the lack of good Velious caster gear relevant.

Everything you write, like magicians doing 120 dps or necros doing lots of CC, makes perfect sense if you spend your time in mid 50s PUGs with 50% downtime. None of it makes any sense in good groups, say 20% or less downtime, at higher level areas like the spore king, Siren's Grotto, juggs, HoT, etc.

You know that gamparse works on old fights, right? So there is nothing stopping you from posting a parse and proving me wrong.
Old 07-18-2018, 04:26 PM
Fire Giant

What the fuck happened in this thread?
Old 07-18-2018, 04:32 PM
Planar Protector

120 sustained dps from a 58 mage on juggs and shrooms? i doubt it
Old 07-18-2018, 04:59 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

My 58 mage in the highest areas of Seb etc averages about 120dps under realistic conditions (ie there is not always a mob in camp **all the time** not allowing for any between mob meditating).
I'm not saying this isn't true because I've never played a mage and I don't hang out with many mages, but is this with the mage chain casting nukes the entire fight? In my experience, an average level 50 charmed Kunark warrior mob with VOG will average around 120 DPS against say a 53 mob.

If the wiki is correct the 57 earth pet hits for max 70 which is exactly half of a level 50 Kunark mob and a max level of 48 so it would land less hits, I assume most of the DPS is nukes?
Old 07-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pint [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
120 sustained dps from a 58 mage on juggs and shrooms? i doubt it
Closed Thread