Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You shouldn't be taking hits and bard melee DPS is a joke.
this is the kind of attitude that makes every class that isn't top DPS neglect theirs and makes characters / raids perform poorly

max the dps you can do, it isn't top parse stuff, but every bit contributes

you are a plate class and can tank well enough for a lot of situations, do not ignore ac and hp, because you'll end up getting hit by pulls and getting hit while mezzing stuff to split pulls
Old 03-21-2019, 01:50 PM
Large Rat

In addition to the above gear suggestions (where I agree with most except for weapons, waste of plat compared to instruments and armour), I'd like to recommend Barbed Ringmail Gloves (from Velketor's). I picked up a pair for 1K and they're hard to beat for non-ToV gear.

For shoulder slot, my permanent choice is Imbued Granite Spaulders (from Hole), it's difficult to argue with anything but the weight, wimpy Bards that we are [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As for doing stand-in tanking duty, sure it's not ideal but neither is it an awful choice, given reasonable gear for the job. Bards sport much more defensive cap than offensive, and songs have plenty of potential for pissing off NPCs, at no mana cost.

Finaly, wee little note about Bards and weapons post 20ish level; Really not where I'd put any plat investment, a few utility procs like Orb of Tishan is all I'd consider putting in my main hand. Often consider using a shield in offhand, certainly would if I had a good one with epic and/or beast drums and other main hand useable instruments. I do not nor do I see it happening so I stick with instruments 90% of the time.
Old 03-21-2019, 02:46 PM
Planar Protector

I tank with epic or proc / shield in seb / HoT so a sarnak battle shield or equivalent is good if you want to go that route. If you get primary instruments you can do same.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:00 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by derpcake2 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
max the dps you can do, it isn't top parse stuff, but every bit contributes
If you have enough experience with raids to see the flaws in my advice, then you have enough knowledge that you don't need my advice. If you need my advice, then a Sionachie's or CSS or Jade Mace will be enough DPS for what you are trying to kill. The advice is tailored for the audience.

As for the armor, Lambent is his pre-planar gear. He's L44. Once he's planar, he should upgrade to Imbued Platemail and/or Melodic, which matches my original recommendation. After that, he should be looking towards Twilight, Troubadour, and/or BIS single slot items. But all those gear decisions are out of the scope of where he's at and what he can afford.

I do agree with Galenbor. IGS are fantastic resist/AC gear and hard to replace and fit right in with my recommendation to prioritize resists. Orb of Tishan and other proc items are good toolkit items. But neither are necessary and you can get to 60 without them. And let me be perfectly clear, the most important thing you can do to improve your character in Classic Everquest is GET MAX LEVEL. No amount of gear is going to replace L60.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:38 PM
Sarnak

Igs, tranix crown, breath of harmony, chitin wristgaurd, keep saving for a lodi sheild. Offer 10k for selos drums and you might get it, they’re pretty common.

Singing steel helmet, boots, bracer are good too.

I lug most of these around on my 60 bard.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:23 PM
Planar Protector

Some of the guardian armor that people farm in Skyshrine is good too and you could probably get it for free. The bracers, belt, legs come to mind.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:08 PM
Planar Protector

resist gear.

goblin gazughi ring.

ss boots (short duration lev), helm (eye), bracer (ds).

jboots (clicky jboots is useful for bards)

BoH if you are grouping. Melodious Trucheon is fun and has uses.

Lute of the Howler (werewolf illusion and good mod)

Best drum you can afford (or the kunark quest drum).

OT Hammer (everyone needs this)
Old 03-22-2019, 08:34 PM
Planar Protector

Tboots where its at for bards. F j boots
Old 03-23-2019, 05:59 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Don’t blow your load on selos. Walrus is where it’s at.

With 12k I’d get walrus, mystic koada, ss helm/gaunt/boots/bracer, and prob a BoH/or that new one from Chardok and guardians mace and some cheap worn haste.

Use the wiki gearing section on bard page, Focus on hp & dex(missed notes suck)
What new one from Chardok?
Old 03-23-2019, 08:42 PM
Planar Protector

Hes probaly referrring to a symphonic saber which you dont really need.
Closed Thread